Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: The Famous Statue Topple

Poster
    Originally posted by hobbes+18 April 2003 - 18:24--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (hobbes @ 18 April 2003 - 18:24)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--DiogenesUK@18 April 2003 - 17:23
    Wow,this is interesting.

Maybe we&#39;ll see a few more attacks on intellectuals in this place that could&#39;ve come right from Stalin/Polpot/Pinochet/Saddams&#39; little corners of the world.&nbsp;
    You certainly have a selective attention. Don&#39;t you follow-up on your posts? All you do is post other people words and snipe at America with your sarcastic quips.

People have asked you clarify your comments so we have some basis for discussion. You either don&#39;t follow-up your posts or you choose not to. If the latter, which is suspected, it certainly undermines the credibilty of any subsequent posts.[/b][/quote]
    That&#39;s fair comment Hobbes,I&#39;ll have a look at replying later,no problem.

My snipes have been at the U.S. administration,but I can see that maybe hasn&#39;t been made clear.I&#39;m well aware that almost 1/2 of the population,maybe more,(but that&#39;s another story),didn&#39;t vote for this lot,and probably only a small percentage who did elect them actually guessed what was coming.

These boards are just a bit of ever so slightly anarchic fun to me,much like sitting around with folks in the pub putting the world to rights,knowing that we can&#39;t do a damn thing about it, & having a laugh,I&#39;m sorry if I cause offence.I may well cause more,who cares? I find many comments here offensive too.....people will get over it,as they say.

I&#39;ve already tried apologising to folks to whom I&#39;ve been rude & out of order,by my own admission.Any more than that I can&#39;t really do,other than being slightly more careful in future.But I do stand by my comments regarding the hypocrisy of a few on here.They want a (perceived) strong government on the one hand,then bleat sadly when their rights to appropriate copyrighted material are threatened by the very workings of that same administration.

Still,why have only one set of standards when we can have several eh???

Take care

2. The Drawing Room   -   #82
    From: why do we download- ah, hyperlinks, a work in progress for the computer challenged. I&#39;m not sure how to link directly to my post, just the thread.

I would agree with that and the link above proves it.

I am right handed, but left footed, I think that aptly describes my political philosphy. Depends on the issue. I have no preconceived template that the data presented to me must be distorted to fit.

Brains not working ATM, so I&#39;ll just post this till I can find the coffee.
    Aren't we in the trust tree, thingey?

3. The Drawing Room   -   #83
    Poster
    Originally posted by hobbes@15 April 2003 - 14:19
    J2K4,

I awoke this morning to find my dictionary empty. Suspicious, I checked the forum and found all the words in your posts above.&nbsp; Could you please return them when your done.

Thanks in advance.

Diogenes,

You seem to have a unique perspective. My experience with Jewish people has been largely positive. I grew up in a suburb where most of the population was Jewish. My best friends were Jewish and I can never remember religion being an issue. My apperance is overtly non-Jewish, almost the stereotypical antithesis, but this never seemed to bother the parents of any of my friends. I felt as welcome in their homes as I did at the homes of my nonJewish friends.

Without going into my life story, I find it hard to understand how these people I grew up with would support what you are describing in Israel.

Most Americans couldn&#39;t find Israel on a map, most Americans could care less about it.&nbsp; We do have a very active and powerful Jewish contingent in our population who lobby for pro-Israeli policies for sure, but Americans are not Pro-Israel and it is certainly no sacred cow, which is above criticism.

Your comments intrigue me, please clarify.
    I too,find it impossible to believe that any of my friends would countenance such an apocryphal event,it&#39;s just something that was passed on to me by an Israeli friend.

Maybe it&#39;s just another bit of paranoia eh,who knows.One thing&#39;s for sure,there won&#39;t be anyone around to say " I told you so" if any of it&#39;s true.

http://www.jewsformorality.org/armageddon.htm

http://www.iraqwar.org/fundamentalists.htm

4. The Drawing Room   -   #84
    Originally posted by DiogenesUK@18 April 2003 - 17:23
    But I do stand by my comments regarding the hypocrisy of a few on here.They want a (perceived) strong government on the one hand,then bleat sadly when their rights to appropriate copyrighted material are threatened by the very workings of that same administration.

Still,why have only one set of standards when we can have several eh???

Take care
    Agreed that we should be paying for this service.

I wouldn&#39;t though.

I simply cannot afford it.

If I have extra money to throw around, and this venue is no longer available for free, I&#39;ll buy the CD.

Its better quality really and I get the cool inserts that often come with store bought media.

But you&#39;re looking at a poor guy here.
    Single dad raising a 9 year old.

