Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: NASA Invents Time Machine!

clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbarossa

It's a shame that it seems that NASA are content to re-use old ideas and methods, without even attempting to design a fully-resuable spacecraft for the venture.

Unless they become fully committed in establishing a semi-permanent moonbase, I don't see that there are going to be enough technological or scientific benefits to justify the costs of this. It's just another flag-planting exercise.
    Pretty much, yes.
    It's also a way for NASA to justify it's existence.
    Poor NASA is caught between the proverbial "Moon and New York City"...severe budget cuts have hamstrung R&D,the two shuttle disasters and the resulting outcry over safety issues and general public apathy have all combined to force them into a defensive, quick-fix mentality.

The technology they will employ (even if boosted with steroids) will only scale up to a Mars project...Man won't go any further than Mars strapped on top of a roman candle.
    Any pretense of extraSolar exploration will have to include technologies way different than those currently proposed.

I think it's clear we have the brains, just not the will, to make real progress in space.
    After all, we went from barely functional military rockets to the Moon in under a decade. Since then....nada, really.

Maybe NASA could convince evangelical Christians that they could build a stairway to Heaven (the boys of SouthPark could...).
    That would certainly provide a much needed influx of fervor and cash into a program in dire need of both.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

2. The Drawing Room   -   #12
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Quote Originally Posted by Sara
    Quote Originally Posted by manker
    For mandatory subscription to by astronauts - lest they're not allowed into space?

Look manker...I know you were up all night stressing that the board was down, and so you are not quite on full par today, but please try and make sense. That last comment was just not up to your usual grammatically correct and coherence levels.
    Reads alrite to me.

I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #13
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    "One small step for a man, one giant backward step for mankind..."

4. The Drawing Room   -   #14
    Gripper's Avatar Dexter's Apprentice.
    Be cool if they set up a moonbase and the power supply blows up and sends the base hurtling into space,where they meet loads of cool aliens.
    The flag won't be there cos the martians nicked it,space gypsies don't ya know.

All spelling mistakes and grammatical errors in my post's are intentional.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #15
    enoughfakefiles's Avatar Ad ministrator
    Quote Originally Posted by gripper103.2
    Be cool if they set up a moonbase and the power supply blows up and sends the base hurtling into space,where they meet loads of cool aliens.
    The flag won't be there cos the martians nicked it,space gypsies don't ya know.
    The flag won't be there because it will have blown away in the wind.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #16
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    The "planting" of the US flag on the moon was for photographics purposes only. It's not like we planted a flag and proclaimed it US property.

A little known fact: Because there was no good ground in which to stake the flag, the boosters that lifted the lunar module off the moon blew the flag over on liftoff.

yo

7. The Drawing Room   -   #17
    Gripper's Avatar Dexter's Apprentice.
    I still remember watching it on TV it was the most exciting thing I'd ever seen,if I'd been first on the moon I'd have written Gripper woz here in the dust,it was an achievment so why not stick up a flag.

All spelling mistakes and grammatical errors in my post's are intentional.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #18
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    This sux...

If they ever got around to building a real bloody space station it could be used for so much... not Just a stepping stone to elswhere.

IF they build a real station on the moon though, it will be worth it. Just visiting it means shit, its a waste of money. Staying there, that should be the target here.

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

9. The Drawing Room   -   #19
    haha wtf

10. The Drawing Room   -   #20
    And here goes 2020 but they are still not there.. except the flag.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast