Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011

Thread: Intelligent design

GepperRankins's Avatar we want your oil!
    maybe i mean i know there are variations. maybe i mean i know some believe some believe in evolution and some believe in creation, some believe in both.

going to church and doing 4 hours of RE a week, i learnt things. i know there are many different beliefs, you must be stupid or just not believe i went to school to think that

it wasn't a rediculous claim to make

2. The Drawing Room   -   #102
    JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by GepperRankins
    maybe i mean i know there are variations. maybe i mean i know some believe some believe in evolution and some believe in creation, some believe in both.

going to church and doing 4 hours of RE a week, i learnt things. i know there are many different beliefs, you must be stupid or just not believe i went to school to think that

it wasn't a rediculous claim to make
    Maybe this, maybe that, but what you said was

" i was brought up a catholic, i know all about what christians believe."

Which is what people will respond to. Not what you may have meant, but did not type.

You were also brought up as being English, probably even studied it's history, culture and language. I would suggest you also do not know what all English people believe.

It really was a ridiculous claim to make.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #103
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by JPaul
    No, but then I didn't say that. This is a recurring theme with you, The.

Responding to things which people didn't actually say. Or putting forward arguments against beliefs which people aren't actually expressing.

You are responding to your own prejudices, as opposed to discussing the points other people are making. Don't worry about it tho', it is the rule rather than the exception.

Let me give you an example, not all Christians believe the same things. There is no need for them to, other than some very specific parts. All atheists however believe exactly the same thing, which is that God does not exist. It is therefore, for this particular thing, much easier for me to see where you are coming from than it is for you to see where I am coming from.

You therefore make assumptions, e.g. "Christians do not believe the Big Bang happened" (as a random example, which you may or may not believe) which is no more than a sweeping and largely incorrect generalization. Many Christians believe just that and in the theory of evolution and in the internal combustion engine and that electricity is not some form of witchery.

Like I said, don't worry about it, bias is often based on incorrect assumptions, rather than actual observations.
    Wow...what a post.
    As some say, spot on.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

4. The Drawing Room   -   #104
    whypikonme's Avatar Unemployable
    l once read a debate on what exactly was a Christian. The debate centred around a set number of concepts that it was proposed one would have to believe if one were to call oneself a Christian.

l know they included the divinity of Jesus, the resurrection, and others. At one stage it was proposed that the belief extended to the teachings of the Old Testament because Jesus had accepted it as fact. The point the person was making was you cannot call yourself a Christian unless you believe word for word the teachings of the bible, including the literal seven day creation, etc..
    Sig Removed...too clever

5. The Drawing Room   -   #105
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    You can call yourself whatever you want to, whatever you believe in.. 'tis a free country

How others perceive you is somewhat different.

I would call anyone that believes Christ was the "Messiah", 'a christian', irrespective of what other beliefs he/she/it has..

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

6. The Drawing Room   -   #106
    whypikonme's Avatar Unemployable
    What if someone were to believe that Jesus was a mortal man, who didn't die on the cross, and didn't come back from the dead, and wasn't the result of a virgin birth? l know you'll say he can still call himself a Christian, but would he BE one?
    Sig Removed...too clever

7. The Drawing Room   -   #107
    JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    Jeasus was a mortal man.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #108
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    I tend to agree with JP on this subject (notwithstanding my ironic observation earlier).

ID states nothing more than that there may have been some thought behind the mechanics of the physical universe. The big bang, evolution etc., could, therefore, be consequences of that involvement at the quantum physics level (or perhaps at some level even below this).

ID has nothing to say about revealed religion, a subject that rightly belongs in the hands of those who profess each specific religion.

What more one can say about ID in a class-room setting, though, is questionable. It is extremely unlikely that ordinary schooling is going to break into quantum physics or super string theory let alone start analysing the maths inherent in such theories to see if the pattern is random or whether it displays something else.

It would be wholly dishonest to say ID proves (my) God exists, ergo lets ditch the rest of the science class and study Genesis 1 instead. Indeed if there are those that harbour such aspirations then they should be slapped back in their box forthwith (if not fifthwith).
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011