Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Power Supply -5v reading 3.5v????

JunkBarMan's Avatar Milk Sucks,Got Beer?
    Just had my generic power supply take a poopoo on me, so I decided to upgrade to a name brand with some more power. I went out and got the Thermaltake Purepower TWV 500w.

After installing this new supply everything booted up fine, except my Abit EQ(hardware temp monitoring program) pops up beeping its a$$ off about the -5v reading something like 3.5v.

Here are my specs:

Athlon XP 2500 Barton OC'ed to 3200+
    Abit NF7 Mobo
    Corsair XMS DDR 400 1GB(2x512mb)
    ATI 9800 Pro
    Dvd rom/ CD rw combo drive
    120 gb WD HD

I only have 3 80mm fans running on this thing(4 if you include the cpu fan), so as you can see this baby should handle this system like it was nothing.

Ok, how worried do I need to be? Should I take this supply back? Do I have something overloaded?

I have looked all over and can't seem to find what -5v is for exactly.
    Last edited by JunkBarMan; 09-02-2005 at 05:17 PM.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    lynx's Avatar .
    In all probability you have nothing which uses -5V, but that's not the point. If it is out of spec then something is wrong, which implies something else may be wrong too.

I assume you monitored your previous PSU and didn't have this problem, so either this one is faulty, or when your old PSU failed it damaged something on your mobo. Check it with a multimeter if you can. If not, see if you can borrow another PSU for a short while, if that gives the same problem then your mobo is suspect, otherwise it is the PSU.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    The software could be reporting it wrong.

What does it say in the BIOS?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    The software WAS reporting it wrong.

Checked the bios and the -5v read: -61.99v.

This is the only one that is out of normal acceptable limits, as all the others are within .1-.2 volts.

I am going to try another smaller supply I have laying around and see what that one reads upon boot, and then I'll have my answer.

Thanks for the help guys, if you have any other ideas please post them.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    abu_has_the_power's Avatar I have cool stars
    that's really weird for ur bios to show something that off. how long have u had ur psu? from my experience, thermatake's psu's are very durable. i've had my xaser III 480W psu for almost 2 years now. my voltages are still perfect (voltages exceed what it's supposed to be by about 0.05 to 0.1V)

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    @Abu: Yeah, that's exactly what I was thinking when I read that in my bios.

Ok, I hooked up a power supply I had from a case I bought awhile ago.

This supply was a Raidmax 350w, and everything booted up fine and the -5v was reading like -5.25v, according to the bios.

So, unless anyone has any other suggestions, I am going to take my new one back and exchange it.
    Last edited by JunkBarMan; 09-04-2005 at 05:27 AM.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    if u can exchange it for a brand new one, give it a go. but if the readings are that far off, it might not really mean ur psu is busted.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    lynx's Avatar .
    Original PSU = no problem.
    Raidmax PSU = no problem.
    Thermaltake PSU = voltage alarm.

Conclusion - Thermaltake PSU is faulty.

According to Abu's logic, you can expect the Thermaltake PSU to be just as faulty in 2 years time. Aren't you lucky.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by lynx
    Original PSU = no problem.
    Raidmax PSU = no problem.
    Thermaltake PSU = voltage alarm.

Conclusion - Thermaltake PSU is faulty.

According to Abu's logic, you can expect the Thermaltake PSU to be just as faulty in 2 years time. Aren't you lucky.

my logic is that sometimes bizarre and off-the-charts readings doesn't always mean the psu is busted. it could just be a software compatibility problem with that psu or something like that.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    @ Abu: So you are saying my Bios, which is Phoenix - AwardBios (the latest version), might not be compatable with this Thermaltake psu?

From what you posted, it seems that you are basing all your information on the fact that your Xaser hasn't failed you for over 2years.

That assumption is a fallacy of composition if you ask me.

I am still running on my raidmax 350w at this moment, about a $20 psu and really not sure what to do next. I will be taking this Thermaltake back, but at over $100 do I want to exchange it for another or go with another brand?

I plan on upgrading my whole system in the very near future and this model Thermaltake would be compatable with my new system's features, i.e. power cables for SATA and PCI express. It was ATX 12v 2.0 as well.

What are some other brands with good reputations in the area of psu's that include modularized cables?
    Last edited by JunkBarMan; 09-04-2005 at 07:12 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast