Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new mmo

I've never played MMOs (except from small web-based games) and need your advice.

The community aspect is very important for me. I like co-operation and interactivity with other players, PvP is not a priority.

Any ideas? Any games that you think would suit me?

2. Games   -   #2
    Wolfmight's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    World of Warcraft?

3. Games   -   #3
    slim150's Avatar Poster
    My advice will now an always will be don't play WoW, or any MMORPG for that matter. Do you like playing video games? Well you won't have time to play them anymore because anytime you will have free time you will be playing your MMO. Its quite addicting and it gets hardcore.

The worst part is, after playing wow for 90days of logged in time, becoming a great warrior main tank in a end-game content raiding guild, just as we beat some of the hardest content and get the best items/armor in the game...

They add more and make your stuff worthless! IT NEVER ENDS. The boss strategy and take down is fun, but spending hours each night made it seemed like a job and that I had to be online.
    "Their most trivial action may mean volumes, or their most extraordinary conduct may depend upon a hairpin or a pair of curling-tongs" - Holmes

4. Games   -   #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfmight View Post
    World of Warcraft?
    I've seen too many people complaining about WoW's community. OK, they're old, fond of board games and traditional RP, maybe that's why they turned to other games.

My advice will now an always will be don't play WoW, or any MMORPG for that matter. Do you like playing video games? Well you won't have time to play them anymore because anytime you will have free time you will be playing your MMO. Its quite addicting and it gets hardcore.

The worst part is, after playing wow for 90days of logged in time, becoming a great warrior main tank in a end-game content raiding guild, just as we beat some of the hardest content and get the best items/armor in the game...

They add more and make your stuff worthless! IT NEVER ENDS. The boss strategy and take down is fun, but spending hours each night made it seemed like a job and that I had to be online.
    It's true, if you're interested in power levelling, always looking for new equipment, etc... I'm not, I used to play Diablo 2 in the past and made that mistake.

I've downloaded DOFUS a few days ago and am happy with it. You need to play a lot to level up but the game looks so different from others I felt I had to give it a try. The community is young - I wonder how it will evolve.

5. Games   -   #5
    mr. nails's Avatar m@D @n!m3 BT Rep: +1
    my first mmo was maplestory if u wanna call it one and it was good i thought. VERY repetitive though and not much of equipment. anyway, i moved on to guild wars and the grafx are more mature than that of WoW, but the gameplay seems a lot more slow than WoW and in towns u WILL lag in guild wars. price u pay for FREE! now, i play WoW. i can not get enough of this evil game. like said be4 u spend every sec trying to lvl up or upgrade ur character in some way. i don't play any other game besides WoW and i hardly watch movies anymore either. no time. and if i do have time i find myself using it to spend time with my character. it's bad and i know this, but it's fun too!

the WoW community is very friendly and i have never had a problem and u will usually find ppl to help u out. if ur going into a dungeon chances are more want to go too. if ur just starting out there are ALWAYS newcomers for ppl have more that one character. hell, lol, imma 'bout to start a new character. i'll c u online. enjoy. gl & hf.
    Last edited by mr. nails; 05-12-2007 at 10:20 PM. Reason: spelling
    Alamo Drafthouse!

Last Game Completed: Aliens: Colonial Marines (PC) 10-13-13
    Now Playing: Paper Mario 64
    Total Games Completed: 503

6. Games   -   #6
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    I like Guild Wars, personally.

It's more instansed than a lot of other stuff, which means that you'll only be able to leave towns with a small number of people (if there aren't enough people to come with you there are npc-options as well), and you won't run into other people on the map apart from your team (unless it's one of only a couple co-op-missions), when you do PvE.

What's good about it (though others bitch about the same things) is that there's a low level cap, and set max-levels for weapons. In GW you can have decent stuff pretty quick, I can make a new char and have him all geared up with good stuff within a few days, depending on the campaign. (If I want the same char to have really cool-looking stuff with the same stats it'll take me longer tho').

What makes people stay in the game is the rarer loot and more expensive armours, the storyline you play through (I like all the campaigns) and the other trinkets like minipets and whatnot you can collect.

What makes it really brilliant is the way you pay for it: You buy the game, and then there's no monthly fee, you can buy additional slots, campaigns and other extras, but you don't have to.

You can pick one or more of three campaigns to begin with, each one is stand-alone, but can be linked to the others. (I'd go with either prophecies or possibly Nightfall, Factions has the steepest learning-curve).

Since you don't pay a monthly fee (I'm talking official servers here, there are of course pirate-servers for WoW and whatnot that don't cost a thing either) there isn't a problem in just playing once a month unlike with games where you pay a monthly fee (like regular WoW), that, coupled with the fact that you can hit the max-level fairly easily, and have good gear fast, makes the game ideal for people who don't have time to grind.

Recently a hard-mode was added, which makes the game last a bit longer, and later this year an expansion is coming. After that there will be no campaigns or expansions added, only smaller updates. But you'll be able to unlock some stuff for usage in GW2 (which will be out in a couple of years), in the final expansion. (As it sounds now the servers are staying up indefinitely, even after the sequel is released, btw.)

---

Another game that's more suited for older hardware is Ragnarok Online, a game with an interesting look, with 2D-sprites in a 3D-environment. That game entails a hella lot of grinding, and doesn't have much of a story at all, but it can be great fun, especially during WoE - huge combats between guilds battling over castles. And assuming the GMs and other people running them aren't corrupted, private servers are usually best, as the official servers make for painfully slow progress.

I used to play a High Wizard myself, if I was patient and sneaky enough I could keep entire guilds busy or frozen with that char.

---

And last, you might want to check out Hellgate: London. It will be released later this summer, I think. It's an interesting game with influences from games like Diablo 2. It sports both an offline single player mode, and an online mode, where you can elect to play for free, or pay and get access to more content.

I'm a tad unhappy with some recent choices the devs have made, but you should have a look and make up your mind yourself about it.

EDit:
    ---

You might want to check out City of Heroes/City of Villains as well.

It's interesting in that you play a superhero (or villain, in CoV) instead of the standard fantasy-types. It comes with a monthly fee, has large open city-areas where you can run into random players, and instansed missions where you play together with teams.

Leaping tall buildings is a lot of fun.

And the character generator is awesome, I can play with that for hours.
    Last edited by Snee; 05-12-2007 at 03:22 AM. Reason: Grammar, readability, typos, CoH/CoV.

7. Games   -   #7
    Finally I tested wow, dofus and Ragnarok online. As I really like manga, I will stay on Dofus.

In addition, wow is too slow on my computer

AndDofus is quite funny - to be more precise, it's my sense of humour....

8. Games   -   #8
    Colt Seevers's Avatar P()()p!3 $CR/-\P3R$ BT Rep: +3

9. Games   -   #9

Icon3

Quote Originally Posted by Colt Seevers View Post
    thanks you

10. Games   -   #10
    LethaL ImpuLse's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    I'll second Guild Wars. Snee posted good enough reasons already, but I can say myself that it's a great game, and I love the no-monthly fee deal. And I've easily logged 1000+ into that damn game.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast