Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Lowers Gas Prices!!

Santa's Avatar dvhyt5er
    maybe they should make public transport so expensive that people regard it as posh (aka trendy) to use it

2. Lounge   -   #12
    Jon L. Obscene's Avatar Canadain potatoes!!!
    Yeah good idea cos that'll really work

Jonno

3. Lounge   -   #13
    NikkiD's Avatar Yen?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon L. Obscene
    No, they have been trying that here, want people to use public transport. Trouble is they keep putting the price of that up too

Jonno
    In urban areas it's cheaper to take public transport. In Toronto, the subway/bus/trolley is $2.50. That'll take you pretty much anywhere in the city. If you live in the Greater Toronto Area, the GO train/bus will take you into downtown. It's free to park at the GO train station, the cost differs depending on the length of the trip. From where I lived in Mississauga, it cost me 6.50 each way, so a daily total of less than $20. For me to drive to work in Toronto, it was about $5-$10 in gas, at least $10 to park (if I got there before 8am, after 8 it was $18). Then figure in insurance (which if you're driving into Toronto is outrageous), and wear and tear and maintenance to your car. Then there's the hassle of sitting in traffic for a couple hours.

However, where I live, there is no public transport - if you don't have a car, you're screwed. Example, here I sit waiting for my aunt/boss to come pick me up for work. It's the only way to get around.

We do have electric, natural gas, and propane cars here, which run on either gasoline or alternate fuel source. These hybrids are coming down in price as well, the newest Honda hybrids are down to around $30,000. Unfortunately, it's still more expensive than a similar strictly gasoline powered car. I'm not sure if there are currently tax incentives to purchase them, if there were, I'm sure people would be more inclined to do so. I'm also not sure what the performance is like on these vehicles, that could also be a factor. I'd have to test drive one to know for sure.

4. Lounge   -   #14
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Quote Originally Posted by NikkiD
    Or just drive off without paying.......even tho there are camera's it seems to be a problem here. One guy who owns a filling station has now even made a policy that you pay before you fill (this was on the news).........not sure how thats gonna work really....you walk in, pay £20 and go a penny over (like lots of us often do) you then have to go back in ........people will get pissed off with that and go somewhere else I reckon.

Jonno
    A lot of gas stations in the States are like that - you pay before you go to the pump, and the pump will only unlock once you have paid, and then will only pump the amount you paid for. I've not seen that here in Canada yet though. I don't see a problem with that, you either go in and pay before, or you go in and pay after - either way, it takes the same amount of time.
    I've seen them. They make us pay before when it's late at night. Pay $20 and it stops at $20.

Anyway... What's all the fuss. It doesn't change anything for me. I always put in $20.

5. Lounge   -   #15
    Tikibonbon's Avatar It'll Get Ya Drunk!
    I quess I have it pretty good than, hehe. Only has to buy a monthly pass for public transportation for $5.00.

6. Lounge   -   #16
    Public transport smells tho

Altho that might have been me

Jonno

7. Lounge   -   #17
    NikkiD's Avatar Yen?

Jonno
    Might have been?

8. Lounge   -   #18
    matt526's Avatar Poster
    Thanks to Hurricane Katrina Gas is going even higher

President Bush weighed a decision on whether to release some oil from the nation's petroleum reserves to help refiners hurt by Hurricane Katrina, administration officials said Monday. A decision was expected later in the day.

Not sure this will help much, but thanks for the effort Bush!

9. Lounge   -   #19
    Santa's Avatar dvhyt5er
    Last edited by 15%; 08-30-2005 at 01:48 AM.

10. Lounge   -   #20
    Quote Originally Posted by NikkiD

Jonno
    Might have been?
    What are you suggesting?

Well.....obviously that I smell .........yeah......ok I can't help it, it's the smell of honest work....and erm........anyway I went to filling station today for some bushcutter petrol, or petrol for.

Pump 6 - 5.00L @ £0.929 = £4.65
    VAT rate @17.5% £3.96 + £0.69 vat.

Sheeeeeeeeeeeet

Jonno

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast