Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Syria Is Next!

Originally posted by myfiles3000@20 April 2003 - 18:10
    Well...Lets take a look at that...Why would the US go after Saddam and not Israel?

What possible difference could there be between a country that was intent on conquering other countries, and had in fact used WMD in previous wars and against its own people, recently...and a country who is only interested in not losing it's own land to its neighbors.

How about you for example...If you had two people in your neighborhood...one who had poisoned all the neighbors' pets with rat poison, and even tried to kick one guy off of his own property...and another who was in a dispute about who's property a fence was on, oh, and he has a box of rat poison too but has never used it for anything other than rats...Which would you be calling the police on?

Peace
    NE1, do you believe that Israel has committed war crimes in the past 50 years?
    I know...There is alot of debate on the subject.
    In the last 50 years, what countries have not commited acts that would be definable as war crimes in time of war?
    I would have to say that the whole land dispute between Irael and Palistine has resulted in numerous atrocities on both sides.

Both sides blame the other for "starting it".

The US and other countries have been trying to get them both to find a way for peace, but there have been too many variables, including terrorist factions that act, uncontrolled and uncondoned by their individual governments.

Thats two small countries. Both equally matched. Fighting on equal terms, regardless of what either would have us believe.

And there is hope there.

Oh...And the citizens of each country, for the most part, support their leadership.
    And no use of WMD against each other that was condoned by either government.

What point were you making?

2. The Drawing Room   -   #42
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    Next one starts March 2004. Shhhhhhhh!

3. The Drawing Room   -   #43
    Poster
    Originally posted by zapjb@24 April 2003 - 17:46
    Next one starts March 2004. Shhhhhhhh!
    Blimey zapjb,I very much doubt the potential perpetrators (I wonder who that may be....lol) of that one'll keep it quiet,they don't appear to have either the intelligence nor the sophistication to do anything with even the slightest degree of subtlety.

We have an old saying here: "Taking a sledgehammer to crack a nut" make no mistake,we'll see plenty more attempts at that one in the years to come.

Todays 'trivia' question is this: Which is the only nation on this planet who has has consistently used WMD on many occasions this century,Nuclear (twice),Napalm,Metadioxin (agent orange) to name just 3,the latter 2 used thousands of times in the late 1960's in failed attempts to crush an ideal?

Alas,no prizes for guessing,but I suspect the 'Ministry of truth' has been hard at work justifying their use,if not (yet) trying to conceal the facts from future history studies.Unless,of course,many of their population are already brainwashed/stupid/mentally ill enough to ignore/disbelieve the truth

what???..........mass paranoia......never !!!

Take care.

nb: before aforementioned paranoia grips any of the posters on here,I was very careful to state 'many'........... not all.
    I know just how dangerous people with paranoid delusions can be XXX

4. The Drawing Room   -   #44
    MagicNakor's Avatar On the Peripheral
    How many of you knew that the same nation forced the Japanese Emperor to renounce his divinity at the end of WWII? Just another trivia thing.

things are quiet until hitler decides he'd like to invade russia
    so, he does
    the russians are like "OMG WTF D00DZ, STOP TKING"
    and the germans are still like "omg ph34r n00bz"
    the russians fall back, all the way to moscow
    and then they all begin h4xing, which brings on the russian winter
    the germans are like "wtf, h4x"
    -- WW2 for the l33t

5. The Drawing Room   -   #45
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    So, reading this thread......

Your choice is:

1/ 1984, with Big Brother

or

2/ Brave New World

Hmmm...........neither appeals to me.

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

6. The Drawing Room   -   #46
    Poster
    Originally posted by hobbes@15 April 2003 - 02:41
    I really hope not.

You need to justify the Iraqi invasion first, and this has not been done.

Even if we do, this has nothing to do with Israel.
    Ummm I know this is going back a bit but..
    I think the world has now seen enough justification(ie mass graves and on and on) just by what we've already found.
    It's The American people that now can ask for some justification.
    The war was partly sold on the WMD question.
    Saddam admitted to having these weapons and we will find them.
    Or will we?
    Did saddam try to bluff and play the hand on the world stage never really having any WMD?
    It would'nt be the first time its happened!
    Just a thought

7. The Drawing Room   -   #47
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Originally posted by MagicNakor@25 April 2003 - 16:58
    How many of you knew that the same nation forced the Japanese Emperor to renounce his divinity at the end of WWII? Just another trivia thing.

Is Japan worse off for this having happened?

MacArthur's handling of Japan WAS heavy-handed-it was also unbelievably successful.
    I'm sure Japan's citizens don't miss the feudal system.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

8. The Drawing Room   -   #48
    MagicNakor's Avatar On the Peripheral
    I just brought it up to showcase some of the arrogant postering. More of a "And what right do they have to tell others how to live/what to believe." My history expertise is slightly further back in time. I know I've got a number of history books on Japan; maybe one of them will be "recent" enough to flesh out some details.

things are quiet until hitler decides he'd like to invade russia
    so, he does
    the russians are like "OMG WTF D00DZ, STOP TKING"
    and the germans are still like "omg ph34r n00bz"
    the russians fall back, all the way to moscow
    and then they all begin h4xing, which brings on the russian winter
    the germans are like "wtf, h4x"
    -- WW2 for the l33t

9. The Drawing Room   -   #49
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Originally posted by MagicNakor@20 May 2003 - 20:04
    I just brought it up to showcase some of the arrogant postering. More of a "And what right do they have to tell others how to live/what to believe." My history expertise is slightly further back in time. I know I've got a number of history books on Japan; maybe one of them will be "recent" enough to flesh out some details.

Ah-who knows?
    I have just come to regard Japan as possibly the most 'successful' of our interventions; they even learned how to job us on the trade issue.

If we could end up with a similar result in Iraq, it would be a plus, even if Iraq became a trade monster a'la Japan.

The likelihood is something less, I fear-the religious aspect bodes for a longer stewardship by the U.S.; therein lies, as of now, the seemingly insurmountable rub.

Barring some other developments, of course.......
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

10. The Drawing Room   -   #50
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    Why j2k4?

Prior to the Iraq/Iran war, which wasnt so long ago, this was a very westernised country.

It had, a very advanced education and health service (the Health Service was probably better than that available in most of the USA, and certainly most of the UK). The education system was not religion orientated, but concentrated on the same aspects taught in any western school system.

Unlike most of the Arab states in the region, which havent 'tasted' the benefits of western culture, I would say a minimum of involvement by the USA would be necessary.

The sooner the 'rebuilding' is turned over to the UN the better.

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast