Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: The Famous Statue Topple

j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Originally posted by sara5564@16 April 2003 - 13:20
    ha ha....well, my warning of intellectual constipation must have come a little late for him then!

Shame I only have another 10 mins or so until I go home, then wont be back online until later tonight...

ho hum...will just have to wait until then to see his next juicy response!
    1) You are correct-I believe our two views reflect a symmetry and synergy as regards our linguistic preferences.

2) Although I have been recruited for radio work (never an aspiration-pay generally sucks, as I'm sure you're aware), and have been told I possess a "voice" (never quite believed that; don't have the discipline to continually harness my elision and slurring tendencies-just lazy), I do aspire to write well, I have done a few things I'm proud of, having to do with a prior position I held.

3) We (well, maybe ten of us, anyway) have an appreciation for composition here-You, Clocker, Hobbes and old what's-his-name...myfiles3000(&#33 all leap to mind-some others, let's see, DiogenesUK, OMC, some others whose names regrettably escape me.

4) I believe we all do/have done our share of critical reading, too. There is a quality of logic and analysis to your posts I enjoy.

5) It's an outlet for me-not many opportunities on a day-to-day basis for these types of exchange. Kinda like a health spa for the mental faculties.

6) I'm going a little long, here, so.......back to the bathroom
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

2. The Drawing Room   -   #62
    Ok, let me see if I've got this straight...

This entire thread is the result of Myfiles, feeling that a picture was worth a thousand words, but failing to realize that they were all in the form of questions?

Amazing.

I need to take a mental shower now to rid myself of the intellectual mud that has been slung around in here.

Please don't missunderstand...I enjoy a good wallow as much as the next guy, but I think it got just a bit deep in here.

At this point, I believe it is safe to say this whole topic is full of it.

Peace

3. The Drawing Room   -   #63
    And for the record, being able to use big words does not mean one should.

That is to say, inteligence does not presuppose wisdom.

I can't believe it but I'm in agreement with myfiles on this point.

The aspiration of a true writer is not the ability to fill large volumes with complicated terms and phrases, (unless he's a lawyer).
    A true writer seeks to communicate universal wisdoms in terms even a novice reader can understand.

Why do you think most great works are written on a 5th grade level?

Even Shakespeare's works, in their time, were written to convey some of the deepest thoughts of that great mind, in terms no man or woman could fail to understand.

Poe, Azimov, Bradbury, Feist, King, Koontz, Aristotle, Socrates, Confucius, Mohamad, Moses, Ghandi, Jesus of Nazareth, Martin Luther King, John F. Kenedy, etc.

They did not waste their energy writing or speaking to the intellectual community.

If they had, people would have yawned, (even the intellectuals), and picked up the morning news of their time.

They targeted their message to the common man.

The fact is, intelectual jargon is even boring to intelectuals.

Thats why its used in legal doccuments and disclaimers.

Thats why people say, "nobody ever reads that stuff".

Peace

4. The Drawing Room   -   #64
    Originally posted by ne1GotZardoz@18 April 2003 - 05:17
    more to the point, big words don't imply intelligence -- surely there's a stronger correlation between wisdom and intelligence than intelligence and big words, wouldn't you say?
    I'm flattered you'd agree with me, ne1, i'm tolerable on occasion.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #65
    J2K4 and I have had this discussion before and it all comes down to matter of style.

I prefer to post like a kick in the nuts, obvious to anyone, and painful if you are not well protected.

He prefers to dance around and distract you with his literary skills, only when he's gone do you realize you have been pantsed (your pants are around your ankles).

Just know this about J2k4, he is not just out to fight, but to discuss. I posted something which I am sure pissed him off. He decided to spot me this one and hold his own (my Rush Limbaugh post). He never uttered a word about it, but in reading other posts (celebrities you have met) and reading between the lines (Yes, i figured it out before discovering that thread) it became apparent that he would have loved to have countered me on this one, but he chose the bigger picture and the higher road and moved on. I noted this, kudos to him.
    Aren't we in the trust tree, thingey?

6. The Drawing Room   -   #66
    Originally posted by myfiles3000+17 April 2003 - 23:47--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (myfiles3000 @ 17 April 2003 - 23:47)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--ne1GotZardoz@18 April 2003 - 05:17
    more to the point, big words don&#39;t imply intelligence -- surely there&#39;s a stronger correlation between wisdom and intelligence than intelligence and big words, wouldn&#39;t you say?
    I&#39;m flattered you&#39;d agree with me, ne1, i&#39;m tolerable on occasion. [/b][/quote]
    Again I find myself in agreement with you.

Scary.

However, my point is still valid. There are alot of inteligent fools out there.

And probably just as many uninteligent sages.

Go to a college frat house on a Friday night to prove the former, then have a chat with a Waffle House cook at 3am any night of the week to prove the later.

Or your local bartender.

Peace

7. The Drawing Room   -   #67
    MagicNakor's Avatar On the Peripheral
    Originally posted by ne1GotZardoz@18 April 2003 - 05:17
    And for the record, being able to use big words does not mean one should...
    Certainly not. I know a guy who enjoyed showing off his vocabulary. He and I often tangled, because he thought he was the only one to have a wide vocabulary. Unfortunately, he was incorrect.

That&#39;s not my point, though. One day, he corrected his drill sergeant&#39;s grammar.

His hubris disappeared pretty quick. Far more enjoyable to speak with, now that he&#39;s not trying to prove vocabulary equals intelligence.

things are quiet until hitler decides he'd like to invade russia
    so, he does
    the russians are like "OMG WTF D00DZ, STOP TKING"
    and the germans are still like "omg ph34r n00bz"
    the russians fall back, all the way to moscow
    and then they all begin h4xing, which brings on the russian winter
    the germans are like "wtf, h4x"
    -- WW2 for the l33t

8. The Drawing Room   -   #68
    There is something to be said about a well written post.

Intelligent has 2 l&#39;s

A sage is defined as someone who is characterized by wisdom and good judgement.

I guess there is a fine line between using vocabulary, spelling, grammar and punctuation to hone your post to a razors edge and using supercilious lexicons to confuse and obfuscate.

By the way, I am wearing a thong&#33;
    Aren't we in the trust tree, thingey?

9. The Drawing Room   -   #69
    MagicNakor's Avatar On the Peripheral
    Originally posted by hobbes@18 April 2003 - 06:43
    ...I guess there is a fine line between using vocabulary, spelling, grammar and punctuation to hone your post to a razors edge and using supercilious lexicons to confuse and obfuscate...
    Indeed. And I&#39;ve noticed people here tend to slip off of that edge.

I really didn&#39;t want to know about the thong part.

How would a rabbit wear a thong...

things are quiet until hitler decides he'd like to invade russia
    so, he does
    the russians are like "OMG WTF D00DZ, STOP TKING"
    and the germans are still like "omg ph34r n00bz"
    the russians fall back, all the way to moscow
    and then they all begin h4xing, which brings on the russian winter
    the germans are like "wtf, h4x"
    -- WW2 for the l33t

10. The Drawing Room   -   #70
    Originally posted by hobbes@18 April 2003 - 00:43

By the way, I am wearing a thong&#33;
    That&#39;s waaay too much info.

I hope you&#39;re a voluptuous female.

If you&#39;re a fat guy, we have a problem.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast