Thread: Robin Cook

Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    RIP Robin

The House will be the poorer for the lack of its resident Gnome.

Robin's resignation speech was one of the highlights of the last term and a bench mark in dignity and how to administer a severe kicking.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    May he Rest In Peace.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    RIP

One of the few people that were in the Government brave enough to practice what he preaches.. I may not have agreed with everything he did, but i always respect someone like that.

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    Unfortunately, John McCririck has just spoiled his funeral service:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4145308.stm

In his tribute, Mr McCririck described Mr Cook's passion for horse racing and his abilities as a tipster.

But he went on to make fierce criticisms of Mr Blair.

"What an impressive attendance we've all got. All of us have changed our plans to show our respect and affection for Robin and for Gaynor and the boys and the family," he said.

"But there is just one exception to that - and that's the nation's leader, the prime minister.

"Now Margaret Thatcher, of course, she attended Ted Heath's service.

"I believe the prime minister's snub to Robin's family, to millions of New Labour voters, demonstrates a petty vindictiveness and a moral failure, opting to continue snorkelling instead of doing his duty. What a contrast with Lady Thatcher."

The comments were broadcast on a loudspeaker outside the cathedral, where they prompted applause from onlookers on Edinburgh's Royal Mile.

'Inappropriate'

Other ministers have said Mr Cook remained on good terms with the prime minister despite his resignation over the Iraq war.

Outside the cathedral, Mr Hain said a "wave of resentment swept through the cathedral" after Mr McCririck's comments.

The remarks were "totally uncalled for" and were "out of tune" with the mood of the ceremony, Mr Hain said, adding: "I do think most of the mourners share that view."

Labour peer Lord Foulkes said: "I just think it was a pity it was spoiled by John McCririck.

"What he said was inappropriate for a funeral service.

"He was also wrong in what he said. Tony Blair will lead tributes to Robin Cook in London which will be an even bigger occasion than this."
    Although I too think Blaire should have been there, and was surprised he didn't change his plans, to attack him for it in what was supposed to be a tribute to Robin Cook is absurd!

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    I agree it was an inappropriate occasion for the attack, even if true.

He should have left it for afterwards..

One thing struck me though...

The comments were broadcast on a loudspeaker outside the cathedral, where they prompted applause from onlookers on Edinburgh's Royal Mile.
    The remarks were "totally uncalled for" and were "out of tune" with the mood of the ceremony, Mr Hain said, adding: "I do think most of the mourners share that view."

I think most of the mourners shared the view, however only those that werent close to the family (ie Those Outside), would have been able to applaud.

The friends and family would have been grieving and would have been naturaly horrified at the hijack of the service, even if they shared the sentiment.

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    I think McCririck is a brick short of a full hod but I do think Blair was ill-advised in not attending.

Peter Hain is someone whom I cannot warm to at all and rarely says anything that sounds believeable ... even if he were to read from the telephone directory.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum