Thread: Almost Narrowed Down My Problem. Dma & Pio

kAb's Avatar Poster
    ok, i think my suddenly slow comp has to do with my "device 0" being in PIO mode. Now i have no idea what the fuck i just said, but have a look:

PC Pitstop said i had major problems in the uncached part of my C: drive. It suggested i check out to see if i'm in PIO mode, well i am, in device 0. is this a problem? and how do I get back into DMA mode? It is selected as you can see, but won't go back even with a restart.

Any help is DEEPLY appreciated.

EDIT: and is jumping from 76 fragmented files to over 350 in roughly three hours normal?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    pio mode is a propriatary mode and is slower then dma its ether an old drive or u dont have the right drivers for it or u dont have any dma chanales left for it it use to be 5 max dma chanales on a pc but this might have changed with win 2000 and winXP if the MB suports it

and as far as fragmented files thats nothing kazaa will fragment files quicker then any thing

dma is dinamic memory addressing and alowws hard drives to wright and read strait to mem also video cards and other things that suport it this way it can move stuff around with out going thru the cpu if ur in pio mode then every thing that gos in and out of that disk must go thru the cpu to get where its going and can make ur comp run slower

try going in to device manager and removing that drive and restart ur compto see if window can find a better driver for it also try going in to the bios and seting the drive up not just auto detect and they removing the drive from device manager again if that dont help go to the drive manufacturs sight and look it up to see if its got dma or if there are any problem reported for it and if theres any updated drivers and such for it. if after u do all this u cant find an ancer its probly just and old drive that cant do dma

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    kAb's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by QuietSilence!@12 April 2003 - 23:25
    pio mode is a propriatary mode and is slower then dma its ether an old drive or u dont have the right drivers for it or u dont have any dma chanales left for it it use to be 5 max dma chanales on a pc but this might have changed with win 2000 and winXP if the MB suports it

and as far as fragmented files thats nothing kazaa will fragment files quicker then any thing

dma is dinamic memory addressing and alowws hard drives to wright and read strait to mem also video cards and other things that suport it this way it can move stuff around with out going thru the cpu if ur in pio mode then every thing that gos in and out of that disk must go thru the cpu to get where its going and can make ur comp run slower

try going in to device manager and removing that drive and restart ur compto see if window can find a better driver for it also try going in to the bios and seting the drive up not just auto detect and they removing the drive from device manager again if that dont help go to the drive manufacturs sight and look it up to see if its got dma or if there are any problem reported for it and if theres any updated drivers and such for it. if after u do all this u cant find an ancer its probly just and old drive that cant do dma
    how simple is it to reinstall a drive?

i read that after about 6 errors, it will switch to PIO mode and you must uninstall a drive and reinstall it. will this affect any programs? do i need to make back ups?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Poster
    What Windows version are you using?
    What is your hardware?

- All drives in your system
    - Motherboard

What BIOS revision do you have?

How are the drives connected it the IDE channels? (what is connected where)

Yes, it is always a good idea to have a backup of your data before changing things.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    kAb's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by Somebody1234@13 April 2003 - 14:28
    What Windows version are you using?
    What is your hardware?

- All drives in your system
    - Motherboard

What BIOS revision do you have?

How are the drives connected it the IDE channels? (what is connected where)

Yes, it is always a good idea to have a backup of your data before changing things.
    1. XP
    2. i don't know

i have a primary drive and a secondary drive. in both of them, device 0 is in "PIO mode".

i've been browsing other forums and i'm pretty sure that i either reinstall the drives, or delete a file in the registry editor. these being "MasterIDDataCheckSum" and/or "SlaveIDDataCheckSum". but i don't know whether device0 is Master or Slave...

here is the topic i've been looking at for help: http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=6645

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Poster
    Device 0 should be Primary Master.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    kAb's Avatar Poster
    ok i finally figured it out.
    device 0=Master
    device 1=Slave

I deleted a file in regedit called MasterIdDataCheckSum, and my problems are over. It switched back to DMA thank god, and my computer is running fast again.

Thanks for all you help everyone in both of my topics

edit: you beat me somebody1234, but in a sense, i beat you

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    FISHnMUSICIAN
    I just replied to your request in another thread for the same problem. Seeing as you fixed the problem, please ignore my reply.