Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for a new football(soccer) jersey

JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by soopaman
    Take the "casual" movement as an example - no replica kits to be seen but no-one would really question their commitment to the team. Each to their own though.
    Yeah, kicking feck out of people and getting the team a bad reputation, that's the ticket.

2. Sports Club   -   #12
    Quote Originally Posted by manker
    Names on shirts are for kids and post-Euro 96 fans. You don't need an overpriced piece of nylon ,with someone elses name on the back and a corporate advertisement on the front, to support a team. Take the "casual" movement as an example - no replica kits to be seen but no-one would really question their commitment to the team. Each to their own though.
    Do you go to a lot of football matches. More people wear shirts with names on the back than do not.

Have you seen the shirt sales when a new player is signed. Don't tell me that these are all Dads buying shirts for their kids.

As it is, I only have the one shirt with a name on the back - which I bought some time ago, but I would never say that the practice is only for kids. It's blatantly not.

I didn't say it was solely the preserve of the young - "Names on shirts are for kids AND post-Euro 96 fans". It seems that is your only objection - you say nothing about the blatant over-pricing and frequent changes of strip or the fact that you are a walking billboard. I aint against Football shirts, i have several from trips abroad to watch matches, but i don't wear them to matches - don't like to stand out as a "fan".

Jpaul -

^^ No shirts there - so maybe you have a point !! hahahaha
    Signature removed

3. Sports Club   -   #13
    maebach's Avatar Team FST Captain
    thanks for the names you guys, but I never realised how I dont have a favourite team. I try to stay away from band wagon jumping. I think I like this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Soccer-Jerse...QQcmdZViewItem

I think I should first ask what team to support. I know it sounds stupid, but I feel like a fool around everybody. You all have a team that you watch, I just find a top team and hang with them for a bit.

4. Sports Club   -   #14
    JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    That Duchland top looks red.

5. Sports Club   -   #15
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Quote Originally Posted by manker
    Do you go to a lot of football matches. More people wear shirts with names on the back than do not.

Have you seen the shirt sales when a new player is signed. Don't tell me that these are all Dads buying shirts for their kids.

As it is, I only have the one shirt with a name on the back - which I bought some time ago, but I would never say that the practice is only for kids. It's blatantly not.

I didn't say it was solely the preserve of the young - "Names on shirts are for kids AND post-Euro 96 fans". It seems that is your only objection - you say nothing about the blatant over-pricing and frequent changes of strip or the fact that you are a walking billboard. I aint against Football shirts, i have several from trips abroad to watch matches, but i don't wear them to matches - don't like to stand out as a "fan".
    Actually, you did say it was soley the preserve of the young - you added the bit in about post Euro 96 later on.
    Quote Originally Posted by you
    Only kids have names printed on t-shirts
    How does one tell if a person is a post Euro 96 fan. It can't be the name on the shirt thing because I have one.

Perhaps you meant that you don't care to purchase one and hold a peculiar stereotypical view of those that do.

As to the question of being a walking billboard -- that's a different point entirely and doesn't detract from your incorrect assertion that only kids wear shirts with names on the back.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

6. Sports Club   -   #16
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Quote Originally Posted by maebach
    thanks for the names you guys, but I never realised how I dont have a favourite team. I try to stay away from band wagon jumping. I think I like this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Soccer-Jerse...QQcmdZViewItem

I think I should first ask what team to support. I know it sounds stupid, but I feel like a fool around everybody. You all have a team that you watch, I just find a top team and hang with them for a bit.
    Swansea City are currently top.

They're playing some great football with Lee Trundle playing the best stuff of his career.

Swansea - FTW
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

7. Sports Club   -   #17
    So what is your point about the corporate advertising and overpricing, which I'm sure I mentioned?? Putting advertisements for corporations on my sons, or my own, chest isn't something I feel comfortable with. It seems you're being overly "touchy" about this "kids" comment - I wouldn't hold your breath for a retraction because that is my opinion and overall experience from watching the beautiful game home and away, domestic and foreign, for 25 odd years. The worst example of why I can't stand replica shirt wearing fans was just after David Beckham was sold to Real Madrid - I saw a young, female fan at Old Trafford wearing a Real Madrid shirt with "Beckham 23" on the back. What the hell is going on in the world ??? Still as I said "each to their own".

maebach - support the team you are drawn to with your heart - please don't just follow who is popular or top of the league that week. No-one likes a "fairweather" or "plastic" fan !!
    Signature removed

8. Sports Club   -   #18
    manker's Avatar effendi
    So what is your point about the corporate advertising and overpricing, which I'm sure I mentioned?? Putting advertisements for corporations on my sons, or my own, chest isn't something I feel comfortable with. It seems you're being overly "touchy" about this "kids" comment - I wouldn't hold your breath for a retraction because that is my opinion and overall experience from watching the beautiful game home and away, domestic and foreign, for 25 odd years. The worst example of why I can't stand replica shirt wearing fans was just after David Beckham was sold to Real Madrid - I saw a young, female fan at Old Trafford wearing a Real Madrid shirt with "Beckham 23" on the back. What the hell is going on in the world ??? Still as I said "each to their own".
    I'm not really touchy about it, I noticed that you posted drivel and decided to comment. Clearly, it isn't just kids who wear shirts with players' names on the back.

As to your new point about wearing a company logo ... I trust you only wear bland, non-descript clothes without any company logo showing. Off the top of my head, most clothing manufacturers make their logo visible. Footwear is also going to be a problem - how do you manage.

However, if you're happy with Tesco's own brand, that's entirely a matter for you.

Each to his own

9. Sports Club   -   #19
    If you don't have a favourite team it's best to get a Internation shirt.

That Robben one looks mighty fine, if you do buy it when it arrives google for images of the shit and check everything is on it (Nike tick, colour are all good, name is spelt right, logo looks the same) as some Ebayers seem fake shirts.

Robben is one of the most exciting and best young players (He scored against Germany recently) and is an automatic starter for the Worlds 2nd best Internation Country.

Most importantly check that the shirt has a nike lable attached to it via a piece of string, you can just see it on the photo's it's in black, it has a little Nike authentic thingy on it and without that your hsirt is worth nothing more than a few cents.
    Last edited by Peerzy; 09-17-2005 at 07:57 PM.

10. Sports Club   -   #20
    So you haven't got anything constructive to say about the exploitative prices imposed on fans like yourself??

I mostly wear clothes with no heavy labelling - such as CP Company or Paul Smith. I certainly don't wear Chav brands - which i'm sure you are aware of living in Swansea. As for footwear - we have things called shoes in England (and much of the rest of the world) - they traditionally aren't covered in logos, except maybe if you go for cheap brands like Kickers or whatever. As for trainers - its a problem but I mostly go for Adidas (as long as they are made in Europe) - but I've been wearing Adidas trainers since the 1970's so I am not about to change that.

So what DO you think about being ripped off £40-£50 for a £2 shirt made in a sweat-shop in the Far East ?? Surely the exploitation of the young and poor isn't something you would want your beloved Swansea to be involved with? It's a sad fact that modern day football has become a merchandising bonanza, and I know clubs need the cash to pay the wages to attract the top players (which is a discussion for another day - lol) but there has to be a better way !!

Did Swansea win today at Hartlepool - I havent seen the results for any games yet ?? If Brentford lose you will get a nice lead at the top of the table.
    Signature removed

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast