Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cable Modem issues

Not sure if this is Hardware or Software but im putting it here as the Hardware people are far smarter than those Software losers

Mate has a 600Mhz AMD piece of shit. He completely fooked it up with spyware adware and such to the point that it wouldn't even load.

I format it and install Xp and everythings fine but his NTL Cable modem doesn't work anymore. He doesn't have a router, it's just the modem connected to the PC (Via USB).

The Windows Xp wizard just says the device should already be working, if it's not then fook knows.

The modem is this:

An ntl:home Broadband Internet cable connection requires a separate stand alone cable modem or the cable modem built into your digital TV set-top box. This is dependent upon where you live.

There's no need to worry about installation. Once we have installed the Broadband Internet cable connection to your house either via the standalone cable modem unit or via the digital TV set-top box, we provide you with a Broadband Installer CD-rom and easy to follow instructions for you to get up and running.

Here's what you get:

* Easy to install via USB connection (or optional ethernet card and cable for Macs)
    * Attractive compact design stand alone cable modem or set-top box
    Pc spec is something like this:

600Mhz AMD
    128Mb of Ram
    Inbuilt graphics card (like 4mb)

Also in the quote about the modem it says Install CD, this is just a cd with a program on it to moniter your usage so you don't go over NTL's cap. It installs no drivers or anything.

The Modem shows up in device manager and says the device is working perfectly.

Thanks in advanced
    Last edited by Peerzy; 09-17-2005 at 05:09 PM.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Call the internet service provider.

Help with connection setup is part of what we pay for.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    The NTL help service is worse than AOL, i will call them if i need to however when i have done in the past they are nothing more than people who know nothing about the advice they are giving and they simply read from a card saying pull the plug on the modem for 2 minutes and then reconnect, which i have done. When i've had trouble with my modem in the past i've moved it about a bit (as it gets quite hot) and give it a 30 minute break. Both have done nothing to my friends modem.

I have no drivers on my pc's that i know of that enable the modem to work, and the USB port is working as i plugged my USB Memory Stick in and opened some files from that.

Pinging a website says that all packets were lost so it's not just his browser or something like that.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    lynx's Avatar .
    First off, there's no way a USB network port (which is effectively what it is) will work without drivers of some sort. Either you've already installed them or you are looking at the wrong device. There are certainly drivers for all the ntl cable modems I've found so far.

Have a look here to see if you can find later/better drivers. There are a few about halfway down the page. I can't be any more precise because you haven't fully identified the modem.

Edit: alternatively, if the pc and modem both have an ethernet port use that instead.
    Last edited by lynx; 09-17-2005 at 06:25 PM.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Santa's Avatar dvhyt5er
    it sometimes helps to simply turn off modem for a minute
    reboot
    and then reconnect

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Gripper's Avatar Dexter's Apprentice.
    http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/index.php? you may find help here,I used my install cd that came when I installed my ntl modem,I got mine connected through ethernet,I think I had problems when i first put it on,but got there in the end

All spelling mistakes and grammatical errors in my post's are intentional.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by lynx
    First off, there's no way a USB network port (which is effectively what it is) will work without drivers of some sort. Either you've already installed them or you are looking at the wrong device. There are certainly drivers for all the ntl cable modems I've found so far.

The USB port worked fine with a USB Memory Stick, and everytime i've done reinstalls on my computers here i havn't needed any drivers, although i don't use the USB option i use a network cable and such. I asked him if he had a motherboard disc and we searched and couldn't find one, so im wondering if it needs some USB drivers like you said.

As far as i know it has no ethernet port.

Also the link you gave me i click to download the USB drivers for his modem and it says page isn't there.

He has the same modem as me so if it's any help i can post the numbers and such that are on the sticker on the bottem.

He has the 2MB NTL connection by the way and only uses it for email and MSN, he downloads nothing (apart from virii, spyware and adware it seems)

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Peerzy have a read through this thread http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/sh...ad.php?t=35119

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by gripper103.2
    Peerzy have a read through this thread http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/sh...ad.php?t=35119

Yeah, so i know i need the drivers now. My NTL CD is MIA as is my mates, and im having trouble finding some linkage to them. NTL website is about as helpful as Win Xp has been.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Found this site peerzy,its the ambit usb drivers you need I think
    http://list.driverguide.com/list/company2087/
    you need to join the sitr to access them ,sorry mate
    Last edited by Gripper; 09-17-2005 at 08:52 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast