Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: new setup. questions about SATA, PSU and ram

clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Good question.
    I've never tried so I don't know.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    lynx's Avatar .
    If you can simply plug the 20 pin cable into a 24 pin motherboard, why would anyone bother making an adapter?

There are no new supply voltages, just more of the existing ones. So it is possible that some mobos will simply common them all together and therefore the extra pins are not really needed. Others may not, so parts of your mobo may be without power. That imbalance could itself cause problems, would you want to risk it for the price of a cheap adapter?

@clocker, re SATA power cables, I meant that the boards indicated both had them, I should have been clearer. I actually thought about that at the time.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    umm I'm having a hard time installing SATA, spent last 3 hrs on trying to get the sata hd to work and I still can't work it, I installed the first part of the windows setup file now on to the second part, it sorta of sees teh hard drive cause it installed the setup files on my hard drive and partitioned n stuff but when i restart how do I access it?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    can I curse? FUCK!
    Ok so with all the problems solved. Does any KNOW if there would be an immense performance jump from an Athlon XP 2600+ to the AMD 64 3000+ venice? (check my sig for other parts)

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiranai_Baka
    Hrmm.. I read on one of the newegg comments that you don't need the adapter for the 20 to 24 pin and that you can just plug it in. Do I lose anything if I just plug it in without the adapter?
    I really think it depends on your setup.The old term READ THE MANUAL comes to mind here.On my board you don't need an adapter,just plug the 20 pin into the 24.But when I decide to upgrade to pci express video card I will need a 24 pin power supply.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    Ok so with all the problems solved. Does any KNOW if there would be an immense performance jump from an Athlon XP 2600+ to the AMD 64 3000+ venice? (check my sig for other parts)
    I know.
    The answer is yes.

You enjoy the benefits of the improved memory controller, a far more sophisticated chipset AND the warm, fuzzy feeling of helping AMD survive their marketing fuckups.

Pretty much a win-win-win situation.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    can I curse? FUCK!
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker
    I know.
    The answer is yes.

You enjoy the benefits of the improved memory controller, a far more sophisticated chipset AND the warm, fuzzy feeling of helping AMD survive their marketing fuckups.

Pretty much a win-win-win situation.
    another question to add on (Lol sorry about all this)
    If I don't install xp64, would be sort of bottleneck the system really badly?

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    another question to add on (Lol sorry about all this)
    If I don't install xp64, would be sort of bottleneck the system really badly?
    No.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    Agreed....no.

Til software is written/optimized to run the 64-bit architecture, you won't be bottlenecking at all running regular 32-bit XP.

You will be able to enjoy the advantages of the improved memory access, etc. right away though.

The difference is quite noticable.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    can I curse? FUCK!
    after some use of this new setup, I find it is not up to my expectations since I'm downloading 3-5gig files, its taking up my ram on azureus and thinking of buying another 512. Is it okay for me to put another stick of ram while there is a dual channel setup already?

If it is okay, then can it be a different brand of ram?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast