Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 5,000 gallons of pure water an hour

manker's Avatar effendi
    Donating money to those in need is a very personal thing and people should not be judged nor made to feel inferior if they do not donate to a particular charity.

It is absolutely impossible to give even a penny per month of your income to each good cause around the globe - there are simply too many of them.

I set aside a pre-determined amount of my income each month and give to various charitable bodies, this amount is not inconsiderable and I take some time reviewing each cause that I donate to.

In this case, I am not giving any money at all since I do not believe it supersedes any of the other causes I currently donate to. The people affected are part of the richest country in the world and if no-one donated a penny, sufficient finds would still be available from their government. As I understand it, funds are not the problem - getting aid to the affected is the issue here.

That is not to say I don't feel for those affected, I do and hope that the situation is alleviated soon. My thoughts are with those who have lost loved ones.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #22
    JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    I will.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #23
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Quote Originally Posted by JPaul
    I will.
    But I haven't even bought your ring

Will what?
    Last edited by manker; 09-02-2005 at 11:15 AM. Reason: inserted innuendo
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #24
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    Today on the radio I heard the mayor of New Orleans. He said the federal government is lying to the american public. That the government isn't doing enough by far.

But belief what you want. Most of you think our pres is like John Wayne. He's more like Deputy Barney Fife.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #25
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Well they did get the oil flowing again , guess that was more important .

6. The Drawing Room   -   #26
    JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by manker
    Quote Originally Posted by JPaul
    I will.
    But I haven't even bought your ring

Will what?
    Sorry, replying to an earlier post, which basically said that people would give now then stop giving.

I have a similar policy to you. I have various direct debits to specific charities which Mrs JP and I like to support. This also makes it easier for them to claim back the tax which I have already paid on the money.

To those who don't know, in the UK if you make contributions to charitable organisations they can often reclaim the tax you paid on the money when you earned it. Provided you give them your authority to do this. This can lead to substantial increases in the amounts they receive. e.g if you are paying 25p tax for every £1 you earn, then they can get that 25p back from the Government. Increasing the donation by 25% (if there are any bank clerks watching this, it's a simplified version, please feel free to elaborate)

I also make ad-hoc donations. Like manker I do not intend making a donation to this cause. I apologise if this is insensitive, but I feel the money is needed more elsewhere. Funds do not appear to be the issue, which they very much are elsewhere.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #27
    BigBank_Hank's Avatar Move It On Over
    Quote Originally Posted by Peerzy
    Hundreds of people die each hour in Africa from the same things the people in the effected American areas are experiencing right now. However something tells me after you get sorted you won't be giving any money to them.
    That damn near made me fall out of my chair. You have no idea just how much money that the federal government sends to Africa every year. Not only money but also we send food and medical supplies. You are completely clueless as to what goes on outside of your little world.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #28
    Here's what the mayor of New Orleans has said.
    http://www.newsday.com/news/nationwo...tion-headlines

New Orleans Mayor Fumes Over Slow Reponse

By Associated Press

September 2, 2005, 8:18 AM EDT

NEW ORLEANS -- The mayor of New Orleans is seething over what he sees as the federal government's slow response to Hurricane Katrina.

Mayor Ray Nagin gave an interview to WWL Radio Thursday night and told listeners that he needs troops and hundreds of buses to get refugees out.

"They don't have a clue what's going on down there," Nagin said. "They flew down here one time two days after the doggone event was over with TV cameras, AP reporters, all kind of goddamn -- excuse my French everybody in America, but I am pissed."

Nagin accused state and federal officials of "playing games" and "spinning for the cameras." He says he keeps hearing that help is coming, but "there's no beef."

Congress is rushing through an aid package of more than $10 billion and the Pentagon is promising 1,400 National Guardsmen.
    Copyright 2005 Newsday Inc.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #29
    And here.
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...762200,00.html

September 02, 2005

Furious mayor shouts for stricken New Orleans
    By Sam Knight, Times Online

Mayor Ray C Nagin has emerged as the voice of New Orleans over the last week, first ordering the evacuation of the city in advance of Hurricane Katrina and now criticising the federal Government in a series of increasingly direct interviews.

NI_MPU('middle');Today, in an interview with CNN, Mr Nagin made his most succinct comments yet about the disaster that has plunged his city into ruin and anarchy and said: "Excuse my French everybody in America, but I am pissed."

Without pausing for thought, Mr Nagin, who was an unknown cable company executive when he ran for Mayor of New Orleans three years ago, weighed into President Bush and nearly every agency of the US federal Government.

"We authorised $8 billion to go to Iraq lickety-quick," he said. "After 9/11, we gave the President unprecedented powers lickety-quick to take care of New York and other places."

"Now, you mean to tell me that a place where most of your oil is coming through, a place that is so unique when you mention New Orleans anywhere around the world, everybody’s eyes light up -- you mean to tell me that a place where you probably have thousands of people that have died and thousands more that are dying every day, that we can’t figure out a way to authorise the resources that we need?

"Come on, man. You know, I’m not one of those drug addicts. I am thinking very clearly. And I don’t know whose problem it is. I don’t know whether it’s the governor’s problem. I don’t know whether it’s the President’s problem, but somebody need to get their ass on a plane and sit down, the two of them, and figure this out right now."

When asked what New Orleans needed now, Mr Nagin said:

"I need reinforcements, I need troops, man. I need 500 buses, man.... This is a national disaster. Get every doggone Greyhound busline in the country and get their asses moving to New Orleans. That’s -- they’re thinking small, man. And this is a major, major, major deal. And I can’t emphasise it enough, man. This is crazy."

Mr Nagin, who was voted to power in 2002 after promising to end years of cronyism and corruption in New Orleans, called on Americans to press their politicians into taking more vigorous action.

"Organise people to write letters and make calls to their congressmen, to the President, to the Governor. Flood their doggone offices with requests to do something. This is ridiculous," he said.

"I don’t want to see anybody do anymore goddamn press conferences. Put a moratorium on press conferences. Don’t do another press conference until the resources are in this city. And then come down to this city and stand with us when there are military trucks and troops that we can’t even count.

"Don’t tell me 40,000 people are coming here. They’re not here. It’s too doggone late. Now get off your asses and do something, and let’s fix the biggest goddamn crisis in the history of this country."

Mr Nagin caused a stir when he took over as Mayor of New Orleans when he threw open the records of city hall to the FBI and invited them to arrest officials for corruption. He then set about updating the city's accounts and technology and passed a range of measures and tax break attract new business to the city.

Although the murder rate in New Orleans has continued to rise under his mayoralty, Mr Nagin remains popular and with a reputation for getting things done. In one of his most celebrated initiatives, he eliminated 48,000 potholes that used to dog the city's terrible roads.

But none of that was on his mind this morning when, finally, spent, he finished his latest interview: "I’m at the point now where it don’t matter," he said. "People are dying. They don’t have homes. They don’t have jobs. The city of New Orleans will never be the same in this time."

10. The Drawing Room   -   #30
    DanB's Avatar Smoke weed everyday
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4208986.stm and here he admits it

President George Bush has conceded the initial response to Hurricane Katrina was "not acceptable" but has said every effort is being made to save lives.

Thousands of people remain stranded without food or water in New Orleans, where extra troops have been dispatched to quell lawlessness.

Fires are raging in the city after huge blasts apparently at a chemical plant.

Arriving in the area, Mr Bush said New Orleans would emerge from its "darkest days" but much work was to be done.

"My attitude is, if it's not going exactly right, we're going to make it go exactly right. If there's problems, then we'll address the problems," Mr Bush said.

The president, who is expected to go on to visit Mississippi and Louisiana - but not New Orleans itself - was briefed by emergency officials on landing in Mobile in Alabama.

He said: "The immediate priority is to save lives and get food and medicine to people so we can stabilise the situation."

Thousands are feared to have perished in the hurricane and floods, or while waiting for help.

The Senate has approved $10.5bn (£5.7bn) emergency aid, which the House of Representatives is expected to back within the next 24 hours.

But the head of the New Orleans emergency operations described the relief effort as a national disgrace.

And Mayor Ray Nagin has angrily denounced the level of outside help the city has received. "People are dying here," he said.

A large cloud of acrid, black smoke is drifting over New Orleans following Friday's blast along the Mississippi riverfront.

The incident in the already crippled city came after Louisiana's governor said 300 "battle-tested" National Guardsmen were being sent to quell the unrest.

"They have M-16s and are locked and loaded. These troops know how to shoot and kill and I expect they will," Kathleen Blanco said.

Washington pledged a further 4,200 guardsmen in coming days, and said that 3,000 army soldiers may also be sent to the city where violence has disrupted relief efforts.

The deployment came as thousands were finally taken from the Louisiana Superdome, where up to 20,000 have been corralled amid heat and squalor since Katrina struck.

The BBC's Matt Frei, in New Orleans, says conditions in the city's convention centre, where up to 20,000 more are stranded, are the most wretched he has seen anywhere, including crises in the Third World.

"You've got an entire nursing home evacuated five days ago - people in wheelchairs sitting there and slowly dying," he says.

The situation has been made worse by a lack of trust between the mainly poor, African-American population left behind in New Orleans and the predominately white police force, our correspondent adds.

Up to 60,000 people could still be stranded in the city, the US coastguard says.

Looting has swept the city as people made homeless by the flooding have grown increasingly desperate.

There have also been outbreaks of shootings and carjackings and reports of rapes.

The federal emergency agency was trying to work "under conditions of urban warfare", director Michael Brown said.

The muddy floodwaters are now toxic with fuel, battery acid, rubbish and raw sewage.

'Blame game'

Residents have expressed growing anger and frustration with the disorder on the streets and with the slow speed of relief efforts.

Governor Blanco told ABC she had "no idea" how many people had died, when asked about fatalities because of the inadequacy of the response.

"We're not into the blame game... I've been trying to save lives," she said.

The federal emergency management association has asked for patience, saying it will take time to reach people, given the magnitude of the disaster.

According to the White House, about 90,000 sq miles (234,000 sq km) has been affected by the hurricane.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast