Thread: Apple faces suit over iPod-iTunes link

Hairbautt's Avatar *haircut
    As if its options woes weren't trouble enough, Apple Computer Inc. said Friday it is facing several federal lawsuits, including one alleging the company created an illegal monopoly by tying iTunes music and video sales to its market-leading iPod portable players.

The case, filed July 21, is over Apple's use of a copy-protection system that generally prevents iTunes music and video from playing on rival players. Likewise, songs purchased elsewhere aren't easily playable on iPods.

The plaintiff is seeking unspecified damages and other relief. The court denied Apple's motion to dismiss the complaint on Dec. 20.

Another lawsuit, filed Nov. 7, alleges that the logic board of Apple's iBook G4 fails at an abnormally high rate. The plaintiff is seeking unspecified damages. In a filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission, Apple said its response to the complaint is not yet due.

The Cupertino, Calif.-based company also disclosed that PhatRat Technology LLC filed a lawsuit Oct. 24 alleging patent infringement. The Nike-iPod product in question, developed jointly with Nike Inc., allow runners to keep track of how far and how fast they've gone. The company's response to the complaint is not yet due.

Separately, Apple is facing a securities lawsuit accusing the company and some of its current and former officers of improperly backdating stock-option grants, failing to properly account for them and making false financial statements. Defendants responses to the complaint are not yet due.

The lawsuits, many of which seek class-action status, were disclosed in Apple's delayed regulatory filing with the SEC.

The company cleared Chief Executive Steve Jobs and the rest of its current management of misconduct involving the stock-option practice, despite Jobs' awareness of favorable grant dates. The company restated past earnings Friday as a result of its three-month probe.

Apple shares rose about 4.9 percent to close at $84.84 Friday on the Nasdaq Stock Market following the announcement.

Source: Yahoo! News
    _________________________________________________________________________________________
    Last edited by Alien5; Jun 6th, 2006 at
    06:36 PM..

2. News (Archive)   -   #2
    Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!
    That first one about about the illegal monopoly is bullshit.

Why should Apple be obligated to make sure the music and videos run on other shit?

It sounds like too many people bought the iPod and so complain that it's a monopoly.

Newsflash: There were other viable alternatives to the iPod.
    iTunes wasn't the only music store.

If you buy shit from iTunes then stop complaining.

3. News (Archive)   -   #3
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman™ View Post

Why should Apple be obligated to make sure the music and videos run on other shit?

It sounds like too many people bought the iPod and so complain that it's a monopoly.

An MP3 player other than an iPod!?

People are sheep. I bought my two iPods because of the enormous range of accessories that were available. Obvioulsly, I didn't purchase any music via iTunes though.

I will never give Apple another penny of my hard earned cash, that's for sure.

My first iPod was the original iPod. It's now in a landfill somewhere. It stopped working and Apple wanted $99 just to send it in and have it diagnosed, repairs would be additional costs. My second iPod was a Nano. It completely died on me on three separate occasions and had to be completely replaced, all within around 9 months. The fourth time it died, I gave it to my sister since she was about to buy one. She had it replaced, but I'm not sure if it's even still working.

One of the times I took the Nano in to the Apple store, I asked what I could do to maybe keep it from breaking. The woman asked if I owned a PC or a Mac. I told her I owned a PC, and she says, "Buy a Mac." Buy a $2,000 computer to make a $250 MP3 player work?!?!

I thanked her for my new iPod and told her that her precious company should realize that 98% of computers are PC's, and that it might be a good business move to make them compatible with both. What a dumb bitch.

yo

4. News (Archive)   -   #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman™ View Post

An MP3 player other than an iPod!?

People are sheep. I bought my two iPods because of the enormous range of accessories that were available. Obvioulsly, I didn't purchase any music via iTunes though.

I will never give Apple another penny of my hard earned cash, that's for sure.

My first iPod was the original iPod. It's now in a landfill somewhere. It stopped working and Apple wanted $99 just to send it in and have it diagnosed, repairs would be additional costs. My second iPod was a Nano. It completely died on me on three separate occasions and had to be completely replaced, all within around 9 months. The fourth time it died, I gave it to my sister since she was about to buy one. She had it replaced, but I'm not sure if it's even still working.

One of the times I took the Nano in to the Apple store, I asked what I could do to maybe keep it from breaking. The woman asked if I owned a PC or a Mac. I told her I owned a PC, and she says, "Buy a Mac." Buy a $2,000 computer to make a $250 MP3 player work?!?!

I thanked her for my new iPod and told her that her precious company should realize that 98% of computers are PC's, and that it might be a good business move to make them compatible with both. What a dumb bitch.
    After looking at what was available, the iPod wasn't the best mp3 player.

People are sheep indeed. Most people that I know that bought one, never looked elsewhere. They "heard" it was so great and then wanted one.

5. News (Archive)   -   #5
    Hairbautt's Avatar *haircut
    I have a 30GB Video iPod, I seriously have never had any problems and the accessories are great IMO.

Although iTunes once wouldn't recognize this one song and I couldn't add it to the library, but I just redownloaded it.

The iPod is more stylish, though.
    _________________________________________________________________________________________
    Last edited by Alien5; Jun 6th, 2006 at
    06:36 PM..

6. News (Archive)   -   #6
    Poster
    just get the songs of limewire , who cares about purchasing music , IMO this legal battle is just another stunt to bring IPOD and ITUNES in the market

but then again

The legal action is perfectly logical as they are playing a monopoly

7. News (Archive)   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by neotheone View Post
    just get the songs of limewire , who cares about purchasing music , IMO this legal battle is just another stunt to bring IPOD and ITUNES in the market

but then again

The legal action is perfectly logical as they are playing a monopoly
    It is totally illogical. It is as illogical as suing Paramount cuz you can't copy a DVD movie to your computer.