Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Things to consider before purchasing a PSP?

mr. nails's Avatar m@D @n!m3 BT Rep: +1
    so, i think it's about time i bought myself a psp. there's actually a pretty decent library for it now. mostly buying this for the on the go rpg's and sum on the go cartoons/anime/movies it has to offer as well (via mem sticks).

games i'll be getting:

1. final fantasy tactics
    2. star ocean(s)
    3. persona 1
    4. god of war
    5. crisis core

and the such.

now, is there anything i should consider be4 buying one of these? i know the new bundle pack including gran turismo is cummin' out and the "new" pspgo will debut soon. one major question i have is will the psp 3000 models allow downloading thru the psn like the pspgo does?
    Alamo Drafthouse!

Last Game Completed: Aliens: Colonial Marines (PC) 10-13-13
    Now Playing: Paper Mario 64
    Total Games Completed: 503

2. Games   -   #2
    Quote Originally Posted by mr. nails View Post

now, is there anything i should consider be4 buying one of these?
    Do you really need it and will you even use it ?

3. Games   -   #3
    iLOVENZB's Avatar FST Crew BT Rep: +1
    so, i think it's about time i bought myself a psp. there's actually a pretty decent library for it now. mostly buying this for the on the go rpg's and sum on the go cartoons/anime/movies it has to offer as well (via mem sticks).

games i'll be getting:

1. final fantasy tactics
    2. star ocean(s)
    3. persona 1
    4. god of war
    5. crisis core

and the such.

now, is there anything i should consider be4 buying one of these? i know the new bundle pack including gran turismo is cummin' out and the "new" pspgo will debut soon. one major question i have is will the psp 3000 models allow downloading thru the psn like the pspgo does?
    Why wouldn't the 3000 model not go through the PSN? I'd wait till the GEN team sort out 5.55 cfw

Quote Originally Posted by Moksu View Post

He wouldn't ask if he wasn't

Check this out: http://au.gamespot.com/features/6196930/index.html
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music"

4. Games   -   #4
    brento's Avatar Poster
    Consider whether or not your going to mod it. I would recommend modding it for sure, it will make your purchase more worthwhile.

5. Games   -   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Moksu View Post

no, i don't "need" it and yes i would use it.

i'd primarily be using it @ school as a walkman and watching sum robot chicken. :p there's also a handful of games i'd like to play on it now as well too.

i'm guessing by modding it i can play emu and that's pretty much it? if modding it allows me to play other psp games on it i prob won't be doing that. this little guy doesn't have much to offer in terms of games imo.

thx 4 the comparison clips. yeah, the 3k looks a lot better. and as to my question whether or not the 3k can dl thru the psn i have no clue. that's why i asked. on this psn subject.. do i have to have a ps3 in order to access it or can i just log into it without? no plans atm to purchase a ps3. 3 bills still isn't worth it imo.
    Alamo Drafthouse!

6. Games   -   #6
    beansis's Avatar Pussy Liquor
    I would make sure that the motherboard can be flashed, because I think there are still certain models that cannot be flashed, not quite certain tho (modding means pimpin out the case in the psp world)

i have the original fat from way back with 5.00 m33-6, i don't trust anything other than m33 . . .
    psp was first thing I ever really "messed" around with

now i use it mostly for music cuz that way i can delete tracks that i dont like from albums that i download on the go, unlike on an ipod

also dont forget cxmb so you can get rid of the lame xmb theme
    bookr and popsloader pretty cool too if you care about ebooks or ps1 games

i dont really game with it any more but from what il recommend rockband, m of h, latest starwars, midnight club la remix

actually im kinda waiting for fifa 10

anyways you can use psn on any psp but why do that when you have pspiso??

also a site called pspripkits is handy if you want to make ur games smaller, and also the umdgen program

i think u can find the 8gb mem stick for about $30, get a couple of those

dont get the pspgo, its just $ony's way of making more $$, and you cant flash it im sure u could find a great deal on a psp slim

anyways, best of luck to you

7. Games   -   #7
    I'd certainly look into price differences between the 2000 and the 3000.

Based on prices, when I looked, secondhand prices, I wasn't impressed with the 3000.

If you change to a custom firmware, you'd be able to play PSP games off of a memory card, or even rip them to the memory card. You'd also be able to play PSX games, like FFT. You'd also be able to play Emus, etc., not so great if I remember though.

I don't think there's a real upgrade from the 2000 to the 3000, the biggest upgrade was from 1000 to 2000, getting 64mb of RAM instead of 32.

It's been awhile though since I've done anything though...

8. Games   -   #8
    iLOVENZB's Avatar FST Crew BT Rep: +1
    Also don't forget that it's safer to backup your games (rip to iso). It's also faster loading ISO's than it is to load the UMD's.

UMD movies never really took off so there really isn't any point discussing it
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music"

9. Games   -   #9
    UncleElroy's Avatar Poster
    I would defo check the model you are thinking of getting, all of the new slims cannot be modded with the Pandora battery. If you could I would buy a slim that is already modded to save the hassle.

10. Games   -   #10
    so, if i decided to buy the new 3k psp there is NO chance i'll ever be able to mod it or there is a chance in the future? the cool kids making the updated flash just haven't gotten around to the newest version of the 3k yet?

on a side note:

seems a "PsP 4000" has been in the works and is releasing along side the PsPGo. i googled and went thru many pages and for the most part the GO was named teh 4k, but have found 3 or so pages listing the Go as it's name and teh 4k as a new model. the Go is NOT to replace the 3k. that's the 4k's job and supposedly NOT losing UMD support.

PsP 4000

not much else about the details have been revealed. we'll see.
    Alamo Drafthouse!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast