Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Uploading to Newsgroups

WHiKWiRE's Avatar MooPhEuS

Cool

I want to start uploading to Usenet but my ISP gives me rubbish speeds (50 kb/s or less). Certain uploaders such as NOPOiNTS4U, WYZEWON and AN0N upload at insane speeds. That being said what would I need to upload faster?

2. Newsgroups   -   #2

3. Newsgroups   -   #3

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Ne'tu View Post
    I've heard of seedboxes and have a general idea to how they work. If someone wouldn't my clarifying how they work I assure you it would be very much appreciated.

So providing I like what hear if I were to purchase a seedbox is WINDOWS XP as my Operating System a problem?

And how much would I have to pay to upload a substantial amount with keeping in the price range of below 30 bucks a month?

Lastly how do I get access to the files to upload?

Hopefully I'm not too much of an inconvenience but it's something I've been wanting to do.

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    Ne'tu's Avatar Member BT Rep: +12BT Rep +12BT Rep +12
    Quote Originally Posted by whickwire View Post
    So providing I like what hear if I were to purchase a seedbox is WINDOWS XP as my Operating System a problem?
    Yes, it's possible.

And how much would I have to pay to upload a substantial amount with keeping in the price range of below 30 bucks a month?
    That's the main problem: it's much more expensive than that. A decent seedbox with 2 TB bandwith/month costs about 70 dollars.

They get the files from torrent trackers or FTP sites, it's very easy this way. The seedbox could be accessed from Remote Desktop Connection in Windows.

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    What about Leeware, I noticed a link in Reality's signature. It's 20 bucks a month. Is that something to look into?

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    Ne'tu's Avatar Member BT Rep: +12BT Rep +12BT Rep +12
    That one is using only Linux as an OS.

I don't have any idea about Linux and newsgroups and the performance on Leeware won't be great at all.

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by whickwire View Post
    The way most 'groups' do it is via physical access to the site, with portable HD-drives and such. The other way is by the same thing as P2P where a bunch of folks with slow connections upload to the server, that when the files are complete, are 'dumped' or uploaded into usenet a those 'insane' speeds, as the server plant has very highspeed connections.

You can, as has been pointed out, get the files off P2P systems and 'cross-pollinate' to usenet on that remote machine, but you really don't have that much control over what's available, and in my experience, P2P is pretty horrible overall, whether talking about music or movies (choice or quality, or both!), but that's perhaps just an 'opinion'. Really, if you have a spare machine around (doesn't have to be much) count up the bits that you could stream outbound over 24hours, times that by x days, or 30 days per month, going that 24/hours a day. The amount really adds up!

Of course, folks on cablemodem systems will get squeezed by all that uploading (look closely at your user agreements!), but not DSL folks. And all systems and agreements are different.

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Ne'tu View Post
    A question -
    for the dedicated servers, is the network bandwidth non-shared?

For eg, if it says 10Mbps port FlatFee, it means they guarantee all the 10Mbps to myself?

9. Newsgroups   -   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by shearerc View Post
    A question -
    for the dedicated servers, is the network bandwidth non-shared?

For eg, if it says 10Mbps port FlatFee, it means they guarantee all the 10Mbps to myself?
    No; the 'internet' as a whole is like a party-line telephone connection. Even if you have a multi-gigabit connection, the slowest (or most constricted) part of the link you're trying to establish (from source to destination) is going to determine the total throughput of the connection.

Example: You have a 20Mb connection, and are trying to send (or receive) a file from another machine with a 20Mb line as well. But the path the connection takes is through a piece of a link that runs at only 1Mb. Your throughput: 1Mb. Now IF the routers are intelligent enough to route your traffic around the 'constricted' part, it may show a 'pump' action going faster, then slower, then faster.

If your ISP constricts data flow in certain directions, it may be another problem, or there may be a problem with a certain carrier going in a particular direction (that another carrier uses a different routing).

In the end, 'nobody' can 'guarantee' a set rate, only a certain AVERAGE level of performance 'over time'. If you look closely at the fine print in any agreement, you'll see that any performance levels are AVERAGE, not a specific hard point or level.

10. Newsgroups   -   #10
    Once you have a seedbox what would you use to post? Last time I checked there wasn't any decent programs on linux for posting binaries.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast