Thread: Connecting to astraweb from different IPs?

I was wondering if my brother would be able to share my Astraweb account while he's at school. I got an error once in Alt.Binz that said Astraweb's server said I was connecting from multiple IPs, so it doesn't look like I'd be able to use 10 connections while my brother used 10 connections at the same time, but would he be able to use it while I'm not using it?

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    I reckon so.
    Life in the fast lane usenet freak

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    musicsavesus's Avatar Poster
    I'm not sure about Astraweb but I know at Giganews it says you can only connect from one computer at a time which seems to mean that you could connect from different computers just not at the same time. This may be the same for many usenet servers. I haven't tried it yet so I can't say for sure but I wondered this myself.

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    JustDOSE's Avatar look at my meatwad
    i wouldn't do it, its only 15bucks an acc. just buy him one
    Pimpn aint easy ®

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    Poster BT Rep: +1
    Only one IP can connect at once to an astraweb account. You can share if you both use it at different times but not simultaneously.

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by quadomatic View Post
    I was wondering if my brother would be able to share my Astraweb account while he's at school. I got an error once in Alt.Binz that said Astraweb's server said I was connecting from multiple IPs, so it doesn't look like I'd be able to use 10 connections while my brother used 10 connections at the same time, but would he be able to use it while I'm not using it?
    You can use it from different IP's, but not at the same time. Their website states this, but I think it also states that they can cancel your account if you DO connect with multiple IPs at the same time. I use my account both on my seedbox and at home, but not at the same time obviously.

In your scenario I wouldn't share the account because IMHO it takes too much coordination to ensure only 1 person uses the account at the same time.
    Last edited by leadman; 10-21-2008 at 05:51 AM.

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by leadman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by quadomatic View Post
    You can use it from different IP's, but not at the same time. Their website states this, but I think it also states that they can cancel your account if you DO connect with multiple IPs at the same time. I use my account both on my seedbox and at home, but not at the same time obviously.

In your scenario I wouldn't share the account because IMHO it takes too much coordination to ensure only 1 person uses the account at the same time.
    It doesn't even let you connect if you're connecting from multiple IPs. It'll tell you that you're logged in on another IP. I know this because once when I was disconnected and then reconnected almost instantly, I couldn't connect because I was on a different IP.

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    Why not use a server setup to use usenet and then download it from there?, i wouldn't believe you'd get great speeds at school anyway (besides being against the rules lol). Or get a pre-paid account, 25 for 110 gigs.

9. Newsgroups   -   #9
    Astaweb is running a deal right now. Just signed up for $11/month unlimited everything. Or you could get him the sort of prepaid package, which seems like a great deal for not so heavy usage.

10. Newsgroups   -   #10
    NZB Looter
    You can share multi ips. But it'll be a matter of time before they offer you some friendly advise