Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cable vs dsl

Poster BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    i was told taht cable is better than dsl for broadband, is this true if so why?

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    sleepyy's Avatar Old-Fashioned BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    It's is better but i don't know why

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    DooMeD68's Avatar Domain Of Sutekh
    Quote Originally Posted by esco123 View Post
    i was told taht cable is better than dsl for broadband, is this true if so why?
    THE BASICS

DSL

Bandwidth - From 756 Kbps to 24 Mbps, but you pay higher prices to get the higher rates of data transfer. Also, DSL is typically limited to 286 kbps upstream.

Not Shared - Bandwidth is dedicated, not shared, between the user's location and the nearest central office of your ISP.

More Secure - DSL is generally considered more secure since it uses a dedicated rather than shared connection to your ISP.

Distance Sensitive - The further you are from your DSL service provider's facilities, the less speed you will get.

CABLE

Bandwidth - Although you can theoretically get up to 60 Mbps downstream, the average rate is around 5 Mbps to 6 Mbps downstream and 384 Kbps upstream.

Shared - The bandwidth to your Cable ISP is shared by you and all the other Internet users in your area using same service.

Less Secure - Cable is a shared medium that is subject to eavesdropping, denial of service attacks, service theft, etc.

Not Distance Sensitive - You receive the same rate of speed no matter what distance you are from your provider.

Do Cable Users Really Share Bandwidth While DSL Users Do Not?

Many salespersons for DSL providers will tell you that DSL does not share bandwidth while Cable does, thus slowing down Cable Internet connections when many people near you are using the Internet. While this is true, it is a general statement that can cause you to make an uninformed decision if you think it means DSL will always be faster than Cable.
    For example, if your local Cable Internet provider has enough bandwidth in your area that can handle a lot of users, the speed of your connection will hardly be affected by this sharing. Also, if you use DSL and your DSL provider's central office if far away from your home, your connection will be slower than normal even though you aren't sharing that connection with anyone else. In such a case, Cable would be better, since Cable maintains its rate of data transfer better over long distances while higher ADSL speeds can be limited by distance.

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    absolutely cable!!!

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    Poster BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    DooMeD68 thanks for the help, really helped.

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    boinkme
    I hear the cable isp's are messing with the torrent traffic. My personal assumpion is that they deduct the amount of torrent upload traffic from bandwidth they allocate to you in some manner. In other words, when I'm uploading torrents my download speed sucks ass. There are several law suites out againt them for their messing with your torrent traffic.

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    Ivanov's Avatar BitTorrent Addict BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    I hate the both. I prefer internet trough LAN - no modems, faster internet, ability to have 1:1 download:upload speed.
    “For her, yeah. At the end of the day, it's all about her. It's always been about her."

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    Tokeman's Avatar Ron Paul 2012 BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    The dsl around here has half the upload capability of the cable offered here, and the cable isn't that much upload... and the dsl costs more here too, so that was my decision for cable.

I'm hoping FIOS comes here soon, but seems to only be on the east coast.

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    Poster
    Totally depends on your area is to which is best. Do your research

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    Where I live, cable is by far cheaper than DSL.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast