Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Private filesharing with friends?

Hanz™'s Avatar making the world go BT Rep: +3
    I am interested in sharing a couple of files with some friends and relatives that live abroad...
    Can anyone think of an effective way of doing this via. the internet (Duhhh)?

I read something about VPN but I don't really have a clue on this, and also read something about a program called ifolder.
    I thought originally that I could use a program such as DC and setup a private hub, but this is probably a bad way of doing this as there is probably quite alot of overhead and I don't leave my PC on constantly...

Gaim filesharing plugin also sounds promising but it seems that there has been no work on it, and there is no word on a release date, despite loads of money have been raised.

I need a filesharing program that allows me to only share with friends, that supports resumable downloads, and allows me to easily browse what my friends are offering, I do not want to have to pay to do this also.

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    What kind of files? Music, movies, software, etc.? Also, about how much would the total file size be?

yo

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizo
    What kind of files? Music, movies, software, etc.? Also, about how much would the total file size be?

I was thinking of yousendit , up to 1gb files .

http://www.yousendit.com/
    Last edited by peat moss; 08-19-2005 at 12:53 PM.

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    As was I, but if he wants to share movies or something, then DC might be the best place. Or maybe a Limewire, or emule and just give them his username.

yo

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    vivitron 15's Avatar Poster
    or setup ftp servers

or, setup a website/forum where you post lists of what you have, and use a private irc channel
    <insert signature here>

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    Found the perfect way to do what I was wanting with a program called Hamachi.
    See: www.hamachi.cc

What it is
    With Hamachi you can organize two or more computers with an Internet connection into their own virtual network for direct secure communication.

Hamachi is fast, secure and simple. It is also free.
    edit: does anyone want to try it out with me?
    Apart from the Spanish guy.
    Last edited by Hanz™; 08-19-2005 at 02:28 PM.

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    DanB's Avatar Smoke weed everyday
    I used to know of a program called Waste but I don't know if its still around

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by DanB
    I used to know of a program called Waste but I don't know if its still around
    That looks sweet, but it looks like they have stopped development - you can still get it on sourceforge though, I dunno whats better hamachi or WASTE - I'll try both...

FTP is not really such a brilliant idea as I don't leave my PC on all day - and it leaves your PC susceptible to hacking and is relatively hard to set-up/maintain...
    I could buy Server space, but my usage of it would not be completely legal, so its best I don't and besides that would mean I would have to upload all of my files...

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    smervincle's Avatar Member BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Im glad you found Hamachi, ive heard of using it to work around game serials for online multiplayer use also
    Your Faithfull Seeder,
    SmerVinCLE

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    Waste I use it everyday.
    Last edited by wingm8; 08-23-2005 at 06:43 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast