Thread: Throttling of BT traffic and moving house

Urgent

Really dumb questions but is anyone with British Telecom in the UK experienced very slow download speeds at non-peak times? It's nearly 8pm for me and my download speed has been no more than 12kB/s using high level trackers so I closed uTorrent completely. When ever I add more torrents the speed rarely goes up so I know it's not the tracker or the individual torrent. I'm not the bill payer so I'm not too bothered but I'd like to finish my requests and seed until I go to university in October.

Which leads me to me second question. Will I be able to access the trackers I use whilst at university? I won't be able to visit my home every 30 days to prevent my account from being pruned and not every trackers offers to park your account either. Not too bothered if I can use BitTorrent whilst at university because I'll be busy with other things - just don't want to lose my accounts.

I'll ask this question about moving house in their own forums too, just wanted to know what people here experienced.

Any help will be greatfully appreciated!

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    anto's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +4
    does bt work off traffic?

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    VIZFX's Avatar Looking at You! BT Rep: +2
    A lot of sites either are moving to or already are using the passkey method instead of ip address. This way you can log in from any other machine without problems. Go to the forums of your trackers and search for passkey and it should explain how it works if they use it.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    Poster BT Rep: +13BT Rep +13BT Rep +13
    The AzureusWiki says yes to your question.

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
    The AzureusWiki says yes to your question.
    I checked that once and BT wasn't there and now they are. Ugh. My downloads have increased since posting the thread though. Looks like Be are the only providers who don't throttle traffic and was ideally hoping to find a British provider who doesn't, preferbly cable though. And yes Virgin Media throttle it. I haven't heard major complaints about them though regarding throttling.

Quote Originally Posted by torbits View Post
    A lot of sites either are moving to or already are using the passkey method instead of ip address. This way you can log in from any other machine without problems. Go to the forums of your trackers and search for passkey and it should explain how it works if they use it.
    I've since posted this on the trackers I use and read every FAQ and just asked for confirmation if I felt it wasn't clear. Unfortunately on one of the trackers some standard user decided to be patronising as he felt it was obvious and then took a swipe at my ratio. I don't use the tracker much and allow my files to be seeded for as long as possible (as I have very large HDDs) but if nobody is downloading from me it's not my fault etc. Called him a ratio Nazi. Think he got in a fit. I can see why that's banned in certain trackers.
    Last edited by the; 02-10-2008 at 11:51 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    Zaxx's Avatar Ol' Skool P2P BT Rep: +3
    Heh...you hear all the US isps bitching about high traffic degrading the net experience for other on your node. Note on the Az page...NOT ONE isp in the US throttles during peak time...the problem must not be too damn bad!!
    "It's not what ya got, it's what you give."
    Please do not PM me for invites. Thx.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    kadake's Avatar Hayden's Watching u
    Britsh Telecom isnt that great at the best of times (even when you havent got a P2P program running).

With the BT Home HUB , if you connect to the hub 192.168.1.254 , and disconnect and reconnect , then go do a speed test it can 80% fix speed issues and also resets traffic shapping bot , but once you start a P2P program again , the bot will catch you again if you dont setup your torrent client properly.

if you reset your hub and run p2p and still get shapping problem , ad another post to this thread and i'll try and help some more