Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any rTorrent users here?

arkiebrian's Avatar Capitalist Pig BT Rep: +22BT Rep +22BT Rep +22BT Rep +22BT Rep +22
    I'm thinking of switching to this because it looks like the code is really geared towards high performance. I understand it's text-based which is fine with me as I'm used to coding on AS/400 machines (anybody heard of those).

Anyway, I'd like to hear if rTorrent really is high-performance and what kind of speeds you might be getting with it on your seedbox. I'm getting a new, higher-performing box soon after trying out the concept with an entry-level model.

Merry Christmas!

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    jayz707's Avatar the human BT Rep: +1
    haven't used it but i hear all good things about it, and it is said to be really speedy when seeding

ps: AS/400... those mainframes???

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    Poster BT Rep: +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16
    I use rtorrent all the time on my linux seedbox with screen. It's very easy to use, fast, and easy to customize with rtorrent.rc. No complaints whatsoever.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    arkiebrian's Avatar Capitalist Pig BT Rep: +22BT Rep +22BT Rep +22BT Rep +22BT Rep +22
    Quote Originally Posted by jayz707 View Post
    haven't used it but i hear all good things about it, and it is said to be really speedy when seeding
    Yes...that's what I'm looking for. I've found some good installation guides. I'm thinking I'll use the Ubuntu Linux flavor since that seems to be the popular brand on the Internet these days.

It's IBM's 'midrange' computers that really function as mainframes. I don't know if companies really use mainframes any more. I believe the AS/400s have taken over. It would make an awesome seedbox but I would get fired...

Quote Originally Posted by dythim View Post
    I use rtorrent all the time on my linux seedbox with screen. It's very easy to use, fast, and easy to customize with rtorrent.rc. No complaints whatsoever.
    Cool...do you come pretty close to the 10M U/D as advertised?
    Last edited by arkiebrian; 12-25-2007 at 05:42 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    jayz707's Avatar the human BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by arkiebrian View Post
    Yes...that's what I'm looking for. I've found some good installation guides. I'm thinking I'll use the Ubuntu Linux flavor since that seems to be the popular brand on the Internet these days.

It's IBM's 'midrange' computers that really function as mainframes. I don't know if companies really use mainframes any more. I believe the AS/400s have taken over. It would make an awesome seedbox but I would get fired...

Quote Originally Posted by dythim View Post
    Cool...do you come pretty close to the 10M U/D as advertised?
    i guess debain would be a wiser choice if you are considering a OS for a seed box(which is sort of a server...), its more robust stable and speedy... anyways i guess ubuntu would be much easier to setup and such...

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by jayz707 View Post
    i guess debain would be a wiser choice if you are considering a OS for a seed box(which is sort of a server...), its more robust stable and speedy... anyways i guess ubuntu would be much easier to setup and such...

Yeah I'm not familiar with Ubuntu...I'm using Fedora right now - it's the most stable one out there I suppose. They're all really the same just have slightly different commands depending on what you are doing anyway. I liked Suse for a long time but I've moved away from there.

Lots of help on Debian out there too. Maybe that would be a good choice.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    Poster BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    used to use rtorrent. But I needed a good webui. There are alot of webui's out for rtorrent but they all suck big time, atleast compared to utorrent's ui.

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Submission View Post
    used to use rtorrent. But I needed a good webui. There are alot of webui's out for rtorrent but they all suck big time, atleast compared to utorrent's ui.
    Why do you feel you needed the webui?

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    MODERATION BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    Web ui is very easy for use. rTorrent is more complicated but u can reach high speeds than with web ui.

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Luchohhh View Post
    Web ui is very easy for use. rTorrent is more complicated but u can reach high speeds than with web ui.
    From what I've been reading about it the line commands seem to be the way to go for the highest performance. I don't have an issue with this. I'm a coder dating back to the DOS days

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast