Thread: Looking for a newsreader to replace Alt.Binz

I’ve been using Alt.Binz ever since I started using newsgroups, and I’ve found it perfect for my mostly TV related downloading. The most important feature was using it to download TV shows automatically using the RSS feed from nzbs.org and then having those downloads extract into individually selected folders. For the past week, however, the RSS function has stopped working. The feed from nzbs.org loads, and Alt.Binz is able to find the files that I’ve requested for download, but they aren’t added to my queue. The same thing happens using the RSS feed on NZBMatrix.com. I’m hoping that someone can point in the direction of a newsreader similar to Alt.Binz that will able to do the same thing. I tried SabNZB for a while, but couldn’t really work it the way that I like.

Thanks for any help!

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    ericab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    try sabnzbd again
    An Excerpt from: A Declaration of the Independence of Cyberspace
    by John Perry Barlow
    Governments of the Industrial World, you weary giants of flesh and steel, I come from Cyberspace, the new home of Mind. On behalf of the future, I ask you of the past to leave us alone. You are not welcome among us. You have no sovereignty where we gather [...] I declare the global social space we are building to be naturally independent of the tyrannies you seek to impose on us.
    Read more here

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    Thanks for the advise. I just had another look at SabNZB, but I still haven't been able to completely get a hang of it. I will have another go tomorrow, but the RSS instructions confuse me.

Say, for example, I want to download an episode of a television show which aired last night, and only the HD version, and also select the folder that it extracts to. Is that possible to set up on SabNZB? How do I set up my filter so that it "requires" the HD file for one program, but can download the regular XVID file for others? And is the only way to make each program download and extract into seperate folders by creating a catergory for each show and then selected that in my RSS feed. Sorry if that doesn't make any sense.

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    ericab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    An Excerpt from: A Declaration of the Independence of Cyberspace
    by John Perry Barlow
    Governments of the Industrial World, you weary giants of flesh and steel, I come from Cyberspace, the new home of Mind. On behalf of the future, I ask you of the past to leave us alone. You are not welcome among us. You have no sovereignty where we gather [...] I declare the global social space we are building to be naturally independent of the tyrannies you seek to impose on us.
    Read more here

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    sabnzbd is king!

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    Disme's Avatar I'm Belgian BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    Quote Originally Posted by Duron View Post
    sabnzbd is king!
    True story!
    Can you feel the LOVE

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    link2009's Avatar NZBer
    Personally, I like SABNZBD because it is free and has about the same functionality (if not more in certain cases) than other popular news readers (Newsleecher, Alt.Binz). But, if I am at my local Windows machine, I will almost always use Newsleecher, since the interface is clean, simple and managing downloads is a breeez, imo.

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    i never used rss but i really like alt binz ,i even paid for the full version lol .

9. Newsgroups   -   #9
    tabalogino
    Quote Originally Posted by the mighty View Post
    Thanks for the advise. I just had another look at SabNZB, but I still haven't been able to completely get a hang of it. I will have another go tomorrow, but the RSS instructions confuse me.

Say, for example, I want to download an episode of a television show which aired last night, and only the HD version, and also select the folder that it extracts to. Is that possible to set up on SabNZB? How do I set up my filter so that it "requires" the HD file for one program, but can download the regular XVID file for others? And is the only way to make each program download and extract into seperate folders by creating a catergory for each show and then selected that in my RSS feed. Sorry if that doesn't make any sense.
    As "the mighty" reading won't be a matter for you (lol). The link posted by ericab "http://wiki.sabnzbd.org/configure-rss-v2" shows how to DIYS.
    BTW: Sabnzbd is like linux (if you can configure things yourself, there's nothing better in the market).
    Last edited by tabalogino; 11-06-2010 at 01:49 AM.

10. Newsgroups   -   #10
    SABnzb is the only way to go - it works flawlessly with my RSS feeds from both NZBMatrix and NZBS.org