Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why Are We Downloading? My Perspective

Like it or not, we are all sinners.

2. Lounge   -   #12
    Why Are We Downloading?

I think it's simple. Because we can. 
    I have got to agree with both Somebody1234 and Freakgrl, but for different reasons

1) because we can sorta sums up our largess of choices on the net' these days, this is a good thing
    2) To find out about a wider choice of subjects, be it music, movies, games etc... and widen our personal horizons of taste

but from my personal point of view

3) to filter the cr@p

No matter what spin you put on the reason for filesharing, it all boils down to filtering the cr@p away and leaving yourself with a broadened horizon of good stuff (again insert genre here), which for the majority will lead to the better stuff being supported through the medium of cash (i.e. buying it)

but... there are ppl out there that despite finding the best stuff available, will simply not part with the money to support the product , this leads to the dwnloading of everything in sight and never paying for mor than an internet connection, this si something I personally DO NOT AGREE WITH, but it happens

Anyway... I am now getting off my soapbox and trawling the www for more stuff

Take care all...

~-- patience just takes practice --~

3. Lounge   -   #13
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Originally posted by MusicWorld@13 April 2003 - 17:50
    Like it or not, we are all sinners.
    Mea culpa, mea maximum culpa... B)
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

4. Lounge   -   #14
    1. I have not purchased a CD in years, I just steal free files off Kazaa-lite. All those people taking the time to produce albums and make movies are getting nothing from me for their efforts. I am a bad man.

2. A legitimate point MusicWorld makes is that the dissemination of non-mainstream music is choked off by radiostations more intent on cashing in on pop than sharing a love of music. So, in order to get new influences he is essentially FORCED here as it would be impractical to start buying album after album to find a few good songs.

We all need to feed our kids, so lets not villianize the music and motion picture industries for trying to make money. Is it fair to make a 700 million dollar movie, have 1 copy posted on kazaa-lite and the whole world downloads it for free. Obviously not.

3. Radio is free because it is essentially a teaser, a sampler. To enjoy an artist you were forced to the stores to buy his album. So it was in the best interest of the music industry to keep this venue (radio) free and accessible to all. Any cost would be offset by record sales. However, with kazaa, you don't need to buy anything, you essentially own any album you want.

I think the right and honorable thing is to have things like this as a subscription service. This way the struggling bands can get some renumeration for their efforts.

I hate to admit it, but we SHOULD be paying for this service. We are all copyright violators and criminals and we will continue to be until the music and movie industries figure out how to USE to internet, rather than fight it.

If I get jailed for this all I can say is: "I call top bunk!"
    Aren't we in the trust tree, thingey?

5. Lounge   -   #15
    Originally posted by hobbes@13 April 2003 - 18:31

If I get jailed for this all I can say is: "I call top bunk!"
    Sorry buddy, Joseph Nievelt beat you to it.

6. Lounge   -   #16
    Originally posted by clocker+13 April 2003 - 18:39--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (clocker @ 13 April 2003 - 18:39)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--hobbes@13 April 2003 - 18:31

If I get jailed for this all I can say is: "I call top bunk&#33;"
    Sorry buddy, Joseph Nievelt beat you to it. [/b][/quote]
    Then he can be my bitch, sweet&#33;
    Aren't we in the trust tree, thingey?

7. Lounge   -   #17
    Originally posted by hobbes@13 April 2003 - 18:58

Then he can be my bitch, sweet&#33;
    You will THRIVE in prison with such a positive attitude.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12