Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Isp

hugoharding's Avatar its changed since 02
    How much of P2P activity can an ISP see?

Do they just see that you've shared so many MB on each day, or do they see the files you've downloaded, uploaded etc. ?

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    they propably see every transfer that is made which will include filelists, uploads and downloads.

so just about everything if they can be arsed to piece the packets together.

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    Jibbler's Avatar proud member of MDS
    They can see everything, IF and only IF, they are watching. It takes a huge amount of resouces to monitor online activity. In addition, they need to first establish probable cause, then get a search warrant at an evidence hearing. Don't worry, you will be the very last to know. Just keep sharing, and don't believe the hype. B)
    Proud member of MDS

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    Poster
    Not that I'm an expert, but you really don't have much to worry about. The news you see about people getting busted have ridiculous amounts of files and they probably download all day. If you download 100 songs a day, consistently your ISP might notice something. Just moderate. No one is going to attack you for download a couple songs. It's the people who abuse the no limit caps.

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    I thought isp were now obliged by law to keep track and records of all peoples online activities.

Or am i scarmongering.

either way if you are just a casual kazaa user the odds of getting caught are mind boggaling.

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    Poster
    I'm sure they do have logs of everything but as you said being a casual user should not give them suspicion.

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    harrycary's Avatar Poster
    Go to your ISPs website and view their privacy policy.
    I use Cox communications here in the U.S. They log the time your on and the bandwidth you use. This information is kept for an "indefinite" amount of time to help improve their networks.
    It's similar to your local waterworks.
    Any more would/should be a violation of your rights. Comparable to the phone company listening in on your calls.

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    Originally posted by harrycary@14 April 2003 - 19:42
    Comparable to the phone company listening in on your calls.
    The phone company doesn't listen to your calls. That's highly illegal and immoral. Privacy is taken very seriously.
    Proud member of MDS

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    Originally posted by 4play@14 April 2003 - 19:06
    I thought isp were now obliged by law to keep track and records of all peoples online activities.
    They are able to maintain usage stats internally, but they cannot provide ANY information to an outside source without a proper search warrant. The RIAA is trying to change all that, but currently you are protected by the privacy policy at your ISP.

An outside party could subpeona those records, but I highly doubt it. In fact, I've even purchased "backup" copies of software and movies from people on the web. Of course, this is highly illegal, but it goes on everyday. The RIAA cares very little about filesharing. However, you are committing a crime when you distribute copyrighted material FOR A PROFIT. So don't sell what you download, and go about your business.
    Proud member of MDS

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    harrycary's Avatar Poster
    The phone company doesn't listen to your calls. That's highly illegal and immoral. Privacy is taken very seriously. 
    Jibbler,
    Duh, I stated that it would be comparable to a phone company listening in on your phone calls. Yes of course that is illegal. I didn't mean to imply that it isn't.

Please read other peoples' posts more carefully before replying.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast