Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Themaltake Case - fitting hard drives query

Hi Guys

I just bought a new Thermaltake case - an Aguilla.

It looks very impressivie and I was pleased with the quality of the case.

However, I am now building my PC and cannot believe the hard drive cage set up.

It is on the side, ie when you install a drive into the cage the drive goes sideways across the case (in every other computer I have seen the inside of the drives always go in frontways so the cables poke out the back of the cage.

But on my Aguilla the cables have to be fitted to the side so that when I refit the side case it touches the cables.

Is this is a poor design or are all cases going this way, or have I misunderstood the way the cage goes in. (The manual is very brief and the pictures do not show cleary the way to install dirves.

Also I have just noticed that fitting the mother board support screws is very hard, on most boards I have been able to screw them in with my fingers and then tighten them with pliers. On this case I have to use pliers all the way ! it is very tedious and time consuming.

Any comments ?

Regards

Digby
    NZ

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    My thoughts are: Can you turn the HDDs 180 degrees? And if the support screws aren't easily screwed in. I say wrong screws or wrong posts.
    Good luck & keep us updated.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    can I curse? FUCK!
    Is it possible to give a link to the case? I might have an idea of what you mean by the HD bays.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by digmen1 View Post
    It is on the side, ie when you install a drive into the cage the drive goes sideways across the case (in every other computer I have seen the inside of the drives always go in frontways so the cables poke out the back of the cage.

But on my Aguilla the cables have to be fitted to the side so that when I refit the side case it touches the cables.
    Many new case designs feature the "cross-carcass" HDD cages.

Power/data cables with 90° fittings on the drive ends will solve your interference issues.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    lynx's Avatar .
    Link

As far as I can see, the cross case mounting is intended for the WD Raptor-X drive, just to show off its workings.

Normal hdd mountings appear to be in the removeable cage behind the front fan.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Hi Guys

Thanks for the input

I have now assembled my PC.

The removeable hard drive cage does indeed result in the drives sitting across the case rather than lengthwise as is traditional. This results in the connecting wires touching the side panel. Whilst the cables do fit in, I am not that keen on the way the cables have to bend where they sit by the side panel.

Clocker says you can buy 90 degree plug cables. That sounds good, but I had not heard of them and Thermaltake did not say in their manual that I should buy a set. And if they made the HDD cage in the normal orientation one would not need them.

And I must report that I was very disappointed in the mounting screws for the ATX motherboard. I needed to insert 8 of them and I found that inserting each one was technical feat ! I had to use a pair of pliers to get them started and had to use pliers all the way.

On other cases I was able to insert the plugs with my fingers and then tighten them up with pliers.

I was not able to insert one plug meaning that my motherboard is now suppoorted only by 7 plugs rather than the 8 it should have. Also the panel into which the plugs are inserted is very flimsy and it moves easily with a bit of pressure.

Whilst I am impressed with most of the Themaltake Aguilla's design and manufacturing and finish. It has quite a few good points eg the cable lengths supplied are very generous, they provide enough screws to assemble 3 or 4 computers ! the case and doors are nicely designed.

But these two points put me off it.

PS I have since found several sites that review cases in great detail and I wish I had studied a few of these, but then I suppose I would never make up my mind on buying a case as there are so many !

Regards

Digby

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by lynx View Post
    Link

As far as I can see, the cross case mounting is intended for the WD Raptor-X drive, just to show off its workings.

Normal hdd mountings appear to be in the removeable cage behind the front fan.
    They are not normal due to the fact that the drives sit across the case rather than lengthwise.

Regards

Digby

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    You didn't mention if the drive could be turn 180 degrees as zapjb mentioned. It could solve the touching wires.

Btw, those "8 plugs" are called standoffs.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Virtualbody1234 View Post
    You didn't mention if the drive could be turn 180 degrees as zapjb mentioned. It could solve the touching wires.

Btw, those "8 plugs" are called standoffs.
    I did look at that, but there is a big sheet of metal at the other side with a hole in it, but there is not enough room to connect the cables.

Thanks for the correct name - standoffs !

Regards

Digby

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by Virtualbody1234 View Post
    You didn't mention if the drive could be turn 180 degrees as zapjb mentioned.
    Quote Originally Posted by digmen1 View Post

I did look at that, but there is a big sheet of metal at the other side with a hole in it, but there is not enough room to connect the cables.
    I just scanned a couple of reviews and they both showed the HDD(s) mounted with the cables in back, toward the motherboard tray.
    Neither mentioned any clearance issues with the wiring in this config.

I think you might be missing something here...
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast