Thread: BlackViper- yea or nay?

clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    lynx's Avatar .
    Fresh Daemon has taken systems not suited to running XP, then complains that the tweaks don't yield good results. He also tries to apply current hardware prices to these systems, even though they are not capable of utilising that hardware.

I've certainly applied some of BlackViper's tweaks and they have produced substantial benefits - not only is the memory usage reduced, the fact that the services are not running gives a performance boost too.

And his comments about the page file are flat out wrong. This is one area which is widely acknowledge to produce performance gains, it isn't something which BlackViper has dreamt up on his own.

I think the problem is that Fresh Daemon doesn't understand where these tweaks will result in performance gains, so when they don't produce gains where he wants them he dismisses them as inadequate.

0/10
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    I use some of BV stuff. Mainly to turn off services I don't want running.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Quote Originally Posted by lynx
    Fresh Daemon has taken systems not suited to running XP, then complains that the tweaks don't yield good results. He also tries to apply current hardware prices to these systems, even though they are not capable of utilising that hardware.
    Yes, I thought that also.

I've certainly applied some of BlackViper's tweaks and they have produced substantial benefits - not only is the memory usage reduced, the fact that the services are not running gives a performance boost too.

And his comments about the page file are flat out wrong. This is one area which is widely acknowledge to produce performance gains, it isn't something which BlackViper has dreamt up on his own.

I think the problem is that Fresh Daemon doesn't understand where these tweaks will result in performance gains, so when they don't produce gains where he wants them he dismisses them as inadequate.
    OK, the million dollar question...where would the tweaks show up and what apps could quantify the boost?
    I admit to having an almost philosophical attraction to the BV methodology..it just seems logical, but outside of "feeling" faster, I've never tried to quantify the alledged improvements.
    Furthermore, even if the performance is not improved, I have never suffered the catastrophic system impairment that FDaemon is so concerned about. Why should BV's advice be held to blame if the problem is an inexperienced user?

0/10

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    I'v tryed most with no ill affects , only problem was a memory tweak but it was my Ati card that was the culprit .

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    lynx's Avatar .
    When you've been used to running with these tweaks active for as long as I have, it is difficult to remember where the performance gains actually were.

I'd have to agree that the performance improvements from stopping services does not at first appear to be all that great, and I'll explain why. The memory usage of many services actually grows with use. If you take a memory snapshot shortly after starting the system you see a fairly low amount of memory usage. Start the system without these services and you still show a fairly low amount of memory usage, the the gains don't appear too significant.

Now start your system again (with the services) and let it run normally for some time (remember heavily used systems may be active for days). Now take a memory snapshot. Then stop the services in question, and take another memory snapshot. Depending on the number of services and which they are you may well find that your memory requirements drop by several 10s or even 100s of Megabytes, in percentage terms I've seen gains of 25% and more.

This is just one example of where Fresh Daemon's lack of system knowledge leads him to false conclusions.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    S!X's Avatar L33T Member BT Rep: +5
    lynx is right about the stopping services tweak, I used it for the longest time, i saw no difference in performance.
    Last edited by S!X; 09-17-2005 at 07:07 AM.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    lynx's Avatar .
    Quote Originally Posted by Linkin Park
    lynx is right about the stopping services tweak, I used it for the longest time, i saw no difference in performance.
    Except that's the opposite of what I said. I said if you use it for a short time you see little benefit, but over a long period you see good memory gains. These in turn can lead to performance benefits through reduced paging.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    I agree with Lynx also.

Bush is a great President.