Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: trouble setting up heatsink on amd64

can I curse? FUCK!
    I've been at this for two hours. I latched both sides down on the plastic thing sticking out and I'm trying to push that arm over to lock it but it won't reach. HELP PLEASE.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    can I curse? FUCK!
    Ok, I've figured out the processor problem. I had trouble booting past the logo screen and the possibility of overheating came to mind so I let it cool down but it still didn't boot past the logo screen. do you guys think its the motherboard problem? the video card is working fine and it let me install windows and boot into windows but now its not booting past the logo screen. I've sent for an RMA. What do you guys think of this problem?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    cpt_azad's Avatar Colonel
    Had the exact same problem (sort of), first off, the boot screen, is it the Windows (XP/etc) loading screen (with the loading bar on the bottom that scrolls across)? Or is it the boot screen that says F8 Settings, Del BIOS, etc. If its the Windows XP loading screen that you keep getting stuck at it's a video card problem, if not it's something else but I'll help ya out. Just post back and let me know what boot screen.

Jeff Loomis: He's so good, he doesn't need to be dead to have a tribute.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiranai_Baka
    Ok, I've figured out the processor problem. I had trouble booting past the logo screen and the possibility of overheating came to mind ....
    How did you figure out the heatsink problem?
    If you had problems latching the cam arm down I suspect the sink was installed backwards and the recess on the heatsink was not clearing the cam box on the processor socket.

This would mean that the sink was not actually touching the processor...which would lead to almost instantaneous overheating and then shutdown.

Sound familiar?
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    can I curse? FUCK!
    I called up AMD and they told me that both sides lock down and the arm just has to be pushed over. I've tried it with the arm pushed over and not and they both perform the same way.
    as for cpt. It freezes on the screen with the screen that says F8 settings, DEL bios.

Also. How do I go about RMAing things? do I get my own box or do I just bring it to fedex with the RMA info and they'll put it on the box?
    Last edited by Shiranai_Baka; 08-18-2005 at 01:13 PM.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    lynx's Avatar .
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiranai_Baka
    I called up AMD and they told me that both sides lock down and the arm just has to be pushed over. I've tried it with the arm pushed over and not and they both perform the same way.
    as for cpt. It freezes on the screen with the screen that says F8 settings, DEL bios.

Also. How do I go about RMAing things? do I get my own box or do I just bring it to fedex with the RMA info and they'll put it on the box?
    If it makes no difference whether it is locked down or not, then you've almost certainly done something wrong, since that probably means it is not locked down in either position.

Turn the cam to the fully unlocked position. Now hook the clip to the base, this isn't very obvious in the picture. Finally, turn the cam to the locked position, you will know if you've got this right as it gets tighter as it nears it's final position.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    can I curse? FUCK!
    Both sides hooked to the base and I pushed the arm over but it still doesn't work. I've RMAd the mobo already. Ordered the epox one. I've done what Foxconn and AMD told me to do and it didn't boot up right.

forgot to mention that the system DID boot past the logo screen twice. First time was to windows and I copied some files and rebooted and it locked up at the screen again.

Second time was when I was installing XP64 and once it finished installing it locked up again. AMD tech support said that the mobo probably didn't support much of the new revisions of the processors so that might've been another factor. I called back foxconn and they started giving me an attitude so I gave up and RMAd.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    cpt_azad's Avatar Colonel
    I hate tech support, unfortanetly I can't help you sorry because the problem I was having was it kept freezing at the windows XP loading splash screen, but you might try this and see if it works. Boot up in VGA mode or boot with the last known settings that worked. Also, go into BIOS and check to see if your video card that is being used is either the onboard or your own PCI-E/PCI/AGP. That's the most common problem apparently when I got in touch with Nvidia.

Jeff Loomis: He's so good, he doesn't need to be dead to have a tribute.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    can I curse? FUCK!
    Thats the thing. I can't even get past the logo screen. It freezes at the logo screen. I've seen other people say they can run it on the same cpu on the newegg comments so it probably is the mobo. do you guys think so?

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    You have two problems, so lets play a guessing game.

One lies between the CPU and heatsink.

The other lies between the chair and the keyboard.

The second needs fixing asap, i susgest getting a new model right away.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast