Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Setting Up Windows After Hardware

okay i finished the hardware sectiong... now to install windows...

any help? i have a win 2000, 98se, 95, xp cd.... it saids that i need dos or sumding...

when i plug in my new hard drive it cant read it...
    when i plug in my new hard drive and slave my old hard drive on then it reads both... explain?!??!

so far i only have three drives

a: -- removable drive?!?!
    x: -- cd rw
    y: -- cd rom

don't have hard drives...

b: works but when i do anything like dir/p or dir then it just saids

ABORT FAIL RETRY IGNORE

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Poster
    Is your Windows XP CD bootable? If it is then just bootup with that CD in your drive. You may need to set your BIOS boot sequence to boot the CD first.

Once the CD launches the setup it will ask you to partition and format the hard disk. (that's why you can't access the drive now. It's not formatted). Just go though the that part and then the Windows install will automaticly proceed afterwards.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    You may need to set your BIOS boot sequence to boot the CD first.
    Yep, that's all you need to do. Set you CD-ROM to boot first. The Windows screen will appear without problems. After you install, move the sequence back to normal.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    bios is set up...

im starting from scratch.... i said i can boot up to where i have

a: -- removable < they created it
    x: -- cd rw
    y: -- cd rom

three drives.... i cant install windows ....

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Originally posted by Somebody1234@16 April 2003 - 03:07
    Is your Windows XP CD bootable? If it is then just bootup with that CD in your drive. You may need to set your BIOS boot sequence to boot the CD first.

Once the CD launches the setup it will ask you to partition and format the hard disk. (that&#39;s why you can&#39;t access the drive now. It&#39;s not formatted). Just go though the that part and then the Windows install will automaticly proceed afterwards.
    ummm well i dled it from kazaa lite

window xp pro 2600 final... something like that

but my windows 98se is real so if anything i can always install that first and upgrade...

i used my asus motherboard disk to do boot up >> thatz how i get into the command prompt screen

my cousin told me to type fdisk and to set up the c: drive

i set it up but then when i restart my computer it saids

F1 DOS
    F5 2nd Disk

F? or F5 <-- one of those shows depending on the last F i clicked...

then it freezes and doesnt go anywhere

So far my master * new hard drive * & slave *old hard drive* is pluged in

--------------

i boot up using my old hard drive
    and their are three drives

a: floppy
    c: old hard drive
    d: 1.99 gb hard drive.... weird.... but all thatz in there are driver stuff...

no cd roms

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    maybe i should redo the fdisk.... following a guide... since all i did was keep clicking enter

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Poster
    Listen, Soul814, the best advice I can tell you is to pay attention to what we are telling you. Stop thinking about your preconceived ideas about Fdisk or DOS. Window XP does not use DOS nor do you want to use Fdisk to format you drive because you should use NTFS for XP. Fdisk can&#39;t do that.

Get a bootable XP CD or a bootdisk set. Boot your system with that and follow the instuctions I told you before.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    alright i will go and try that >> creating xp pro boot up disk >> 6 floppies.... got 2 so far... still digging for 4 more.. then i will follow what u said... and try installing it

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    alright... i found 5 floppies... well i put in the boot disk and there was a new blue menu... so it looks like its working so far ... i will keep you informed and

THANKS

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    alright nobody its working now installing thanks alot&#33;

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast