Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guys Take Alook At This What U Thank ?

I got win xp from a friend and install it on my second drive D" use it for a while decide to clean my hard drive D" so i format it but it did not completely take off the winxp every time i boot up my computer stop and wait for me to choose win98 or winxp. so i try to format it again to clean win xp off but still the same old thing happens on boot up 'it ask me to choose win98 or winxp i say what the hell I'll just reinstall win xp back on my drive D" anyway. Now when I try to reinstall,win xp, it tell me cant fine the file on the hard drive that it looking for. is it a bad winxp I though when you format an Hard drive it clean every thing off the hard drive. can any one tell me what's the world going on how can i get my computer stop ask me to choose the win xp when the drive already been formated.all i would like to do is reinstall win xp on my second drive"D.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Supernode's Avatar SWEDISH BT Rep: +1
    Take winxp away from the boot.ini
    Seek for the file and edit it. Look on the net to be sure
    that you dont make trouble.
    Search dualboot+98 or something on google

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Also, if you have 2 partitions wich sounds like you might have it set up like me...
    windows 98se on c drive and
    windows xp on d drive....

windows xp puts the boot.ini file on the c drive for multi boot. make sure you get rid of the boot.ini file on your c drive.

id just reformat the c drive too, but thats just me and loving to install operating systems.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Supernode's Avatar SWEDISH BT Rep: +1
    Originally posted by technonrgkid@13 April 2003 - 04:25
    Also, if you have 2 partitions wich sounds like you might have it set up like me...
    windows 98se on c drive and
    windows xp on d drive....

windows xp puts the boot.ini file on the c drive for multi boot. make sure you get rid of the boot.ini file on your c drive.

id just reformat the c drive too, but thats just me and loving to install operating systems.
    Yes if i was an americano yo dicho lo mismo. Viva a microsofto losxp y officos.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Thank Supernode"'& technonrgkid for your in put . yey i have win98 on the C drive and win xp on the D" drive. and i have format both drive and re install win98 but it still there. you guys said it boot.ini file on drive C well how do you Delet that from your c drive

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    supernode, i get ya , pretty much i said the same as you lol.

Oxzer, well one way is to go into dos and delete it, i forget the commands for see the attribs on hidden files, but in dos what id do is just format the c drive when there. use a win98 , winme, or even win95 bootdisk to get in dos. Doesnt matter if you have winxp on there it still works.

It deff should work, deff.

unless you got another hidden drive that it is stored on there before the c drive ( wich is impossible, cause then it would be the b drive wich is floppy, and same for a , and last i knew, there is no minus a drive).

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    backing up a bit though.....

Do a search for boot.ini on all your drives, then you can see where they are alocated at. It should'nt be on the D drive , but still check.

THEN do the dos thing. Someone else prob can tell you even more easier way, but this is how id go about it.
    I would format c:
    in dos, then id
    format d:
    in dos, then id reboot and install win98 , then once i got it setup, then id install xp. should work.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    heres my 2 cents worth
    #1 are you installing xp or 98 from a hard drive (best to do it from a cd )
    #2 i always boot into dos from a floppy (windows 95 or 98 )98 i use the most ..
    then type "format c:" complete that . reboot to floppy then "format d:"
    you should then have 2 clean hd's ...install as needed
    #3 here is a copy of my (XP no 98) boot.ini file. **XP only**
    [boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

someone with dual boot or 98 might pass ther boot .ini along to him might be more helpfull to see what we meen
    sorry if i told you something you all ready know but i try to make it simple so i can understand it ..me simple minded..lol
    ****wheres my dam beer ? oops..did i say that out loud ****

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Originally posted by professorX@13 April 2003 - 07:11
    #1 are you installing xp or 98 from a hard drive (best to do it from a cd )
    Actually it's best to do it from harddrive.
    Copy all your files from cd to harddrive, and then install from dos. Why, cause the computer reads from the harddrive alot faster than from cd, (obviously). Plus it does'nt have to copy any other files that it would have to copy for the installation from cd. You usually see that when you start to install xp or windows OS, "copying installation files".

B)

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    very true i never looked at it that way. An if ya keep it on there after that you will never have to find the cd you forgot to put back in the box again, when installing another driver or app

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast