Thread: Zipped "setup.exe" files will not execute???

Hi guys:
    When I download a zipped program, and it only contains a setup.exe file, that file will not execute on my computer. I have downloaded many of them with Limewire, and it has gotten to the point that when I unzip, and find nothing more than a setup.exe file, I automaticly delete the file, because I know it will not execute.
    Are these files viruses, or jokes, or is there something wrong with my computer?
    Woody

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Santa's Avatar dvhyt5er
    they could be viruses
    or cracks depends
    how big are these setup.exes?
    does a command window popup?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    |F1|'s Avatar Forum Star
    If the setup.exe is like 30 kb for a copy of a new game, never open it.

Have you tried using adaware or an antivirus to see if it is anything bad?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    I used to get that a lot with klite.
    They were viruses.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by 100%
    they could be viruses
    or cracks depends
    how big are these setup.exes?
    does a command window popup?
    Hello ezdgjk:
    There is nothing unusual about the size of these "setup.exe" files, and they simply don't open. Nothing happens at all, except for a momentary flash of the hourglass icon, suggesting that an opening attempt is being made.
    If I download a zipped file which contains all the normal files which usually accompany a setup.exe file, the setup.exe file always opens and executes just fine...it's only the setup.exe files which have been zipped by themselves, which will not open.
    I don't think that attempting to open them is installing viruses, because a virus scan does not detect anything, and there is no obvious problem with my computer. I am just curious to know whether everyone experiences this same problem with file sharing, or is it a problem with my computer.
    What do you think?

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    They are viruses, get a decent anti virus, anti spyware and adware program and scan them now. Also drop that piece of shit Limewire for a better P2P program.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Goes Rawr!
    Yes virus most likey . Use this site to check that single file if not sure

http://www.virustotal.com/flash/virustotal_en.html

Will scan using a variety of different av's.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodeye View Post
    Hi guys:
    When I download a zipped program, and it only contains a setup.exe file, that file will not execute on my computer. I have downloaded many of them with Limewire, and it has gotten to the point that when I unzip, and find nothing more than a setup.exe file, I automaticly delete the file, because I know it will not execute.
    Are these files viruses, or jokes, or is there something wrong with my computer?
    Woody
    Hello Woddy, I do have the same problem. I check it out with a virus detector, its a worm. I would delete it in a heart beat. And do not download files from Limewire. Music is ok and other things. But not files!

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    Could be you have a great AV. It deletes nasties before you can open them. And leaves behind an empty setup.exe file.