Thread: Help with an Apache..

tuning's Avatar House M.D. BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    Hi all .

I installed an apache on my old PC, and want to get everything to work...but i cant .

I want to use it for an
    small, local BitTorrent tracker. I think it will have SSL ( https ), because i downloaded an SSL enabled version.

Now....say me, how can i get everything to work ?

I dont know where i can input the url of the site....can i do this without an special server or ISP ?

How can i access my webpage then ? Where i got to put the files of the BitTorrent source to work perfect then ?

How can i make mails with the domain name of my site ? ( e.g. [email protected] )

How can i do the first registration, my one ( SysOp class of course ), when there is no SysOp registered ?

How can i disable the ordinary HTTP access to the site, and only leave the HTTPS one ?

How can i increase and decrease the user limit ?

How can i disable / enable invites ?

I have many questions, because i am new to the Apache world..

My Apache is version 2.2

I am running it on WinXP

Best wishes
    -tuning
    Follow the white rabbit

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    Quote Originally Posted by tuning View Post
    I dont know where i can input the url of the site....can i do this without an special server or ISP ?
    you will need to register for a domain name. just do a search for domain names on google and pick a provider.
    How can i access my webpage then ? Where i got to put the files of the BitTorrent source to work perfect then ?
    you need to whack them in the htdocs folder where ever you installed apache
    How can i make mails with the domain name of my site ? ( e.g. [email protected] )
    you will need to install a mail server on xp not apache. sorry i dont know what to use here.
    How can i do the first registration, my one ( SysOp class of course ), when there is no SysOp registered ?
    you lost me here sorry
    How can i disable the ordinary HTTP access to the site, and only leave the HTTPS one ?
    its complicated so read the apache-ssl faq
    How can i increase and decrease the user limit ?

How can i disable / enable invites ?
    chances are you gonna have to edit the code yourself. if its the old torrentbits tracker then i hope you know php,mysql,html and css.
    I have many questions, because i am new to the Apache world..

My Apache is version 2.2

I am running it on WinXP
    windows xp hey. i hope your users don't mind some downtime. dont get me wrong its a great os for the desktop but why are you running it as a server.

what upload speed do you have and what is the spec of your machine.

unless you have an isp that has 100mbit upload that does not mind you running servers and this machine isnt your own desktop or you dont mind your own machine running like shit i wouldn't bother.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    tuning's Avatar House M.D. BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    The speeds are OK

One friend of mine told me to use XAMPP, it has MySQL, Apache, Filezilla etc.

I used it, putted the source files of the tracker @ htdocs.

And when i try to connect localhost or my IP , it doesn't seems to open anything. Just an blank page.

What i have to do in this case ?
    Follow the white rabbit

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    is the apache service running ? go to start / run then type services.msc and look for the apache service and make sure its started.

you wont need a ftp client since the files are hosted locally but xampp may be easier for you since its meant to configure php and mysql which can be a pain in windows.

you might want to read the f.a.q which will show you how to install and configure mysql as well.

what torrent tracker are you using ?