Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Nvidia Drivers

i've tried using system restore a couple of times, however it won't allow me to restore the system back to an earlier point. i have no idea why, but when i try to restore, xp goes through the process, however when the system restarts, an error message comes up saying the system could not be restored.
    i downloaded those drivers from the russian site, corner pocket, however the same problem persists. they kid me on they're installing, but they don't actually install.
    i'm sorry to be such a problem to you guys, i think i may just have to reinstall xp after all. thanks for all your help

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    Rocktron's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by amphoteric88@15 April 2003 - 15:21
    i've tried using system restore a couple of times, however it won't allow me to restore the system back to an earlier point. i have no idea why, but when i try to restore, xp goes through the process, however when the system restarts, an error message comes up saying the system could not be restored.
    i downloaded those drivers from the russian site, corner pocket, however the same problem persists. they kid me on they're installing, but they don't actually install.
    i'm sorry to be such a problem to you guys, i think i may just have to reinstall xp after all. thanks for all your help
    I just think it's indeed time for the unavoidable... a Format c: and a fresh install. Solves all the problems.
    From scratch!

And don't apologize to any of us.. we are here to help if we can. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't!

Good luck with your new installation!

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    CornerPocket's Avatar Retired
    Right Click on Desktop> go to Properties> Settings> near the bottom, what appears under the word 'Display'? Should say something like: plug-n-play monitor on xxxxxx xxxxx (xxx referring to video card). If nothing, then perhaps you should try the following:
    1. Use the Nasty File Remover (NFR) provided by phalkon30 - remove all files it finds regardless of it being for the display or mobo chipset, it may very well be the issue.
    2. Install the video drivers you want to use
    3. Close XP and shut down pc.
    4. Remove video card and reseat in the agp slot.
    5. Reboot and see what the system finds and allow to install drivers found.

Try this before resorting to the last thing and thats reformat and starting all over.
    "8-ball Corner Pocket"

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    when i go to properties and settings, it shows "(Default Monitor) on"
    i fear this is the problem. maybe the problem lies in xp not detecting my monitor correctly, rather than my graphics card. is this possible?
    when i tried using nfr and deleting the files, it wouldn't let me delete the files that appeared.
    i tried reseating the video card, but no prompts came up after the restart and xp didn't detect any new hardware.
    i'm still getting the problem in the add hardware wizard that it does not list my graphics card in the add display adaptors wizard. the only listed video cards are by ati, there are no nvidia ones listed

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Poster
    I doubt its your monitor

NFR says it has not deleted the files, but check the recycle bin (or wherever you sent them), I bet you the files will be there, if you do it in safe mode anyway...

Did your card come with a factory disk? I'd try reinstalling from the cd that came with the card, see if it allows you to do that, I know ASUS does some extra things with their cards

One other thing, the reason you don't see nvidia drivers could be because you've deleted them with NFR (again, I think in translation to english, it lies to you)

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    i went back into safe mode and did another scan with nfr. this time it found a windows 2000 driver version 28.84 dll file. i deleted it completely, but it still wouldn't let me install the drivers.
    when i went into device manager, there was a yellow exclamation mark beside NVIDIA nForce2 AGP Host to PCI Bridge
    does this mean anything to anyone and could this be the problem?
    also, this probably means nothing, but when i go to shutdown in xp, the "standby" option is not available. as i said, this is probably nothing, but it's little details like these that experts can identify

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    I had the same problem, got it sorted by 'add new hardware' then let windows find a suitable driver online, once installed you can then upgrade, good luck.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    Poster
    Well, yes, you need that driver, its what tells the rest of your motherboard what the video card is doing, if you can find the driver file on your factory cd, then you should be ok, just use the add new hardware function like davinda said

I'm starting to think there is some miscomunication here, it sounds like you have drivers for your video card, but not your agp chipset

Also, the Detonator drivers are more than just drivers, they are utilitys, and I think the utilitys are still there, and keeping you from installing something new

So, right click on your desktop, then go to settings, then advanced, now there should be a 6th tab with the name of your video card, under this tab should be a bunch of options, if you have this, then installing detonator drivers will not do anything, as the AGP driver is completely separate

Are you actually having problems running programs or games? or is it just installing new drivers, you may be stuck with these drivers

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    Ok, the problem is now solved (woohoo&#33. However, it wasn't exactly quick and painless. firstly, i had to try repairing xp. this fixed the display problem, but the modem didn't work. i was getting an error saying the internet signup file was corrupted. so i took it to my local computer shop, who just said to format and reinstall. so i just gave in and formatted it. this was the first time i ever formatted or installed an operating system from scratch and was impressed at just how easy it was. now, there are no problems with any of my hardware, and i am slightly more happy then i was.
    the only problem now is trying to reinstall all the software and media i backed up. this could take a long time...

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    Poster
    Yeah, I was getting ready to tell you a reformat was in order, but thats a last resort type thing, oh well, its working

Reformating isn't as bad as it sounds, but you've found the worst part, reinstalling all the software, I hope you made backups!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast