Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: VAT question

JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    In VAT you have things which are exempt from VAT and things which have VAT at zero rate. So for both there is no VAT to pay.

What's the point of that.

2. Lounge   -   #2
    manker's Avatar effendi
    It's all to do with the claiming back of the VAT, rather than the paying of it.

You can claim back any VAT paid on the zero-rated items but, sadly, any VAT which you've paid on the exempt items is not reclaimable.

It's a subtle nuance which many miss.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

3. Lounge   -   #3
    brotherdoobie's Avatar Long live Hissyfit BT Rep: +1
    Mods,please move this post to the Drawing Room.
    Numbers hurt me head.

Peace bd

4. Lounge   -   #4
    enoughfakefiles's Avatar Ad ministrator
    I thought this was a thread about alchohol.

5. Lounge   -   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by manker

You can claim back any VAT paid on the zero-rated items but, sadly, any VAT which you've paid on the exempt items is not reclaimable.

And they said accountancy rodding was impossible.

You'll be telling me next that businesses can be partially exempt and that they can only reclaim their input tax based on a mixture of apportionment of the input tax between that which is directly related to taxable supplies and that which relates to exempt supplies and a residual amount, relating to both, which is then also apportioned, normally as a ratio between the taxable and exempt supplies.

6. Lounge   -   #6
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by JPaul

You'll be telling me next that businesses can be partially exempt and that they can only reclaim their input tax based on a mixture of apportionment of the input tax between that which is directly related to taxable supplies and that which relates to exempt supplies and a residual amount, relating to both, which is then also apportioned, normally as a ratio between the taxable and exempt supplies.
    You dare to defy the rod?!!?!??
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

7. Lounge   -   #7
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready

Well yes, that would be the next thing he might say.
    You saved him the effort.

Jolly good show.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

8. Lounge   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker

Well yes, that would be the next thing he might say.
    You saved him the effort.

Jolly good show.
    Pas de problem, it is a team game apres tout.

9. Lounge   -   #9
    manker's Avatar effendi

You make that sound really complicated when in fact, it's a piece of pish.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

10. Lounge   -   #10
    Jon L. Obscene's Avatar Canadain potatoes!!!
    Ok while you lot are talking paperwork, why would the IRS send me tax returns when I've been in employment for over 18 months?
    I filed my last one for self employment last year.
    They've also sent me a bill for NI from Jan to Apr of this year when I've been paying stamp obviously since I started employment.

I know I could phone them but their hard work

Jonno

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast