Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Bush's immigration policy

j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by Rat Faced
    Thats coz there was absolutely nothing to say...

There was no process of naturalization at the time it was said... and it also didn't state that they had to become American Citizens anywhere in the statement i read at school.

If you move the goalposts, thats your problem
    Moved the goalposts?

Our naturalization process predates the Mexican flood, I think you'll find, provided you avoid the text you claim to have read in school.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

2. The Drawing Room   -   #32
    Poster
    I have been reading where this policy negates our naturalization process. So is that what you think, j2?

3. The Drawing Room   -   #33
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Quote Originally Posted by Helghast004

What I dont agree with is making spanish the second official language of the US
    Is there an official language of the United States then?
    Last edited by vidcc; 09-22-2005 at 12:15 AM.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #34
    Quote Originally Posted by Everose
    I have been reading where this policy negates our naturalization process. So is that what you think, j2?
    I don't like the policy in practice, so much so that I cannot claim to have read it.

I have heard, though, that it gives short shrift to what was previously known as naturalization.

This "guest-worker" feature has the effect of summarily ending any need to ever "naturalize" any immigrant, ever again, which (nobody seems to have reached this surmise) also means that "immigrant" is soon to be just another obsolete term.

I heartily recommend the Administration further catagorize the "policy" to accomodate guest-criminals, with a sub-catagory: guest-terrorists.

There will no doubt be additional classifications as the various special interests (here, as well as in Mexico) weigh in on the matter.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

5. The Drawing Room   -   #35
    Poster
    Eh, I live in south Texas and it still feels like im in the US...~looks again~ Yeah Im still here.

Are you still there, Helghast004, or have you evacuated?

In other words, I dont think we have to worry about the US turning into Mexico numero dos anytime soon.

What I dont agree with is making spanish the second official language of the US and just letting in all the Illegal Immigrants walk in as they please.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #36
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    J2.
    Surely there is a background check system supposed to be applied. One would hope a bit more involved than for a tourist even if not as detailed as a permanent or naturalised resident.
    If you think the checks are sufficient or not is another matter.

Being realistic it seems to me that we could never eliminate illegal immigration and we do have certain industries that rely on the cheap workers so as a compromise and a means of reducing undocumented residents I can't oppose the idea totally. Plus they will be paying tax.

The idea has merits, time will tell if it works.
    Last edited by vidcc; 09-22-2005 at 02:19 AM.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #37
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc
    J2.
    Surely there is a background check system supposed to be applied. One would hope a bit more involved than for a tourist even if not as detailed as a permanent or naturalised resident.

Being realistic it seems to me that we could never eliminate illegal immigration and we do have certain industries that rely on the cheap workers so as a compromise and a means of reducing undocumented residents I can't oppose the idea totally. Plus they will be paying tax.

A "background check"?

That's hilarious.

We can't even begin to manage to naturalize these interlopers, yet we're going to do "background checks"?

By what miracle is this to be accomplished?

We could "eliminate" illegal immigration in a heartbeat by accomodating the laws that have to do with entering the country rather than ignoring them altogether; I would bet we could reduce it to statistically zero merely by cracking down.

Your (and Bush's) entire scenario presupposes a level of cooperation on the part of the transient Mexican (and his/her government) that will never be achieved via any amnesty program, I can assure you.

-Mark Twain

8. The Drawing Room   -   #38
    Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4
    J2.

A "background check"?

That's hilarious.

We can't even begin to manage to naturalize these interlopers, yet we're going to do "background checks"?

We could "eliminate" illegal immigration in a heartbeat by accomodating the laws that have to do with entering the country rather than ignoring them altogether; I would bet we could reduce it to statistically zero merely by cracking down.

Why do you think we have not 'cracked down' on the borders?

Your (and Bush's) entire scenario presupposes a level of cooperation on the part of the transient Mexican (and his/her government) that will never be achieved via any amnesty program, I can assure you.
    I think that has basically already been achieved. Except, of course, for their protection. But then I suppose it isn't that hard for them to get guns, either. ;-)

9. The Drawing Room   -   #39
    Quote Originally Posted by Everose
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4

A "background check"?

That's hilarious.

Why do you think we have not 'cracked down' on the borders?

I think that has basically already been achieved. Except, of course, for their protection. But then I suppose it isn't that hard for them to get guns, either. ;-)
    Just so.

It seems I've started a fire hereabout.

I can never remember to bring the hotdogs...

-Mark Twain

10. The Drawing Room   -   #40
    Helghast004's Avatar Jelly Filled Donut

What I dont agree with is making spanish the second official language of the US
    Is there an official language of the United States then?

Ah...touche.

Yes the US doesnt have an official language. But what can be an obvious choice? English is definetly a dominate language here...at anyrate I have no further answers.

As for me evacuating...we'll just use this time to go camping. We leave in the morning for the state park further inland. If not, we'll just go to missouri with my family.
    Last edited by Helghast004; 09-22-2005 at 04:14 AM.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast