Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: US 'no longer technology king'

popopot's Avatar To Me, To You BT Rep: +5
    The US has lost its position as the world's primary engine of technology innovation, according to a report by the World Economic Forum. The US is now ranked seventh in the body's league table measuring the impact of technology on the development of nations. A deterioration of the political and regulatory environment in the US prompted the fall, the report said. The top spot went for the first time to Denmark, followed by Sweden.

Innovation
    Countries were judged on the integration of technology in business, the infrastructure available, government policy favourable for fostering a culture of innovation and progress and leadership in promoting the usage of the latest information technology tools. The Networked Readiness Index, the sixth of its kind published by the World Economic Forum with Insead, the Paris-based business school, scrutinised progress in 122 economies worldwide.

Despite losing its top position, the US still maintained a strong focus on innovation, driven by one of the world's best tertiary education systems and its high degree of co-operation with industry, the report said. The country's efficient market environment, conducive to the availability of venture capital, and the sophistication of financial markets, was also given recognition.

Nordic crown
    Denmark is now regarded as the world leader in technological advancement, with its Nordic neighbours Sweden, Finland and Norway claiming second, fourth and 10th place respectively. "Denmark, in particular, has benefited from the very effective government e-leadership, reflected in early liberalisation of the telecommunications sector, a first-rate regulatory environment and large availability of e-government services," said Irene Mia, senior economist at World Economic Forum.

European countries to make the top 20 included Switzerland in fifth place, the Netherlands, one of the most improved in sixth, the UK (nine), Germany (16), Austria (17) and Estonia (20). While countries from Asia and the Pacific continued to progress, the powerhouse economies of China and India both showed a downward trend. India was four positions down on last year to 44th, suffering from weak infrastructure and a very low level of individual usage of personal computers and the internet.

China was knocked to 59th place, nine positions down, with information technology uptake in Chinese firms lagging.

NETWORKED READINESS INDEX RANKINGS 2006 (2005)

1: Denmark (3)
    2: Sweden (8)
    3: Singapore (2)
    4: Finland (5)
    5: Switzerland (9)
    6: Netherlands (12)
    7: US (1)
    8: Iceland (4)
    9: UK (10)
    10: Norway (13)

Source: WEF

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6502725.stm
    Last edited by Hairbautt; 03-29-2007 at 06:40 PM. Reason: Added Image.

2. News (Archive)   -   #2
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    US 'no longer technology king'
    Were we ever? I thought the Japs had that title on lock-down.

EDIT: wtf...Japs aren't even on that list.

yo

3. News (Archive)   -   #3
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizo View Post
    US 'no longer technology king'
    Were we ever?
    yes, 2005 apparently.

4. News (Archive)   -   #4
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Quote Originally Posted by rossco View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizo View Post
    Were we ever?
    yes, 2005 apparently.
    I was being jocular.

The thread title leads one to believe this article is about the leaders in technology development, when in fact it's about which countries have the greatest, "impact of technology on the development of nations".

China is 59th, ffs.

yo

5. News (Archive)   -   #5
    silent h3ro's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +9BT Rep +9
    Look at the picture it has a Chinese/Japanese looking guy in it.

I always thought Japan was the leader because they get most of our "new" technology first and then we get it. China just makes the electronics they don't really use them like the Japanese or Americans from what I've heard about them and America is just a huge consumer of electronics but we do not produce it.

6. News (Archive)   -   #6
    kirktrix's Avatar Killing Zone BT Rep: +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16
    What kind of innovation technology mention here? Because i thought Japanese is the country with more advance technology....
    "Death is the result of weakness. The strong are the only ones who survive."

“I am prepared to die, but there is no cause for which I am prepared to kill.”

7. News (Archive)   -   #7
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Quote Originally Posted by kirktrix View Post
    What kind of innovation technology mention here? Because i thought Japanese is the country with more advance technology....
    Read my post.

yo

8. News (Archive)   -   #8
    SalsaMan's Avatar vamos a bailar! BT Rep: +2
    I think a more relevant study (imo) would include be the availability of technology to the average citizen, not just the affect on the country's development.

In this case, Japan would definitely come out in the top few spots...

9. News (Archive)   -   #9
    kirktrix's Avatar Killing Zone BT Rep: +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16
    Now i understand....That's why the majority of the countries listed here are also the richest countries in the world.
    "Death is the result of weakness. The strong are the only ones who survive."

“I am prepared to die, but there is no cause for which I am prepared to kill.”

10. News (Archive)   -   #10
    perastikos's Avatar Trade? No, thanks BT Rep: +17BT Rep +17BT Rep +17BT Rep +17
    Quote Originally Posted by popopot View Post
    Despite losing its top position, the US still maintained a strong focus on innovation, driven by one of the world's best tertiary education systems and its high degree of co-operation with industry

I believe that they are still the leaders...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast