Thread: For those who wants DX10 but dislikes Vista.

MultiForce's Avatar Poster
    Microsoft.Windows.Server.2008.x86.WorkStation.Edition-iND

This is a stripped down version of Windows Sever 2008 Standard Edition.

I tested it because I don't find Vista very useful for my needs (I fucking hate it to be honest), but I wanted to test DX10.

I've tested this on my gaming computer with quad core, 4 GB RAM, Raptor disk, 2 X 8800GTX (SLI) and X-FI Extreme Gamer Fatality (bla bla bla). 7 minutes on the installation.
    Everything works perfectly with regular Vista drivers and I'm able to run Crysis on Very High on everything without lag.

I have no idea why but I got a couple of my XP games that don't work in Vista to work on this thingy (might just be "luck").

You'll notice that you have to enable the sound service to get sound, but HW acceleration etc. is not turned off like in Windows Server 2003.

Microsoft.Windows.Server.2008.x86.WorkStation.Edition-iND

min Req:
    CPU 1Ghz, 256MB ram, 2.7GB Hdd space
    rec Req:
    CPU dual core, 1GB ram.

installaion info:
    burn
    install
    u have 240 DAYS to activated (using rearm)(u might find crack later)

main reasons to this release:
    1. vista is bloatware
    2. ppl say win2008 is faster (10%) then vista

important notices:
    (1)i had to remove things from it (like drivers media samples Languages)
    to make fit to one cd
    and (2)i have f00king low upload speed so i couldnt upload the 3in1(full, normal, slim)
    and (3)u need to enable aero manually (dep on how much ram u have) just enable the services for more info - google
    http://www.binsearch.info/?q=windows...ge=200&server=

I'm sure there is a torrent somewhere for those who want it.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    This is a great post in the sence that if you want to add more than 4 gb of ram ,I read the server editions have no limits on system ram .

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Quote Originally Posted by peat moss View Post
    This is a great post in the sence that if you want to add more than 4 gb of ram ,I read the server editions have no limits on system ram .
    32 bit is still limited but it seems to be able to use more than XP 32 bit etc.

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa366778.aspx

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    LaPistola's Avatar about BT Rep: +2
    thanks i am building my new gaming rig this weekend and I think I will try this os out. I've never used windows server before but I've got nothing to lose... btw is this a final release or one of the release candidates?
    Last edited by LaPistola; 03-14-2008 at 08:02 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboab View Post
    I don't know about the north but in the south an Englishman is about as welcome as a fart in a space suit.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by MultiForce View Post
    32 bit is still limited but it seems to be able to use more than XP 32 bit etc.

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa366778.aspx

Ya what got me interested was the memory and DX10 as a few of my friends are gamers but not hard core . They would ask me why can't I bump my memory to 8 gb, it's so cheap right now .

Found a link here :

http://blogs.msdn.com/adioltean/arch...26/422326.aspx

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    necromantic's Avatar ♫ ♪ ♪ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪ BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    This looks like a good idea. Anyone here running Server 08 on their desktop?

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by necromantic View Post
    This looks like a good idea. Anyone here running Server 08 on their desktop?
    No but was thinking of buying a new computer ( cheap one ) and with memory being so cheap thought might be a good O/S option to explore ?

Months ago, a work make had mentioned he wanted 8 gb of ram and at the time told him it was not an option with his 32 bit XP .

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    In comparison to XP is the server 2008 faster ? Not in gaming but general system responsiveness ?

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Its faster than Vista ,according to some if config'd right . Here's a blog about it .

http://exo-blog.blogspot.com/2008/03...one-right.html

Config Win 2008 Server :

http://www.win2008workstation.com/wordpress/

Read this part very carefully ... remember the trouble we had with programs or device drivers that would n't work with Vista or XP .

Additional Information

Forum: Place here all your questions, problems and solutions about configuring and using Windows Server 2008 as Workstation.

Security Software: Check what Antivirus and Firewall programs are compatible with Windows Server 2008.

Games and Entertainment: List of Games that can (not) be played Windows Server 2008.

Wish List: Features we want to have in Windows Server 2008, but aren’t working yet.
    Last edited by peat moss; 03-20-2008 at 11:05 PM.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Xadloki View Post
    In comparison to XP is the server 2008 faster ? Not in gaming but general system responsiveness ?
    I feel it is about the same as XP but it depends on HW. I use 10-15 minutes on a XP install and this one uses 7 minutes. The startup is also much faster than XP.

The point is to get DX10 and run Vista programs without installing Vista.

For some reason it also copies files faster than Vista. Several minutes on a 20GB file over network.

Its faster than Vista ,according to some if config'd right . Here's a blog about it .

http://exo-blog.blogspot.com/2008/03...one-right.html

Config Win 2008 Server :

http://www.win2008workstation.com/wordpress/

Read this part very carefully ... remember the trouble we had with programs or device drivers that would n't work with Vista or XP .

Additional Information

Forum: Place here all your questions, problems and solutions about configuring and using Windows Server 2008 as Workstation.

Security Software: Check what Antivirus and Firewall programs are compatible with Windows Server 2008.

Games and Entertainment: List of Games that can (not) be played Windows Server 2008.

Wish List: Features we want to have in Windows Server 2008, but aren’t working yet.
    I wonder if MS is going to keep their hands off Windows Server 2008 keys like they did with Windows Server 2003 so you can use Windows Update etc.
    Last edited by MultiForce; 03-20-2008 at 11:17 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost