Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Idea for Usenet -> HTTP Service

Just trying to gauge general interest here. What do you think about a service which would allow you to download nzbs though your web browser via http/https?

You would simply provide NZB in one of three ways:

1) File upload
    2) URL
    3) Search NZBs already requested by other (anonymous) users

The NZB would be downloaded at gigabit speed and then unpacked for you to download.

Regarding the economics, I was thinking of having two plans, limited by disk space rather than bandwidth.

$5/month - 500mb Disk space
    $10/month - 2GB Disk space

The disk allowances are fairly conservative because repairing and extracting large files is extremely expensive.

So what do you think? This could be really handy for many people, particularly non techies, those with throttling on NTTP/SSL and for people who can't install usenet client software.

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    Waddafocky's Avatar dvd BT Rep: +1
    Are you talking about the content listed in the NZB? Because NZB's themselves don't usually exceed 5 MB.

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    Quote Originally Posted by topgun100 View Post
    I don't think you can do too much with so little disk space.
    Last edited by anon; 01-29-2011 at 09:35 PM. Reason: Same thing, different words
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    Quote Originally Posted by anon-sbi View Post
    I don't think you can do too much with so little disk space.
    Not only that, but for $10 a month I sign up for Astraweb - in two weeks, I've downloaded about 200 gigs of material. So where's the advantage in this? Saving CPU cycles?

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    It seems like a good idea but the 2gb limit is a drawback.
    What about some sort of queue for the extraction, and a time limit (for example 1 day) to grab your file starting from when the extraction completes?

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    Cabalo's Avatar FileSharingTalker BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    Something like a delayed seedbox, but for usenet. Could be interesting, though the size limits would have to be at least 15gb per user on the same server.

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    But the difference between a seedbox for torrenting and one for usenet is that you get seedboxes to get content ASAP to have a chance at seeding back at high speeds, creating either a buffer or increasing ratio. This beats a home connection where you might be downloading only at 200 kbps and uploading at 20, so by the time you're done, everyone else is done and you just downloaded 6 GB while uploading 600 MB.

On the other hand, with Usenet you are only limited by the time your computer stays on, because the beginning and end point of Usenet is to get content, and in that aspect you only have to download. With a "usenet seedbox" you would be downloading twice, once to the seedbox then once again to your home. I'm asking, why this two-step process? Why not download straight home?
    Last edited by Waddafocky; 01-30-2011 at 12:31 AM.

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    This would be a service for 'normal' users who want divx rips - which very rarely exceed 1.4GB. I'm not aiming this at heavy downloaders who want +4.7GB archives as the disk I/O is too great when repairing.

One possibility would be to have temporary booster like 10gb space for 48 hours for $1 so you can get that one big file if you really need to.

Tesco, there would not be a 1 day limit. The storage space is yours and your files will persist until your subscription runs out or you overwrite them with a new NZB.

9. Newsgroups   -   #9
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarkial View Post
    But the difference between a seedbox for torrenting and one for usenet is that you get seedboxes to get content ASAP to have a chance at seeding back at high speeds, creating either a buffer or increasing ratio. This beats a home connection where you might be downloading only at 200 kbps and uploading at 20, so by the time you're done, everyone else is done and you just downloaded 6 GB while uploading 600 MB.

On the other hand, with Usenet you are only limited by the time your computer stays on, because the beginning and end point of Usenet is to get content, and in that aspect you only have to download. With a "usenet seedbox" you would be downloading twice, once to the seedbox then once again to your home. I'm asking, why this two-step process? Why not download straight home?

This could be really handy for many people, particularly non techies, those with throttling on NTTP/SSL and for people who can't install usenet client software.
    I imagined a use for people wanting to download from work or school where they cannot install any programs, but have unrestricted access to the internet.

Tesco, there would not be a 1 day limit. The storage space is yours and your files will persist until your subscription runs out or you overwrite them with a new NZB.
    So each user would get a set amount of space to fill, and an interface to delete files they no longer need so that they can download more?
    Last edited by tesco; 01-30-2011 at 01:45 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

10. Newsgroups   -   #10
    Quote Originally Posted by tesco View Post
    I imagined a use for people wanting to download from work or school where they cannot install any programs, but have unrestricted access to the internet.
    This still makes no sense. Why not use a portable usenet reader? Unzbin and Binreader come to mind.

Addendum: Would port issues be a problem? I know they are for torrents, but if just downloading, it shouldn't matter, right? You could tunnel your login then you'd be home free...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast