Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Soccer World rankings

peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    How do the powers that be rate countries ? I see the Usa and Mexico ranked pretty high , seems like BS to me .

http://146.145.120.3/default.asp?c=t...OCCER-POLL.htm

2. Sports Club   -   #2
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Since America and Mexico are in the CONCACAF world qualifying group, they get games against easier opposition than European, or S. American, countries. Therefore they win more and get more ranking points.

You do get more ranking points if you beat a team like France or the Netherlands but the system is flawed because you can only get points by beating or drawing against a team - if you play a high standard of opposition all of the time, you're much more likely not to win or draw many matches.

You're right, the system is pretty much BS - for example, there is no way in the world that USA have a better team than England.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

3. Sports Club   -   #3
    Thats what I thought manker, because the Canadian team is ranked very low but gives both those teams a run for their money . They should think up a better system mabey ,but the American's probably use to their advantage in funding for example . Which In my mind is fine to build up the sport .

4. Sports Club   -   #4
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Canada are in the CONCACAF too. Their ranking is properly comparable to that of the USA and Mexico.

I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

5. Sports Club   -   #5
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    That one is out of date. Here is a more up to date one: http://www.soccerphile.com/soccerphile/news/fifa.html

1 Brazil
    2 Argentina
    3 Netherlands
    4 Czech Republic
    5 Mexico
    6 USA
    7 England
    8 Spain
    9 France
    9 Portugal

11 Germany
    12 Turkey
    13 Italy
    14 Republic of Ireland
    15 Iran
    15 Sweden
    17 Japan
    18 Greece
    18 Denmark
    20 Croatia

21 Costa Rica
    22 Poland
    23 Korea Republic
    24 Colombia
    25 Uruguay
    26 Egypt
    27 Saudi Arabia
    28 Cameroon
    29 Russia
    30 Nigeria

31 Tunisia
    31 Romania
    33 Ecuador
    34 Morocco
    35 Paraguay
    36 Norway
    36 Ukraine
    38 South Africa
    39 Honduras
    40 Senegal

6. Sports Club   -   #6
    Thanks withcheese, I guess that makes sense why Costa Rica and Honduras are rated higher than say Scotland , because their in the same CONCACAF div.

7. Sports Club   -   #7
    The top 4 are fine, Brazil & Argentina will always be in the top 5 or so because they are such large countries and produce so many footballers that sooner or later they'll get a good one.

Both the Netherlands and Czech Republic are having a good run in football terms, they are produced some good players over the past 5-10 years and have yet more comin through. Tomas Rosicky for the Czech is a great player and as he's young im sure he'll get much better. They also have one of the best keepers in the world with Petr Cech and Nedved (although he's getting a bit older now) and for some reason Milan Baros is always on fire for his nation but looks like shyte for Liverpool, i wonder if it was just Liverpool now that he's moved to Villa.

Holland have RVN who's a great finisher, Robben who's one of the best up and coming players in the world and Van Der Sar is still a pretty good keeper, but again he's getting old.

After the top 4 it starts getting all fucked. I think Spain and France should be able England and Mexico after us and USA like 20th.
    Last edited by Peerzy; 09-05-2005 at 08:15 AM.

8. Sports Club   -   #8
    Retired
    nr.3

we haven't lost a game since the EC 2004

France isnt that good anymore. I think they won't qualify for WC 2006

Code:
    1 	Brazil 	    	837 	
    2 	Argentina 	782 	
    3 	Netherlands 	780 	
    4 	Czech Republic  777 	
    5 	Mexico 	    	770 	
    6 	USA 	    	768 	
    7 	England 	743 	
    8 	Spain 	    	739 	
    9 	France 	    	737 	
    9 	Portugal 	737
    2,3 and 4 are really close in points.

if we win next wednesday I think we will be second. (dunno how often fifa updates their ranking)
    Last edited by {I}{K}{E}; 09-05-2005 at 08:49 AM.

9. Sports Club   -   #9
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by {I}{K}{E}

France isnt that good anymore. I think they won't qualified for WC 2006
    I agree, I just wrote out a post about it but then my PC died

Holland seem to be doing good though, maybe they're finally worthy of joining the World Cup Winners Club

10. Sports Club   -   #10
    If you look at France's group they have played 2 less games, if they win both of thier games they will be joint top of the group.

Mackelele & Zidane have also just come out of international retirement to help out. Although they arn't the force they once were i still think they'd give England a beating. Most of their big players are getting old. Vieri, Mackelele, Pires & Zidane are all 30+ (Well i think Vieri is just 30)

Hnery is still great but France have never had an amazing second striker to back him up. I would quite like to see Holland win teh world cup, with Robben scoring a hatrick in the final 5 minutes to beat Brazil 3-2 ofcourse

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast