Your Ad Here Your Ad Here

View Poll Results: What should we do in repeat natural disaster areas?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Relocate population and use area for farming etc.

    11 37.93%
  • Rebuild and wait for the next big one and start again.

    4 13.79%
  • Leave it up to the population, and help them get started again.

    9 31.03%
  • Leave it up to the population and make them foot the bill for staying.

    5 17.24%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 32

Thread: New Orleans- restoration or relocation?

  1. #1
    I am curious what people think the future response to this disaster should be. I am talking about after everyone is removed to safety and we can begin to focus on what to do next.

    After the last several hurricane seasons I have thought about this and when the last one came that threatened to wipe out New Orleans I think I finally decided.

    To me it seems irresponsible to take all of the money to re-build and invest it in an area that is likely to sustain massive damage or potentialy be wiped out again. I think this about certain areas of Florida and California as well, so I am not trying to pick on New Orleans

    Give me your ideas on this.

    Please keep it civil as this is not meant to start any fights, I am just curious if I am alone in this and what the average person thinks aside from me

    TD

    EDIT: I am not proposing the massive relocation of people in other areas before the fact, just what should we do in the future when these things happen again.
    Last edited by tracydani; 09-02-2005 at 07:10 AM.
    Peace of mind Findnot

    No time to work out? Try Folding instead.

  2. Lounge   -   #2
    Move, even if a hurricane only comes along every few hundred years it means that every few hundreds of years thousands die and hundreds of thousands lose everything.

    Either that or spend some money on building up a real protection that could realistically protect the city from a level 5 hurricane.

    Also bringing hundreds of thousands of troops back from a certain middle eastern country to help with the rescue opperation might help.


  3. Lounge   -   #3
    whypikonme's Avatar Unemployable
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    235
    Fill the whole place up, twenty feet deep, and start all over again.
    Sig Removed...too clever

  4. Lounge   -   #4
    Santa's Avatar dvhyt5er
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    1
    Posts
    2,128
    its not as simple as that
    people own parts of that land

  5. Lounge   -   #5
    ziggyjuarez's Avatar Poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Age
    28
    Posts
    25,160
    Quote Originally Posted by 100%
    its not as simple as that
    people own parts of that land
    martial law is in effect

  6. Lounge   -   #6
    cpt_azad's Avatar Colonel
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Surrey, BC
    Posts
    6,741
    Quote Originally Posted by whypikonme
    Fill the whole place up, twenty feet deep, and start all over again.
    That is pretty damn silly if you ask me. It could easily turn into a large quagmire.

    They should def. consider relocation.

    Jeff Loomis: He's so good, he doesn't need to be dead to have a tribute.

  7. Lounge   -   #7
    Meaning Americans finally get to go and shot anything they want. This must be the happest day in their lives for 90% of America (the other 10% being the ones who have lost everything and are being shot at)


  8. Lounge   -   #8
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    is everything.
    Age
    40
    Posts
    19,023
    Quote Originally Posted by Peerzy
    Meaning Americans finally get to go and shot anything they want. This must be the happest day in their lives for 90% of America (the other 10% being the ones who have lost everything and are being shot at)
    Let us hope they are more discerning than the Yahoo news reporters...http://www.filesharingtalk.com/vb3/t101384.html

  9. Lounge   -   #9
    whypikonme's Avatar Unemployable
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    235
    Quote Originally Posted by cpt_azad
    They should def. consider relocation.
    That sounds pretty darn silly to me.
    Sig Removed...too clever

  10. Lounge   -   #10
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Over here!
    Posts
    19,631
    Having water everywhere works for Venice, so why not turn it into an American Venice?

    Think of how pretty all those canals would be, better than before, and all the extra tourism would be welcome I'd guess... (Hardly anyone would go to Venice if it wasn't for all the water)...

    Just bring in a few gondola's and some ice-cream, all that jazz playing and gondola's drifting about would go together well I think..

    It's perfect. Everyone's a winner. All the extra tourism revenue could go towards maintaining the waterways and giving everyone their own personal dinghy.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •