Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: help with building a computer

ApacNTS's Avatar Helljumper
    settles that then, thanks.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #52
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by ApacNTS
    let me ask you, do you think it's necessary to have a heat spreader on a stick of ram for gaming? or would it be fine without it?
    Gskill, makers of some of the highest performing RAM available, do not use heatspreaders at all.
    I have seen screenshots of bare sticks clocked to DDR690 speeds.

Must mean something.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. Software & Hardware   -   #53
    well that's good to hear. after awhile i began to think that everything needed some type of cooling.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #54
    with 95% of my system picked out i thought i'd ask for impressions or if i simply missed something. i tried my best to stay within my budget, at the same time not bottleneck my pc to hell.

CPU
    RAM
    MOBO
    CDROM
    Case
    HardDrive

lack of a video card because theres no money for it, and i cant decide what to go with. primarily i'd like a card around $100-$120, at the same time, i'd like it to run games like World of Warcraft, F.E.A.R., CS:Source, Battlefield 2 decently, by no means do i expect to marvel at them, but medium settings would be nice, also i never go above 1024x768. suggestions are welcome, i'd love a 6800gt, heard the 9800xt had problems, it was cut off the list, 6600 looked promising then i saw it was rather slow and feared it.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #55
    lynx's Avatar .
    You would be better advised getting a PCI-Express motherboard and matching graphics card. The mobo will probably be slightly more, the graphics card slightly less than its AGP equivalent so it balances out.

Here's one which is only $4.50 more
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813186052

The other thing is that all these boards are capable of handling dual channel memory (actaully, it it built in to the CPU). If you don't intend getting more memory later it is probably a better idea to get 2x256MB rather than a single 512MB stick.

Personally, I'd get a DVD writer rather than a CDRom drive, but at the very least you should spend another $5 and get a CD writer.

Everyone is going to say things about that case. Probably not a lot wrong with the case itself, but you should remember that at that price they are virtually giving the PSU away. If it is almost free you can't expect any quality, and there won't be. It almost certainly only has a 20-pin mobo connector too. Better to get a cheaper case without a PSU and buy a decent (24-pin) PSU separately, rather than risk the rest of your investment on such a cheap component.

Still, your choice of HDD and CPU are fine.

The 6600 may have been described as slow, but compared to what? And which model? The 6600GT is fine.
    Last edited by lynx; 10-14-2005 at 01:01 AM.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #56
    about the cdrom, see i have another computer that has a cdrw drive already in it. since someone else built it i dont have w/e cd came with it, so im not sure if i need drivers off it or what. is it possible to use that drive, will winxp have drivers to run the burner? if so that'd help tremendously.

edit: forgot to mention it's an LG model cd burner.
    Last edited by ApacNTS; 10-14-2005 at 10:24 PM.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #57
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by ApacNTS
    will winxp have drivers to run the burner? if so that'd help tremendously.
    Yes, it will.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

8. Software & Hardware   -   #58
    saves me 20 bucks . thanks.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #59
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    Yesterday 08:53 PM
    lynx

"Better to get a cheaper case without a PSU and buy a decent (24-pin) PSU separately, rather than risk the rest of your investment on such a cheap component."

Correct, Antec, Enermax, Vantec, PC Power & Cooling & a couple (literally) more brands. Or you're throwing your money away.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #60
    finding a "cheap" case is part of the problem im facing now. my main worry with the case is the temp. i really fear im gonna get my system put together go to game and it melt to hell.

looking for 2 fans the price is decent, but the cases are horrible looking. the best case i found which is about $61 w/shipping, the CoolerMaster, 1 80mm 1 120mm fan. still i fear overheating. price is steaper than i originally thought, good deal i know, but budget is tight, then add $20-$30 for psu.

saddest part is, only 95% of the computer will be built by the end of october if im lucky, the graphics card will be another 2 months out

cost effective version was around $490 with everything. easier said then done.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast