Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread: The Famous Statue Topple

clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Originally posted by ne1GotZardoz@17 April 2003 - 22:17

Why do you think most great works are written on a 5th grade level?

Even Shakespeare's works, in their time, were written to convey some of the deepest thoughts of that great mind, in terms no man or woman could fail to understand.

Poe, Azimov, Bradbury, Feist, King, Koontz, Aristotle, Socrates, Confucius, Mohamad, Moses, Ghandi, Jesus of Nazareth, Martin Luther King, John F. Kenedy, etc.

They did not waste their energy writing or speaking to the intellectual community.

If they had, people would have yawned, (even the intellectuals), and picked up the morning news of their time.

They targeted their message to the common man.

That is simply NOT TRUE!

Linking Poe, Asimov and Koontz(?) with Aristotle, Jesus and Kennedy requires a intellectual leap that I am unwilling to make.

Apparently the 5th grade in your world is far different than mine.

By your definition Dr. Seuss was a great thinker.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

2. The Drawing Room   -   #72
    Poster
    Wow,this is interesting.

Maybe we'll see a few more attacks on intellectuals in this place that could've come right from Stalin/Polpot/Pinochet/Saddams' little corners of the world.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #73
    Originally posted by DiogenesUK@18 April 2003 - 17:23
    Wow,this is interesting.

Maybe we'll see a few more attacks on intellectuals in this place that could've come right from Stalin/Polpot/Pinochet/Saddams' little corners of the world. 
    You certainly have a selective attention. Don't you follow-up on your posts? All you do is post other people words and snipe at America with your sarcastic quips.

People have asked you clarify your comments so we have some basis for discussion. You either don't follow-up your posts or you choose not to. If the latter, which is suspected, it certainly undermines the credibilty of any subsequent posts.
    Aren't we in the trust tree, thingey?

4. The Drawing Room   -   #74
    Originally posted by clocker+18 April 2003 - 08:09--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (clocker @ 18 April 2003 - 08:09)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--ne1GotZardoz@17 April 2003 - 22:17

Why do you think most great works are written on a 5th grade level?

Even Shakespeare&#39;s works, in their time, were written to convey some of the deepest thoughts of that great mind, in terms no man or woman could fail to understand.

Poe, Azimov, Bradbury, Feist, King, Koontz, Aristotle, Socrates, Confucius, Mohamad, Moses, Ghandi, Jesus of Nazareth, Martin Luther King, John F. Kenedy, etc.

They did not waste their energy writing or speaking to the intellectual community.

If they had, people would have yawned, (even the intellectuals), and picked up the morning news of their time.

They targeted their message to the common man.

That is simply NOT TRUE&#33;

Linking Poe, Asimov and Koontz(?) with Aristotle, Jesus and Kennedy requires a intellectual leap that I am unwilling to make.

Apparently the 5th grade in your world is far different than mine.

By your definition Dr. Seuss was a great thinker. [/b][/quote]
    You have obviously not &#39;read&#39; Dr Suess.

Or you lack the intellect to understand the wisdom of his works.

Aimed at children, loved and understood by most adults.

Perhaps you should re-read Horton Hears a Who.

Or the Peanut Butter Battle Book.

Wisdom is not limited to the intelectually elite. In fact, it usually escapes them.

Wisdom is the result of experience tempered with an attempt at understanding.

Have you ever read or studied the people I mentioned?

Have you considered them in the context of my post?

Or did you simply see a group of names and miss the connection?

Peace

5. The Drawing Room   -   #75
    Originally posted by DiogenesUK@18 April 2003 - 11:23
    Wow,this is interesting.

Maybe we&#39;ll see a few more attacks on intellectuals in this place that could&#39;ve come right from Stalin/Polpot/Pinochet/Saddams&#39; little corners of the world.
    I&#39;m sorry...I thought they WERE intellectuals.

Or at least that THEY considered themselves to be.

Peace

6. The Drawing Room   -   #76
    [quote]Originally posted by clocker@18 April 2003 - 14:09
    Quote Originally Posted by ne1GotZardoz,17 April 2003 - 22:17
    By your definition Dr. Seuss was a great thinker.
    Dont underestimate Dr. Seuss, he&#39;s not as harmless as he looks.
    Dr. Seuss Goes To War: The World War II Editorial Cartoons Of Theodor Seuss Geisel
    http://orpheus.ucsd.edu/speccoll/dspolitic/

7. The Drawing Room   -   #77
    sArA's Avatar Ex-Moderatererer
    Oh what fun&#33; Oh what joy&#33;

This thread so far has been a delight to read&#33;

Some clearly bright people debating and posturing about what it means to be intelligent, among other things...

Well, Shakespear&#39;s wise fool in King Lear was a perfect example of wisdom in the form of apparently simple messages with underlying complex truths.

Likewise, truth from the mouths of babes also proves that being well read and having a wide vocabulary is not the only indicator of insight.

Personally, I like a little of both, I am the only one of my closest friends to have the little bits of paper to prove how many years I spent at college....but they are my closest friends for obvious reasons, they have wit, intelligence, insight and powerful observation and analytical skills, way beyond many of those I work with, whose educational levels would indicate otherwise.

The intellectual therefore does not (in my opinion) require a huge vocabulary of obscure words but an ability to see beyond the end of one&#39;s nose.

Saying that....it is rather fun to bandy semantics with those who do....

8. The Drawing Room   -   #78
    Poster
    Originally posted by sara5564@18 April 2003 - 21:14
    Personally, I like a little of both, I am the only one of my closest friends to have the little bits of paper to prove how many years I spent at college....but they are my closest friends for obvious reasons, they have wit, intelligence, insight and powerful observation and analytical skills, way beyond many of those I work with, whose educational levels would indicate otherwise.

All but for me, I`ve always been a bit fik, but we`re still best mates.
    see ya Sara.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #79
    sArA's Avatar Ex-Moderatererer
    Originally posted by Bass@18 April 2003 - 21:32

All but for me, I`ve always been a bit fik, but we`re still best mates.
    see ya Sara.
    Ha ha ha......Bass, you are one of those I was refering to you wally&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

Looking forward to a good ole chin wag when I go back to the UK matey....

10. The Drawing Room   -   #80
    Poster
    Sara, you have this totally wonderful ability to drag yourself down to my level, and I too, am so much looking forward to a good chat over a nice hot cuppa&#33;
    what a lovely woman&#33;
    see ya,
    Bass.xxx

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast