Thread: Downloading?

Ok i live in canada and i as wondering if its still legal right now to download i know its illegal to upload. Also i was wondering if its not legal to download what are the safest ways of downloading music through irc or newsgroups??? And can u please tell me why and if possible provide links to back up your response i have searched through many pages of google and have yet to find a santisfactory understanding. I know this is has been asked many times but this is a new uptodate version of this question thanks alot and if its ijn the wrong place plz move the post into the right place.

Thanks alot despikable, and as always stay safe

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    manker's Avatar effendi
    It's legal to download music, if you pay for it from a registered interweb trader. To download copyrighted music from anywhere else is illegal.

It's never been legal.

However, don't worry too much about it.

Here is a link to back up my response. It's a place where loads of people talk about it and post guides on the best and safest methods.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    Hmmm...... I wouldn't trust anything from a site like that. Seams a bit shady to me.
    Peace of mind Findnot

No time to work out? Try Folding instead.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    ok thanx for the quick response also i am wondering why people say im gonna use ir or im gonna use newsgroups because then i wont get sued. I was wondering whats up with this?

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Quote Originally Posted by despikable
    ok thanx for the quick response also i am wondering why people say im gonna use ir or im gonna use newsgroups because then i wont get sued. I was wondering whats up with this?
    They're probably people who listen to hype spread by big corporations and panic easily.

It's highly unlikely that you'll get sued. I've heard of people getting letters from their ISPs warning them to stop downloading but never, on this site, has anyone wrote that they've got sued because they downloaded copyrighted material.

Newsgroups and IRC are slightly safer than, for example, a client like Bit-torrent but to put it in simple terms, you're more likely to get hit by a bus than get sued by the RIAA.
    Last edited by manker; 09-05-2005 at 05:25 PM.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by manker

Newsgroups and IRC are slightly safer than, for example, a client like Bit-torrent but to put it in simple terms, you're more likely to get hit by a bus than get sued by the RIAA.
    I got hit by a bus wing-mirror once so that must mean I'm pretty much safe from teh RIAA.
    Last edited by Withcheese; 09-05-2005 at 11:11 PM.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    Newsgroups and IRC are a lot safer.

IRC because it's impossible to see what user is downloading from what BOT without becoming a BOT and offering copywrite media yourself which would be entrapment.

Newsgroups again is hard, mainly because you cannot see who downloads anything. Tracing the uploaders is hard as well as most post using ANON accounts that can't be easly traced.

Bittorent is in theory very easy to get caught, all someone has to do is jump on the torrent and they can see all the people downloading and all the people uploading. Same kinda idea with Kazaa, you could click download a file and you would see the uploaders IP.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    Gripper's Avatar Dexter's Apprentice.
    Don't programs like peerguardian stop people from tracking you on torrents

All spelling mistakes and grammatical errors in my post's are intentional.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    lynx's Avatar .
    Quote Originally Posted by gripper103.2
    Don't programs like peerguardian stop people from tracking you on torrents
    No.

In order for you to download or for others to upload they must see your IP address, unless you find a very generous proxy server.

Peerguardian and the like block connections from addresses which are known to belong to Music/Movie industry, Government Agencies etc. They can't possibly help if random unknown addresses are used.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    lynx's Avatar .
    Quote Originally Posted by Withcheese
    Quote Originally Posted by manker

I got hit by a bus wing-mirror once so that must mean I'm pretty much safe from teh RIAA.
    No, it means you need a white stick and a guide dog.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.