Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Downloading At Below Zero

Poster
    If you find someone with a slow upload speed (like 0.5KB/sec or less), message them with a reasonable (not angry) message that they may have their upload slots set too high.

For many users, it would ALSO help to set upload BANDWIDTH in Kazaa (lite++ for us...) to no more than the max upload speed our ISP allows. If you only have 128kbps upload bw on your cablemodem/dsl, and you have upload bandwidth in KL++ set to unlimited then it'll try to push out 200kbps in a second and >80kbps will fail, get lost, have to be resent, etc -- and your ISP is counting part of those oversends against your limited max speed -- so you end up getting LESS out than if set to 128kbps max in KL++. Plus, it makes everything else slower.

I&#39;d rather have 56k modems sharing only 1 slot at 24kilobits (that&#39;s 3 KB/sec) -- that way it doesn&#39;t hurt them as much... and a rare extra download source at 2-3 KB/sec is certainly nicer than the not-so-rare download speeds of <0.2KB/sec.

2. File Sharing   -   #12
    I might also add from another post...

I have noticed since upgrading to 2.10 and using kazap it seems something slowed down. WTF is it set for default to search every 10 seconds, this must eat bandwidth. I even remember earlier versions of Speedup warning not to over use as it would eat bandwidth as well. I am currently testing with kazap on and off, seems to f**k up dl speed and may conflict with Speedup running at the same time. I don&#39;t think 2.10 should have been packaged with both. There may be alot of users running this without even knowing it. I suggest you use Speedup and pause kazap (should be eliminated from the program). I set Speedup to Find More Sources every 60 seconds, what about the rest of you. I am swaying to believe this is to much and every 300 seconds or in between may be better.

Well thats it, for a couple of weeks I couldn&#39;t get speeds beyond 25kb/s, ocasionally 75kb/s but it dropped down quickly. I thought I might just be digging hard to find files, although I had mutiple users all with shiity width (below 1), they couldn&#39;t all be 56kers? I turned off KaZap and like magic 100kb/s steady and more&#33;&#33; Well so much for that.

One additional comment that was poted to the above was...

kylman5000 Posted: 14 April 2003 - 23:12
    It all depends on the situation. I turn off kazap when i connect at above 50, otherwise, i just leave it on. just jump supernodes every couple of hours, if you cant find a fast user.

Funny to see his name in my post considering
    But this is true, and a happy medium. Although I have gone back to Speedup, remembering if it ain&#39;t broke and your happy (which I was), don&#39;t fix it (true up to a point).

3. File Sharing   -   #13
    Poster
    Kazap has been removed allready I think, and soon neither speedup nor kazap will be included, the latest k++ extensions will include a speedup utility built in

Searching any more than 30 seconds is insane and not needed, anything below 60 seconds IMO is too often

4. File Sharing   -   #14
    Ynhockey's Avatar Poster
    Well, personally i never used P2P when i had 56k. I just thought that i wouldn&#39;t be able to do anything with it and at that time i knew a lot of sites and FTPs where i could dl... unfortunately, they&#39;re all dead now

As for downloading below 1, it is a part of p2p. I&#39;m usually really happy to get 1 kB/s per source &#39;cause i often have 20+ sources for common files and the speed is good as far as i see it - i don&#39;t expect to get more than 20 kB/s anyway unless it&#39;s a really common file.

Anyway, if you leave a file for the night, who cares what speed you get ? 8 hours is usually enough to download anything on FastTrack, and if it isn&#39;t you still have school/work time which is around 9-10 hours, so you have 17-18 hours in total every 24 hours only to download&#33; Who cares if you sometimes get pathetic speeds ?

Anyway, that&#39;s my 2 cents.

5. File Sharing   -   #15
    Poster
    hi there &#33;
    let&#39;s not get too elitist&#33; as already pointed out not every file swapper can afford cable. i had 56k i now have cable (been there done that). and don&#39;t forget the upload on your page might be .05kb and on nine other pages as well equalling a pretty good 5kps. as we already know the more we share the quicker it moves from .05 to 5kps. when someone is uploading from me at .25 kps or whatever. i never kick them, they are conscious of the slow uptake and quite alarmingly i get a message from the uploading user asking to let them hang in there. i have a standard reply TAKE AS LONG AS YOU LIKE, the file your uploading came from k++
    regards
    m8t

6. File Sharing   -   #16
    Poster
    Originally posted by m8t@18 April 2003 - 14:02
    hi there &#33;
    let&#39;s not get too elitist&#33; as already pointed out not every file swapper can afford cable. i had 56k i now have cable (been there done that). and don&#39;t forget the upload on your page might be .05kb and on nine other pages as well equalling a pretty good 5kps. as we already know the more we share the quicker it moves from .05 to 5kps. when someone is uploading from me at .25 kps or whatever. i never kick them, they are conscious of the slow uptake and quite alarmingly i get a message from the uploading user asking to let them hang in there. i have a standard reply TAKE AS LONG AS YOU LIKE, the file your uploading came from k++
    regards
    m8t
    That is a real sharers attitude.

Haven&#39;t had cause to do this for a while. You get the Top Man of the Day award.

7. File Sharing   -   #17
    Poster
    Originally posted by m8t@18 April 2003 - 08:02
    and don&#39;t forget the upload on your page might be .05kb and on nine other pages as well equalling a pretty good 5kps. as we already know the more we share the quicker it moves from .05 to 5kps.
    10 times .05kps is only .5kps -- if that&#39;s all your cablemodem is uploading, it&#39;s broken.

If you&#39;re sharing huge numbers of files (2,000+), it slows down your downloads and uploads a little. The &#39;sweet spot&#39; for me is about 300-500 files shared.

If someone is downloading very slowly from me, I message them and ask if they want any tips to speed it up.

8. File Sharing   -   #18
    Poster
    Uh, is there a mod in the house?

9. File Sharing   -   #19
    Poster
    Probably as well waiting until heŽs finished then cleaning up the mess. HeŽll just keep doing it anyway.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12