I love that I can download the entire works of Shakespeare in the prefered PDF format, or Harry Potter E-books complete with images.
    And even the movie if I&#39;m catching up on bills at the time.

If I had the money, I would support the movie and music industry more.
    They look so much better in their official authorized cases don&#39;t they?

They are not losing any money from me.

I&#39;m just pissed that I still haven&#39;t found Zardoz on here. Excelent movie.
    70&#39;s Post Apocalypse flick starring Sean Connery.

I&#39;m just flat out surprised that its not here. I would expect some Connery fans to have all his works.

hint...hint

5. The Drawing Room   -   #85
    Holy coincidences batman&#33;

I was just about to start a thread titled "Explain your name" because I was sick and tired of reading and rereading your name to figure out what it meant and how to pronounce it.

Anyone got Zardoz?- how obvious. Would have been easier if I had heard of that movie.

Download the SNL celebrity Jeopardy skits for a little Connery fix.

Dio,

I didn&#39;t but scan your links, but I got the point. If it were funny, I would laugh, but it is just sad.

All the signs are pointing to Armaggedon and soon, just listen to the evidence.

This scared me once when I was 5 when they told me about the Bear (Russia) and the Eagle (America) coming into conflict over whatever. All signs were pointing to the fulfillment of prophecy. Christ was coming SOON&#33;

Man, they just keep the same template and distort reality to fit it, as I alluded to before. I&#39;ve seen so many of these, with their "irrefutable" evidence, that the whole schtick has become a platitude.

Check back in 20 years, you will see the same thing. They will swear that they really, really, really are sure this time.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #86
    Originally posted by DiogenesUK@18 April 2003 - 18:26

I too,find it impossible to believe that any of my friends would countenance such an apocryphal event,it&#39;s just something that was passed on to me by an Israeli friend.

Maybe it&#39;s just another bit of paranoia eh,who knows.One thing&#39;s for sure,there won&#39;t be anyone around to say " I told you so" if any of it&#39;s true.

http://www.jewsformorality.org/armageddon.htm

http://www.iraqwar.org/fundamentalists.htm
    I look at it this way...

If the world doesn&#39;t come to an end, it doesn&#39;t matter. Life goes on.

If the world does come to an end, it still doesn&#39;t matter because no-one will be around to miss it.

Either way, the only way it matters is if I waste the few precious years human beings are given to live, on worrying whether or not its going to happen.

I mean...Hey...The end comes to all mankind...eventually.

Peace

7. The Drawing Room   -   #87
    Poster
    I&#39;m with you guys on this armageddon thing,life&#39;s short enough as it is to be fretting about what some demagogue or other&#39;s planning for us.

It&#39;s just so sad that people in authority haven&#39;t anything better to do than shorten what is already a tenuous hold on life for many.

I&#39;ll shut up now before I&#39;m accused of being a hippy.........don&#39;t worry,I&#39;m not middle class enough for that one

Take care

8. The Drawing Room   -   #88
    On that note, this is my last post in the Ongoing US/Coalition forums.

There&#39;s really nothing left to discuss on that topic and you&#39;ll notice that everyone has now strayed off topic anyway.

Peace

9. The Drawing Room   -   #89
    Originally posted by ne1GotZardoz@19 April 2003 - 15:19
    On that note, this is my last post in the Ongoing US/Coalition forums.

There&#39;s really nothing left to discuss on that topic and you&#39;ll notice that everyone has now strayed off topic anyway.

Peace
    Seems that this forum has sort of selected out the more serious type of poster and there has been a rather inspiring exchange of ideas and view points. Trust me, I come from the Anarchy Online forum (just an online game) and this is so much more enjoyable. I don&#39;t have to re-invent the wheel everyday.

Shame we can&#39;t somehow preserve this more mature area so we are not thrown back in the "Whose got the cutest butt" social forum.

Hey, I&#39;m all for taking about "boobies" and such, but it seems that more serious discussions are immisible with this silly (but healthy) banter.

What I&#39;m saying is that I don&#39;t want to be thrown back into the kiddie pool. Give us an adult section.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #90
    MagicNakor's Avatar On the Peripheral
    Which is another one of my reasons for wanting a Bookworld.

People that don&#39;t read (as in read books on a constant basis, not people who are illiterate) are far less likely to stop by Bookworld. It won&#39;t be either of use, or of interest to them.

things are quiet until hitler decides he'd like to invade russia
    so, he does
    the russians are like "OMG WTF D00DZ, STOP TKING"
    and the germans are still like "omg ph34r n00bz"
    the russians fall back, all the way to moscow
    and then they all begin h4xing, which brings on the russian winter
    the germans are like "wtf, h4x"
    -- WW2 for the l33t

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast