Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Overwriting A Cd-r

I have always been told that to be able to use CD a more than once you have to get CD-RW's. but on the computer I have now it can overwrite CD-R's. is this strange or is there something that computer makers are putting in the newer comp. to make them do this? is there any drawbacks to doing this, like maybe it doesn't write to the CD-R as well as it would if I used a blank CD-R or CD-RW?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    kAb's Avatar Poster
    have you tried it? and does it work?

i haven't heard about this, but it sounds like a nice feature :-)

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    yeah I tried it and it works, I found out it did this on accident. I had a bunch of pictures on a cd and was going to put more on it and after it was done it had overwritten all the pics I had on it. I was mad at first but then I tried it on other cds and it overwrited them too, so now I don't have to worry about messing up a cd when it's recording cause I can just o/w it!

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Skillian's Avatar T H F C f a n BT Rep: +1
    hmmm..., not sure if I believe this.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    I'm dead serious, it won't work on audio cd's that are finalized or on disk that is closed like AOL try outs, but on regular disk that contain data it will overwrite it.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Poster
    what burning software do you use?and where does it have the option to "overwrite"?
    I'm pretty sure this smells like

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    harrycary's Avatar Poster
    I don't believe it.
    Maybe you didn't close(finalize, create a TOC) the CD originally? Than, when you wrote to it again, that original sector you burned was "lost"(for lack of a better word).
    The substrate(aluminum) within the a CD-R is a different composition then that used in CD-RWs.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Originally posted by Master YodaX@15 April 2003 - 03:08
    what burning software do you use?and where does it have the option to "overwrite"?
    I'm pretty sure this smells like
    I have RecordNow. there is no overwriting option, what happens is I insert the disk with data on it and click next and then a pop up says: Warning
    The disc you have inserted already contains data. You may still add data, however if you add files that already exist on the disc, they will be overwritten.

Are you sure you want to continue?

and then I press yes and it overwrites everything. I know it says 'if you add files that already exist on the disc, they will be overwritten' but if you add anything it still overwrites it.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Poster
    lol its just probably losing your old data and writing the new one on empty space.lol
    this is a result of crappy software not a great new feature

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    that's probably it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast