Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Does ratio cheating cause any damage to a tracker?

Jezebel's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Mugur View Post
    Maybe when he says friends, he means a lot of them. That's not the problem. The problem is that he is cheating and he doesn't realize he's doing something wrong. Moreover, in the country where he lives he has access to some very fast connections, so he doesn't need to cheat, even if he downloads 1 TB in a month. (that means an average speed of 3mbps, by the way)
    I said I cheated once, doesn't mean I'm still doing it.
    To be more precisely, I did it more than 2 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by 105802 View Post
    to download 1TB a week you'd have to RSS pretty much everything that hits the site.

i doubt you do that, and if you do i doubt you use more then 5gb of the stuff you download. i also doubt you have the HD space to keep up with that.
    I don't use rss, never done.
    I download things that sound interesting and stuff I've heard good words about.
    As I said, I download 1tb in a month, my leechingspree doesn't happen too often. Sct's birthday for example is a time when I leech a terabyte in a week.

Also you should read through the entire thread before you judge anything. I already stated that I use everything I download except for the stuff I download for family and friends.

And about my hdds. Did you know that hdds are very cheap nowadays? 3tb does it for me, I don't store everything I download on the hdds. I burn dvd-r and music to dvds and cds,
    meaning I archive movies in dvd-r. 1080p movies are only being watched once and then I delete them. You get the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by sez View Post
    how do you even fake uploading a terabyte?that's 1000GB ffs.How the hell does that go undetected?this tracker never ceases to amaze fo sho.

Back to your question though,as you have readily admitted ratiocheating is ethically wrong and that's that.Robin hood too stole to help the poor and though at face it was justifiable to him it was still against the law of the land hence wrong no matter what his beliefs were(same with people who blow themselves up as a shortcut to paradise).

That said,your question is kinda tricky and am tempted to dodge it.But am not going to,you may harm a few people speedwise(coz you are not really in the swarm) but if ethics and rules aint really your thing then nothing is off the table.You are free to justify anything you want.
    It won't harm the tracker like say trading does coz after all its internal.
    You are stealing but with the intention of returning back what you took,that's called absentia borrowing.
    If anything though,i think its embarrassing that someone can fake uploading that much without being detected,to me that equates to ignorance coz if someone was paying attention you ought to have been banned by now or you would have stopped after a few gigs.
    Actually, it's 1024gb. :
    Thanks for your thoughts.
    Last edited by Menteur; 06-14-2009 at 01:34 PM.

2. BitTorrent   -   #22
    Poster BT Rep: +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80

3. BitTorrent   -   #23
    The_Martinator's Avatar I is posting MACHINE BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    Haha, good one squirr3l!
    I'm back. The downside is that I'm also old now.

4. BitTorrent   -   #24
    cinephilia's Avatar I don't like you BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    Quote Originally Posted by MATEE100 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Martinator View Post
    Of course it hurts the tracker, duh.
    That's why cheaters got banned
    you learnt it to your cost
    whenever people agree with me, i always feel i must be wrong.

5. BitTorrent   -   #25
    Jezebel's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by squirr3l View Post
    For the one cheating, or for the one being cheated?

6. BitTorrent   -   #26
    Night0wl's Avatar GoaHead BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    Well since you needed to make a thread about it explaining your Robin Hood complex and looking for acceptance, I'm guessing for the one cheating.

7. BitTorrent   -   #27
    Jezebel's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Night0wl View Post
    Well since you needed to make a thread about it explaining your Robin Hood complex and looking for acceptance, I'm guessing for the one cheating.
    I never explained any Robin Hood complex.
    Someone else was talking something about Hood, not me.

8. BitTorrent   -   #28
    no_more_tears's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40
    No damage for sure. What can you damage with a small program that fakes ratio

9. BitTorrent   -   #29
    Poster BT Rep: +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80
    Quote Originally Posted by Menteur View Post
    For the one cheating, or for the one being cheated?
    you tell me

10. BitTorrent   -   #30
    sez's Avatar c0V3r3Ð iN Ba57ArÐ BT Rep: +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23
    Quote Originally Posted by Menteur View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Night0wl View Post
    I never explained any Robin Hood complex.
    Someone else was talking something about Hood, not me.
    complex
    adj.
    1. consisting of many different and connected parts.
    2. not easy to understand; complicated.
    3. Mathematics (of a number) containing both a real and an imaginary part.
    n.
    1. an interlinked system; a network. • a group of similar buildings or facilities on the same site.
    2. Psychoanalysis a related group of repressed or partly repressed emotionally significant ideas which lead to abnormal mental states or behaviour. • informal;a feeling of disproportionate anxiety about something.
    3. Chemistry an ion or molecule in which one or more groups are linked to a metal atom by coordinate bonds.
    v.
    Chemistry make (an atom or compound) form a complex with another.
    Derivatives:
    complexation n. (Chemistry).
    complexity n. (pl. complexities).
    complexly adv.
    Origin:
    C17 (as n.): from L. complexus, from complectere 'embrace, comprise', later assoc. with complexus 'plaited'; the adjective is partly via Fr. complexe.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast