Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Famous Statue Topple

Don't have time to respond now, but you might be interested in this Australian ABC piece on Fox and Al-Jazeera war coverage.

Fox v. Al Jazeera

NE1, just a matter of time before the specious link between Al Qaida and Iraq was made. what are you thinking?

2. The Drawing Room   -   #12
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    Originally posted by myfiles3000@13 April 2003 - 18:28
    Don't have time to respond now, but you might be interested in this Australian ABC piece on Fox and Al-Jazeera war coverage.

Fox v. Al Jazeera

NE1, just a matter of time before the specious link between Al Qaida and Iraq was made. what are you thinking?
    Dircet Links of that nature are against the board rules i think....

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

3. The Drawing Room   -   #13
    Originally posted by Rat Faced@13 April 2003 - 12:09
    Erm.....Al-Queada were the US allies in this event, so i doubt it.

Or at least I assume so, as all their training grounds are in the area controlled by, and the people that hid them from Saddam Hussain were, the Kurdish Militia.

The Kurdish Militia that were fighting with the USA in Northern Iraq....

Like I said before elsewhere:

Anyone remember that great US sitcom "SOAP"?
    That would be interesting, considering that one of the many reasons we wanted to take down Saddam was due to his possible funding of Alqaeda operations.

Alqaeda, as it is known today, was never on the US side.

They have their own agenda which is mainly about terrorism for profit.

That we once had ties with them is not to say they were the same organization that they have become over time.

And...That we once had ties with them is not an excuse for siding with them today.

Their motives have changed. All their noble pursuits to protect the Muslim community have become destorted
    by their need to maintain power.

Without checks and balances, they have become the proverbial Beast.

Thats what happens when the people have no control over their king. In the case of Al Qaeda, Ben Ladin.
    In the case of Iraq, Saddam.

If it ever was time to change the rules in the Middle East, its time now.

Peace

4. The Drawing Room   -   #14
    NE1, i don't see your point. First of all, saddam was a state dictator, imposing rule top-down within a sovereign state. OBL is the leader of a grass-roots terrorist organization of voluntary membership. I don't see any substantial similarity between the two forms of leadership or organization. However, I agree with you that checks and balances are needed, and that's why Shrub's rejection of UN protocol is so deplored by the majority of world opinion. as for not being being able to control your king, well, consider the following quote:

"The irony of a man who lost an election and won a court case "installing" democracy in the Arab world is not lost on many. Not least because if we had anything like representative democracies in the west he would be in no position to do so."

Gary Younge
    Monday March 10, 2003
    The Guardian
    Their motives have changed. All their noble pursuits to protect the Muslim community have become destorted
    by their need to maintain power.

Without checks and balances, they have become the proverbial Beast.

Thats what happens when the people have no control over their king. In the case of Al Qaeda, Ben Ladin.
    In the case of Iraq, Saddam.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #15
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Originally posted by myfiles3000@12 April 2003 - 17:18
    Do you think that its *possible* that people from the pentagon, state department, DoD, various armed forces, etc, were actively involved in the preparation of the event? Do you doubt that in a world of live-via-satellite and internet reporting, and where public opinion both domestically and abroad has such enormous consequences, that the occupying force wouldn't consider putting on a little show -- which just happened to be across the street from a hotel that housed hundreds of foreign journalists -- in order to lend some credibility to OEF?

I get the feeling that you perhaps haven't studied history or political science, or state use of mass media during armed conflict.

If i may, I offer the following bit of wisdom: there's a fine line between patriotic and naive.
    Yes, it was SO thoughtful of Saddam to place the statue thusly. He always claimed to have great foresight.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

6. The Drawing Room   -   #16
    j2k4, i realize English might not be your first language as this is an international community, but please try to follow the discussion more carefully. this thread concerns possible US activities to win the battle for public opinion, so I'm not sure how you misconstrued the discussion as suggesting that Saddam Hussein was complicit in the Fardus Square incident. But to clarify: no, I'm not suggesting that the enemy of the US is lending a hand in the US propaganda campaign. I'm happy to clarify offline if you like.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #17
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Originally posted by myfiles3000@13 April 2003 - 20:01
    j2k4, i realize English might not be your first language as this is an international community, but please try to follow the discussion more carefully. this thread concerns possible US activities to win the battle for public opinion, so I'm not sure how you misconstrued the discussion as suggesting that Saddam Hussein was complicit in the Fardus Square incident. But to clarify: no, I'm not suggesting that the enemy of the US is lending a hand in the US propaganda campaign. I'm happy to clarify offline if you like.
    I considered resisting this urge, but to my own delight, I have failed. How could YOU fail to recognize excellent American satire, as practiced by a decorated practitioner of English (that would be me)?
    I will elaborate:
    Many in this admittedly International forum attribute none but the worst intentions to the U.S. (again, that would be me), including the utilization of spin and propaganda at every opportunity, while also portraying us as crude and lacking in subtlety: incapable of nuance.
    Since you are absolutely correct in this conclusion, I, as a proud defender of all things American (including our lack of subtlety), was merely assaying an opening wherein a bit of irony might be utilized to further our perception as louts.
    I did this by pointing out (watch for it now) how Saddam, in his all-encompassing wisdom and prescience saw his way clear to erect said statue in such convenient proximity to short-term lodging that, in the case of war, would surely be peopled by a much larger than usual group of international journalists!

Spiro Agnew, a spectacularly corrupt American of years past, had, in any case, a degree of eloquence -he used a phrase once I feel I must reproduce here, as it describes you to a tee: You, sir, are a "nattering nabob of negativism".
    Yes, Yes-PERFECT!!!
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

8. The Drawing Room   -   #18
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Originally posted by myfiles3000@14 April 2003 - 02:01
    j2k4, i realize English might not be your first language as this is an international community
    I think Latin is actually his first language, but I would urge caution in any case...
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

9. The Drawing Room   -   #19
    Originally posted by j2k4+13 April 2003 - 20:40--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (j2k4 @ 13 April 2003 - 20:40)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--myfiles3000@13 April 2003 - 20:01
    j2k4, i realize English might not be your first language as this is an international community, but please try to follow the discussion more carefully. this thread concerns possible US activities to win the battle for public opinion, so I&#39;m not sure how you misconstrued the discussion as suggesting that Saddam Hussein was complicit in the Fardus Square incident. But to clarify: no, I&#39;m not suggesting that the enemy of the US is lending a hand in the US propaganda campaign. I&#39;m happy to clarify offline if you like.
    I considered resisting this urge, but to my own delight, I have failed. How could YOU fail to recognize excellent American satire, as practiced by a decorated practitioner of English (that would be me)?
    I will elaborate:
    Many in this admittedly International forum attribute none but the worst intentions to the U.S. (again, that would be me), including the utilization of spin and propaganda at every opportunity, while also portraying us as crude and lacking in subtlety: incapable of nuance.
    Since you are absolutely correct in this conclusion, I, as a proud defender of all things American (including our lack of subtlety), was merely assaying an opening wherein a bit of irony might be utilized to further our perception as louts.
    I did this by pointing out (watch for it now) how Saddam, in his all-encompassing wisdom and prescience saw his way clear to erect said statue in such convenient proximity to short-term lodging that, in the case of war, would surely be peopled by a much larger than usual group of international journalists&#33;

Spiro Agnew, a spectacularly corrupt American of years past, had, in any case, a degree of eloquence -he used a phrase once I feel I must reproduce here, as it describes you to a tee: You, sir, are a "nattering nabob of negativism".
    Yes, Yes-PERFECT&#33;&#33;&#33; [/b][/quote]
    J2k4,

You&#39;re RIGHT&#33;&#33;&#33;

Why didn&#39;t I see that before??

Myfiles...I know you&#39;re a bit slow, so I&#39;ll translate J2k4&#39;s amazing insight into my best attempt atMiddle Eastern English for your benefit.

Saddam put statue in square next to hotel where news peoples stay, so when regime fall down, go boom, US must to bringing that statue down as all other statues were, and then you can make big deal over how american propaganda machine is making big deal over small thing.

Is that true?

Saddam&#39;s thing is small?

No wonder he had doubles.

Hmmm...Lets see now...4 doubles...How many wives again?

Peace

10. The Drawing Room   -   #20
    Has anyone noticed that myfiles3000 seems to have a problem quoting text?

Must be me.

Peace

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast