Thread: Computer

Tormentor's Avatar Searching The People
    I was wondering if it is better for your pc to run constantly.Is this true?
    If it is, does leaving yor pc running run up your elecrtic bill?
    - Unleash The Power Of The Wii, Unlock It Today!
    http://www.castabet.net

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    I leave my computer on and I havn't seen much of a difference in the electric bill. also, I don't know for sure, but I think you should restart your computer periodicly to clear the virual and paging memory. cause the longer your computer is on the more it puts in the v and p memory and will slow your computer down.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    kAb's Avatar Poster
    why would turning it off be bad for it?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Poster
    Originally posted by dj7295@13 April 2003 - 20:01
    I leave my computer on and I havn't seen much of a difference in the electric bill. also, I don't know for sure, but I think you should restart your computer periodicly to clear the virual and paging memory. cause the longer your computer is on the more it puts in the v and p memory and will slow your computer down.
    In XP it really doesn't matter anymore, I've run for a few weeks without a reboot, and experienced no performance loss, I'm not running any optomizing tools and use my computer very heavily, but for 9x/ME systems, yeah, you should restart at least daily

Turning it on and off a lot *could* hurt it, or certain components, but thats true of basicly any electronic device, the shock of turning it on and off again *could* over a long period of time do damage

You will notice some raise in electrical bill, but if you make your computer go into sleep mode when you don't use it, and turn off your monitor/any other devices, it shouldn't hurt too much for power

On the other hand, running components for long periods of time *could* be damaging, motors can wear out, hard drives can flake out, dust can overheat things, etc, but that usually takes a long time, and is sorta rare

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Poster
    Take a look HERE.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Tormentor's Avatar Searching The People
    Thanks curley
    - Unleash The Power Of The Wii, Unlock It Today!
    http://www.castabet.net

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    of course there is change in the ELECTIC BILL lolz...

i leave mine on, on saturdays and sundays..... from like 8am - 10pm.... other days itz on when i get back from school like at 4 - 5pm to 10pm....

i've been running a p1 100mhz and its still not dead! brought it in 1996

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    harrycary's Avatar Poster
    Frankly it's a no brainer.

The PC itself draws very little current(look at how many amps your power supply draws).
    In reality a (CRT) monitor wastes more power due to current requirements. A CRT requires very high voltage. I turn mine off when leaving my computer on overnight and when I'm gone. This doesn't apply to LCD monitors though since they draw very little current.

Any computer savvy individual knows that rebooting a PC is good because it's a simple way to free up resources. Windows XP runs better and boots faster as it "learns" which programs you use most(unlike other versions of Windows).

Although temperature changes and voltage "surges" occur when powering up a PC, the chances of damaging anything are very very slim. The power supply itself would fail before anything on the motherboard would. Also, when something is powered on during an electrical storm you're at greater risk from a power surge.

Mechanical and electromechanical wear and tear is a valid point though.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Poster
    Originally posted by andrewlamb098@14 April 2003 - 15:12
    Thanks curley
    Your welcome.... have a lager