Thread: Games randomly crash for no apparent reason...

Tormentor's Avatar Searching The People
    WTF! whenever im playing a game(Any game) it crashes at some point and i loose the signal to my monitor, the system dosnt shut off my monitor just goes blank and the led turns amber like it is when the computer is off. Temps are in the low 40's when this happens so it aint a problem. Also tried every driver out there for my video card, and reinstalled mobo drivers countless off times, but nothin seems to work....

Specs

AMD 1800+
    MSI KT6V
    512 samsung 2700
    256 9600xt
    - Unleash The Power Of The Wii, Unlock It Today!
    http://www.castabet.net

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    abu_has_the_power's Avatar I have cool stars
    yep. i occasionally get this too. what kind of monitor do u have? for me, it happens very rarely when i start up the computer, and by rarely i mean hardly. i have a 19" lcd

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by Tormentor
    WTF! whenever im playing a game(Any game) it crashes at some point and i loose the signal to my monitor, the system dosnt shut off my monitor just goes blank and the led turns amber like it is when the computer is off...
    And then what?
    Does the PC restart itself or do you manually shut it down?
    After you get up and running is there anything in the Event Log?
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    it wont matter what monitor you have, the monitor has no effect on how the games work, only how they are viewed, it sounds like its just powering down the monitor because the computer is trying to play a intro video that cant find the correct codec or just corrupt files that will cause this problem, making sure you have all the codecs installed would fix that, or it could just be corrupt files, my system has a similar problem which is caused by the nvidia atkdisp.dll, it could be a similar ATI driver problem, I would just try a fresh reinstall which usually fixes these problems

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    lynx's Avatar .
    I suspect that you've got power-saving configured, and that for some reason your system isn't indicating that you are using the pc.

If you've got power-saving configured in the bios, turn it off, you don't need it.

You don't say what input devices you use for the game. If you are using a joystick and power-saving only monitors keyboard and mouse (I'm not saying it does, just speculating) that too could be the problem.

At any rate, if you turn power-saving off and the problem goes away, you at least know the cause.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    GepperRankins's Avatar we want your oil!
    try going into your bios and turning fastwrite off and AGP speed to 4.

also get the latest drivers and make "VPU recover" is on, this should make games crash to desktop or lock up temporarily rather than you having to reset your PC. try fiddling around with fastwrite and AGP until you find soemthing that works.

this really pisses me off. ATI know about this problem but it seems that if it's not tweaking drivers to get a few frames over nvidia on top systems for toms hardware they don't give a shit about aftersale support.

could someone who knows about hardware politics tell me if i'm being irrational

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    shift
    Well, don't expect any solution from me, I'm having exactly the same problem Tormentor has since I have another card with the same chipset (an ASUS Extreme AX600XT). That's more than a year now... Call me Gandhi for my patience and understanding

I'm going to try GepperRankins's advice, but, anyway, I already suffered some graphic corruptions in the same vga that forced me to tweak the PEGlink mode (that didn't worked anyway) and, ultimately, I had to change the damn thing for a new one (hopefully I was still on guarantee period).

Man, this was the first ATI chipset based vga that I've ever bought and it'll be surely the last. If you want an advice, take this: go buy anything else.

The only thing that still sticks me to this vga is my actual low budget

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Tormentor's Avatar Searching The People
    Quote Originally Posted by lynx
    I suspect that you've got power-saving configured, and that for some reason your system isn't indicating that you are using the pc.

If you've got power-saving configured in the bios, turn it off, you don't need it.

You don't say what input devices you use for the game. If you are using a joystick and power-saving only monitors keyboard and mouse (I'm not saying it does, just speculating) that too could be the problem.

At any rate, if you turn power-saving off and the problem goes away, you at least know the cause.
    woo, forgot about this thread, i think that was the problem, it only happened in games that i only used the joystick like fs2004, thanks for the reply. before i thought the problem just went away and was just waiting to come back....
    - Unleash The Power Of The Wii, Unlock It Today!
    http://www.castabet.net