Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Texas- The Gift...

clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    ...that just keeps giving.
    Quote Originally Posted by Huffington Post
    Texas state Rep. Leo Berman (R), a lawmaker best known for his anti-Obama rhetoric and legislative proposal, has turned his eyes on a new risk -- the creeping threat of "religious or cultural law," and perhaps most importantly, Sharia.

Berman's legislation would mandate that "A court of this state may not enforce, consider, or apply any religious or cultural law." Though it includes no direct mention of "Sharia," a subsequent interview would suggest that Berman, like other Republicans such as Nevada GOP Senate candidate Sharron Angle, maintains some unwarranted fear that Islamic law is cropping up in America.
    I assume that Berman hasn't considered that this would seemingly include Christian law either, so all opposition to gay marriage and abortion would be illegal as well.
    As Texas prepares to strangle on one of the largest budget deficits in the nation, it's good to see you've armed yourselves with such canny legislators.
    Well done.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    惡魔的提倡者
    Doesn't the constitution already do that?
    When I was a kid I was told "We do these things not because they're easy, but because they're hard"

Now all I hear is " I won't do anything unless there's something in it for me"

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    A mere technicality.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    Quote Originally Posted by devilsadvocate View Post
    Doesn't the constitution already do that?
    One would hope the Supreme Court would think so. But that would be looking at it as a strict constructionist.
    Who can take your money and give it to someone else? The Government Can! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LO2eh...layer_embedded

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post
    ...that just keeps giving.
    Quote Originally Posted by Huffington Post
    Texas state Rep. Leo Berman (R), a lawmaker best known for his anti-Obama rhetoric and legislative proposal, has turned his eyes on a new risk -- the creeping threat of "religious or cultural law," and perhaps most importantly, Sharia.

Berman's legislation would mandate that "A court of this state may not enforce, consider, or apply any religious or cultural law." Though it includes no direct mention of "Sharia," a subsequent interview would suggest that Berman, like other Republicans such as Nevada GOP Senate candidate Sharron Angle, maintains some unwarranted fear that Islamic law is cropping up in America.
    I assume that Berman hasn't considered that this would seemingly include Christian law either, so all opposition to gay marriage and abortion would be illegal as well.
    As Texas prepares to strangle on one of the largest budget deficits in the nation, it's good to see you've armed yourselves with such canny legislators.
    Well done.
    Oh, I wonder why they have such a large budget deficit? Hmmm?
    Who can take your money and give it to someone else? The Government Can! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LO2eh...layer_embedded

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    Because it's been the test bed for conservative "no taxes" experiments.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    惡魔的提倡者
    Why didn't anyone tell me? I seem to pay the national debt in property tax alone.
    When I was a kid I was told "We do these things not because they're easy, but because they're hard"

Now all I hear is " I won't do anything unless there's something in it for me"

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    Ah come on dude, that's not the real reason. Keep searching.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by devilsadvocate View Post
    Why didn't anyone tell me? I seem to pay the national debt in property tax alone.
    My parents pay a fortune in property taxes on the house in Malibu, but not too much on the house in Eagar. It really does boil down to location, location, location.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    Yes, it does.
    I would imagine that the surfing in Eagar sucks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast